Espn vs fox

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Earl made a comment in the coach thread that got me started thinking (a dangerous pastime).

Agree, which makes ESPN's action in bumping it to the top of their feed instructive. Their anxiety over Fox has made them do some things which are mystifying., not that they were all that reliable a source to begin with...
Has FOX already started making a dent on the invincible ESPN armor? Does ESPN think it needs gossip magazine type stories to stay on top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I watch neither, unless it is an SEC football game then I mute the tv. IMO they both suck.

I do not mute ESPN if Brad Nessler and Todd Blackledge are doing the game.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Earl made a comment in the coach thread that got me started thinking (a dangerous pastime).

Has FOX already started making a dent on the invincible ESPN armor? Does ESPN think it needs gossip magazine type stories to stay on top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...
FOX was under estimated by CNN. Then by ABC, CBS and NBC. I doubt ESPN will follow suit. They have a long way to go but it looks to me that they are willing to take on ESPN, unlike CBSSN and NBCSN were. They were content to be also-rans. FOX1 has upped the ante.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I tune into ESPN to watch sports. Sportscenter has gotten way too cutesy for my taste. PTI is pretty good and I can tolerate Around the Horn, but their other shows are a bunch of crap.

Their 30 for 30 shows are usually well done and will watch if the topic interests me. GameDay is fun, but its the same old same old after a while.

I really miss the old Roy Firestone Show. He did some great interviews. But he wasn't as hawt as Erin Andrews, so I guess he wouldn't make it today.

Fox Sports One seems to have a lot of soccer, car racing and football games involving teams I don't care about, so I don't know what's going on there.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Has FOX already started making a dent on the invincible ESPN armor?
Based on what I've seen of FS1, I doubt it. Their sports news and commentary programs are terrible and their game broadcasts have a weird vibe to them. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but it's not very enjoyable to watch.

I don't have any interest in soccer, racing or ultimate fighting, so I can't comment on that programming.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
Based on what I've seen of FS1, I doubt it. Their sports news and commentary programs are terrible and their game broadcasts have a weird vibe to them. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but it's not very enjoyable to watch.

I don't have any interest in soccer, racing or ultimate fighting, so I can't comment on that programming.
I agree with you. There's something I don't like about them. I feel the same way watching the CBSSports cable channel. Besides Brando, there's something off about it.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Fox is good for the NFL coverage I enjoy that. Fox's coverage of the European Cup (soccer) is sort of OK. Their game selection is certainly questionable as they fail to get the top games. I mean Glasgow Celtic has not been a top team in a long, long time. As for college football, again marginally OK. I certainly can't stand their sports chat show which looks very amateurish and has that old, previous morning host on who knows nothing about college football except ND which means he is very limited. I don't think he has got over the beat down they got in last year's NC. I'll stick with ESPN until things improve greatly on Fox

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
I tune into ESPN to watch sports. Sportscenter has gotten way too cutesy for my taste. PTI is pretty good and I can tolerate Around the Horn, but their other shows are a bunch of crap.

Their 30 for 30 shows are usually well done and will watch if the topic interests me. GameDay is fun, but its the same old same old after a while.

I really miss the old Roy Firestone Show. He did some great interviews. But he wasn't as hawt as Erin Andrews, so I guess he wouldn't make it today.

Fox Sports One seems to have a lot of soccer, car racing and football games involving teams I don't care about, so I don't know what's going on there.
Colin Cowherd's new "football" show (on Sunday mornings, I think), is the best thing on ESPN right now. Kid you not.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
You will have your choice tonight:

7:30 PM (EST) No. 10 Oklahoma at No. 6 Baylor FOX Sports 1

9:00 PM (EST) No. 3 Oregon at No. 5 Stanford ESPN

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
ESPN has college football experts. You may not always agree with them, but for the most part they know the game and know what they are talking about. FOX1, integrates their college and NFL too much. Very few of the guys talking about the college game know what they are talking about like the guys on ESPN do. Until they get some knowlegable people in there that "specialize" in the game they will not compete. ESPN has different people that "specialize" in different sports, I believe that is what makes them the leader.

KnockturnalTide

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 8, 2012
A, A

Crowd noise or the lack of it maybe?

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think some competition, actually any competition, will be good for ESPN. They have way too much influence in sports right now and are very complacent. I have not been all that excited about what Fox is doing so far, but it's very early to write them off. I remember when ESPN started and broadcast a lot of Australian rules football (I became a fan, actually). And there is plenty of stuff on ESPN that I would never watch (e.g. poker games). When Fox News started some of it was very amateurish, and right now, they may be the most watched news organization in America, certainly far and away the cable leader.

I don't like the way CBS and NBC basically just didn't even really try. So, I hope Fox gets better and I hope the competition makes ESPN better.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I think some competition, actually any competition, will be good for ESPN. They have way too much influence in sports right now and are very complacent. I have not been all that excited about what Fox is doing so far, but it's very early to write them off. I remember when ESPN started and broadcast a lot of Australian rules football (I became a fan, actually). And there is plenty of stuff on ESPN that I would never watch (e.g. poker games). When Fox News started some of it was very amateurish, and right now, they may be the most watched news organization in America, certainly far and away the cable leader.

I don't like the way CBS and NBC basically just didn't even really try. So, I hope Fox gets better and I hope the competition makes ESPN better.
I remember all of the crazy programming on ESPN in the early years. Professional slow pitch softball, some really weird lumberjack-type games from Scotland or Ireland, some kick-boxing from the far east. The Aussie rules football was the only thing that anybody I knew had any real interest in. All in all, the programming aside from Sport Center and a couple of commentary/discussion shows was pretty bad. When it was first reported that ESPN might get the NBA, NFL, MLB or hockey we all kind of laughed it off. The whole idea was ridiculous. Times have certainly changed.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I prefer College Football Final and SC and Gameday, and would rather watch football on ESPN.

What helps Fox Sports 1 in getting my eye is all the MMA stuff.

beardensdaman44

All-SEC
Mar 7, 2006
Colin Cowherd's new "football" show (on Sunday mornings, I think), is the best thing on ESPN right now. Kid you not.
Have you not seen Highly Questionable on ESPN2 at 3? Dan LeBatard , Bomani Jones and Papi (Dan's Dad) are hysterical and make better points and valid arguments. I'm done with PTI and Around the Horn.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.