Poll: If we had to have another head coach next season, would you want Kirby Smart.

If wee needed a new head coach Next Season would you want Kirby Smart

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
This is not a Nick Saban is leaving for Texas thread. From reading the remarks you would think that I insulted someone's mother. Please view this thread as a strategic question, if you believe there is not a plan in place for the day coach Saban leaves, then the joke is on you. This is a simple question that implies nothing other than the question, unless you make it so.

Last edited:

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
If we totally dismantled our current system for a new coach, I for one would be looking at Jimbo Fisher's FSU with envy.

Kirby Smart is not our Defensive coordinator because he can't find a head coaching job, he already earns more than 80% of the BCS Head Coaches and is extremely selective. The further in time we go, the more selective he will be. For instance, instead of asking Auburn for full control of al facets of the program, he won't interview for Auburn. IMO, his next coaching position will be either Bama or his alumni Georgia, which ever opens up first. I can't see how anyone could equate his hiring that that of Dubose considering the state of the program and the Saban coaching tree going up and down.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
This questions has nothing to do with rumors of coach Saban leaving but more on Kirby related to other current head coaches.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
TiderGreg...please don't misconscrue what I am saying. I mean no disrespect or insult.
Can't we all...just...please...stop? I don't even want to start thinking at all about a
coach to replace CNS...period. He said he's not going anywhere and I intend on taking
him at his word. Until he does decide to leave or retire, I would just as soon not even consider such things as who is next or anything related to such an event. Let's just Roll Tide, Roll...A'ight?

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
TiderGreg...please don't misconscrue what I am saying. I mean no disrespect or insult.
Can't we all...just...please...stop? I don't even want to start thinking at all about a
coach to replace CNS...period. He said he's not going anywhere and I intend on taking
him at his word. Until he does decide to leave or retire, I would just as soon not even consider such things as who is next or anything related to such an event. Let's just Roll Tide, Roll...A'ight?
A'ight. I know this was a bad time to ask, and that nothing that I can say will make anyone believe I am not tying this to the rumors. This came from the USC thread and someone mentioning that if they were any AD that Sumlin would be the 1st person they would call. And when mentioning, even at Bama, the comment "what has he done" motivated me to ask this most untimely question.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
You might come out better asking your wife who she thinks you should date in the "hypothetical" event that you get divorced. js

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
You might come out better asking your wife who she thinks you should date in the "hypothetical" event that you get divorced. js
I still believe it's a relevant question, just badly timed. Especially considering that our coach is year to year. Your wife is not, or I hope not. js

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I still believe it's a relevant question, just badly timed. Especially considering that our coach is year to year. Your wife is not. js
Your saying my wife is not year to year? Just so you know I do a marriage evaluation every year. I check income, body fat, and libido among many other metrics. :D

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
All kidding aside, you should be aware that people don't like to think of Coach Saban leaving. Be it next year or ten years from now, it is not a pleasant thought. The response you received was completely predictable and justified. Please do not take it personally.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
Your saying my wife is not year to year? Just so you know I do a marriage evaluation every year. I check income, body fat, and libido among many other metrics. :D
Remembering anniversary or not would be a good day for her to evaluate :)

When CCK left, what was the talk on hiring outside vs. keeping the present system in place? Just curious, things seem to be rolling along, the Stanford game could have gone the same way with Chip too.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
With all the talking heads trying to stir up the CNS to Texas shenanigans... this isn't the best time for most people because of growing tired of hearing/reading it.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Remembering anniversary or not would be a good day for her to evaluate :)

When CCK left, what was the talk on hiring outside vs. keeping the present system in place? Just curious, things seem to be rolling along, the Stanford game could have gone the same way with Chip too.
Everything I heard was keeping things in-house with someone who knew Chip Kelly's system. It was no secret he was grooming his then OC to be his replacement "someday". Most reasonable people figured Kelly would move on to bigger and better things and sooner than later.

I had doubts all year that a first year head coach could take the Ducks to the level many were expecting. Chip Kelly is a brilliant offensive mind and that is very hard to replace for any school, especially Nike U.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Would love to have Smart as head coach. Especially if Saban were by chance the AD as opposed to all out retirement. I just can't see him on a pontoon boat every day with his Little Debbie's and black coffee.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don't understand why you keep saying CNS is year to year. He is no more year to year than any other coach is. He says he's going to retire here, and I respect him enough to believe him. He hasn't indicated that he is ready to retire, so I think he's going to be here a while longer.

Now, when he gets ready to retire, I have no problem with giving Kirby a shot. CNS has said himself the is a fan of the Head Coach in waiting, and I believe Kirby is being groomed for the job. People will argue that he has no HC experience and that the Alabama job is too big for a 1st time HC, but its just as much of risk hiring an outside guy that can come in and change how everything is done. CNS' has said that his "Process" is not a very difficult concept. It is the willingness to implement it and control and moniter all aspects of the program. Whether Kirby would or can succeed at CNS' level is a huge question mark, but that's also a huge question mark with any other coach. Kirby is at least learning from the best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.