The FDA wants to ban all trans fats

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
the FDA is supposed to use science to justify its limited role in assuring the safety of the American food supply. It is not supposed to run like an activist organization while ignoring science hellbent on encroaching on liberty instead of doing so only as a last resort to truly protect the public from something that will actually kill them. The science does not support the notion of banning trans fats from the food supply. the FDA needs to back it on up. Same for limiting salt and a host of other do gooder busy body nanny activist stupid ignorant not supported by science quack-science ideas.
Actually it does.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Actually it does.
LOL. I'm not sure where NT15 gets his science. As someone who's had family members who've had heart attacks it's about time. The CDC has a study that found 10,000 to 20,000 heart attacks and 3,000 to 7,000 coronary heart disease deaths could be stopped by this.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
LOL. I'm not sure where NT15 gets his science. As someone who's had family members who've had heart attacks it's about time. The CDC has a study that found 10,000 to 20,000 heart attacks and 3,000 to 7,000 coronary heart disease deaths could be stopped by this.
So, are you advocating all items that increase the risk of heart disease or just this one?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
So, are you advocating all items that increase the risk of heart disease or just this one?
Never said that. Why is this a big deal to you guys? Most places have already started voluntarily removing this from their menus.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
What about the science tells you that trans fats need to be banned? And are you distinguishing between man-made trans fats and naturally occurring trans fats, or is banning both okay to you?
The proposed rule deals only by man made trans fats. Those naturally occurring are found in very small amounts in dairy & meat. It makes zero health sense to add man made artery clogging trans fats to the food supply.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
This link may clear up some misunderstandings
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/trans-fat-facts-8/trans-fat-truth

So just what are trans fats? There are two types -- the naturally occurring type, found in small amounts in dairy and meat, and the artificial kind that results when liquid oils are hardened into "partially hydrogenated" fats. Natural trans fats are not the ones of concern, especially if you usually choose low-fat dairy and lean meats. The real worry in the American diet is the artificial trans fats, which are used extensively in fried foods, baked goods, cookies, icings, crackers, packaged snack foods, microwave popcorn, and some stick margarines.

These artificial trans fats started getting lots of attention after research showed that they could increase the risk for heart disease by increasing "bad" LDL cholesterol and decreasing "good" HDL cholesterol.

The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting trans fat to less than 2 grams per day (a figure that includes the naturally occurring trans fats). The 2005 U.S. Dietary Guidelines simply recommend keeping trans-fats consumption as low as possible.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Never said that. Why is this a big deal to you guys? Most places have already started voluntarily removing this from their menus.
Funny. Could that be market pressure adjusting food composition?

It is a big deal because the government does not need to be in the business of dictating the lifestyle of citizens. We can ban loads of things that are "bad" for us, but that is not exactly a free society.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think everything should be allowed; when there is evidence that certain things (cigarettes, trans fats, etc) cause health issues, put out a notice to all. If anyone says "It won't hurt me", but then it does in fact bring on health problems, take em out to the woods and shoot 'em for being stupid. No reason my tax (or health care) dollars should support a health care industry that supports idiots who want to (and should be allowed to) die.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I'm not sure which bothers me more. The ever growing encroachment on liberties by busybody do-gooders, or the ho-hum 'it's good for us... please sir may I have another?' attitude from those who don't value the freedoms of others, much less their own.

just the price we have to pay to be part of the "club" :p

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The proposed rule deals only by man made trans fats. Those naturally occurring are found in very small amounts in dairy & meat. It makes zero health sense to add man made artery clogging trans fats to the food supply.
So you distinguish between "man-made" and "naturally-occurring" when deciding what is and is not okay to be added to foods? Naturally occurring substances that also clog our arteries are okay in your opinion?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
You still don't understand, do you?
It's not the government's place to decide what people can and can't purchase and consume. It's the Constitutional freedom of each and every person to determine that for themselves!!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
You still don't understand, do you?
It's not the government's place to decide what people can and can't purchase and consume. It's the Constitutional freedom of each and every person to determine that for themselves!!
They don't get the difference between Salmonella & E. coli and trans fats. Maybe I should post a link to Wikipedia?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
They don't get the difference between Salmonella & E. coli and trans fats. Maybe I should post a link to Wikipedia?

Or the difference between sitting down in a restaurant, looking at a menu and deciding what you want to eat, OR
sitting down in a prison cafeteria and them deciding what you will and won't eat.
The first one you do by your own choice.
The second is done for you by the government.

Get it now, Bamaro?

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
So 3,000 to 7,000 deaths could be prevented by banning trans fats? Maybe we should ban automobiles and save 30,000 to 40,000 lives per year. We should also ban alcohol and save 75,000 lives per year.

There are risks in life. Enabling people to evaluate, avoid, minimize and/or cope with risks on their own terms is the very definition of a free society.

This isn't about saving lives - this is about saving money. When the state pays the bills, the state has justifiable stake in individual choice. It's no different from getting a business loan or independent financial backing. The financiers get to approve the plan. If they don't approve, they don't finance. Except in this scenario, the financiers are going to finance with your and other people's money whether you want them to or not. Consequently, they get to write the plan, and you get to follow it, no ifs, ands, or buts. Like it or not, that's the way it is. So either live with it or burn it down.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Funny. Could that be market pressure adjusting food composition?

It is a big deal because the government does not need to be in the business of dictating the lifestyle of citizens. We can ban loads of things that are "bad" for us, but that is not exactly a free society.
So you are cool with companies putting this stuff in food knowing the side effects, not labeling it on menus as containing trans fat, and letting people eat it? Feeding it to kids at school cafeterias?

With things like tobacco and alcohol you know what it's in and what it's not in and people too young to make informed decisions are banned from buying it. Maybe if it was clearly labeled everywhere so i could avoid it that would be cool, but that would require the government making a law (which you guys would be against.)

Everyone says let people do what they want, but most of America is stupid. I'd rather just ban it. Nobody would miss it. Then Jim Bob and Lulu wouldn't drive my healthcare cost up when they eat fast food and have a heart attack and the underwriter sticks them in my age group demographic for the state of Georgia when they calculate my risk on my policy.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
So you distinguish between "man-made" and "naturally-occurring" when deciding what is and is not okay to be added to foods? Naturally occurring substances that also clog our arteries are okay in your opinion?
You actually answered your own question. Food companies are not adding naturally occurring trans fats to food, its there already in small amounts. The rules would only address adding trans fats to food.
I really dont care much one way or the other whether the FDA bans it from processed food or not. I am satisfied with the labeling requirements that exist for processed food so that I can make an informed choice. I fail to see however where this is a major constitutional issue worth getting my drawers in a bunch over.:rolleye2: However, I would like the labeling to require food preparers (restaurant/fast food etc) to specify how much they have added to their food.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.