Poll: If we had to have another head coach next season, would you want Kirby Smart.

If wee needed a new head coach Next Season would you want Kirby Smart

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Can we add another option to this poll, one that allows me to decline to vote on the grounds that the very question is absurd?
I smell what you're cooking.

Probably won't happen but why do you say "absurd"? I think that's a little harsh.
but I agree here, if Coach Saban wins out and gets us this title, why is it so farfetched that he starts looking to prepare for his departure and retirement?

I would absolutely welcome Coach Smart to be the next guy. I think he knows how Coach Saban likes to run things, and I think Coach Smart has proved himself the opportunity. Whose to say Coach Saban doesnt relinquish all duties but perhaps take a step back next season and just ween the team and responsibilities more onto Coach Smarts shoulders? Ala jimbo fisher and bobby bowden?

That being said, I want coach to stay till 2025

and this thread sure does smell like summer.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Absolutely not. Kirby Smart has never been a HEAD COACH at any level in collegiate football and the risk is too high. This succession is a better idea if he were to leave after this year and go get some head coaching experience at a place like say Wyoming, Iowa State, Minnesota, or even Mississippi State.

But the Bama job is a plumb that requires a special kind of guy and it is NOT the place to earn OJT as a head coach. I realize I'm probably in a minority here, but Coach Bryant (who PLAYED here) held jobs at Maryland, UK, and aTm, Stallings held previous COLLEGIATE job at aTm, and even Franchione had put in some time at TCU.

Then compare the Perkins (NFL), DuBose (high school) and Shula (nothing) eras and tell me it's worth the risk.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't understand why you keep saying CNS is year to year. He is no more year to year than any other coach is. He says he's going to retire here, and I respect him enough to believe him. He hasn't indicated that he is ready to retire, so I think he's going to be here a while longer.

Now, when he gets ready to retire, I have no problem with giving Kirby a shot. CNS has said himself the is a fan of the Head Coach in waiting, and I believe Kirby is being groomed for the job. People will argue that he has no HC experience and that the Alabama job is too big for a 1st time HC, but its just as much of risk hiring an outside guy that can come in and change how everything is done. CNS' has said that his "Process" is not a very difficult concept. It is the willingness to implement it and control and moniter all aspects of the program. Whether Kirby would or can succeed at CNS' level is a huge question mark, but that's also a huge question mark with any other coach. Kirby is at least learning from the best.
If we get technical, we're all DAY TO DAY, aren't we?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree with Selma, I hope we go the route of hiring the absolute best there is in the business, we may not always hire one that's won a NC, with that being said, I would absolutely love it if we hired Coach Shaw from Stanford..I think he's a brilliant HC & I love the style of play Stanford plays under him..Smash mouth power football..Coach Shaw would be one of my 1st choices..That's just me though..In a perfect world..We would hire Coach Harbaugh when Coach Saban retires from Bama..

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This is clutter and we don't need it before the biggest game of the season up to this point. It's the BIGGEST game because
it's the NEXT one on the schedule. Put this thread in the distractions or clutter file. Get your MINDS RIGHT!

We all: coaches, staff, players, fans, fanatics, etc. need to get ourselves focused on the task at hand. Tomorrow is a BIG day.
We don't need an Oregon mishap on the way to hopefully another BCSNC.

There's a time for everything and this is the time to be FOCUSED on LSU!

RTR!!!!!!!

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
TiderGreg, this is a very relevant and needed question to ask. Coach Saban could or could not be our head coach next season; that's a fact of nature and existence. The odds of it being so FAR outweigh the probability that he won't. However, the very question involves the concept of progressivism, and it's a much greater thing than "La-la-la-ing" your way through life ignoring all possible negative outcomes until it's too late to make a plan to combat them. THAT's absurd.

To answer your question (as I've thought about it myself), yes, I believe Coach Smart is ready, and I would want him to take the reigns and try to keep the coaching staff as intact as possible in the interest of player relations and recruiting. He wouldn't be as successful as Coach Saban, but he would be strong and at least match if not surpass the maintenance job Leslie has done the last nine years. To bring in anyone else, even including most current NFL coaches (just hypothetically), would be a foolish change of direction.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Are we playing a big game tomorrow? Yes

Is Nick Saban still our coach? Yes...

Then that is all I need to know now.

:rolleye2: I am ready for tomorrow night...this has been a long two weeks.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
TiderGreg, this is a very relevant and needed question to ask. Coach Saban could or could not be our head coach next season; that's a fact of nature and existence. The odds of it being so FAR outweigh the probability that he won't. However, the very question involves the concept of progressivism, and it's a much greater thing than "La-la-la-ing" your way through life ignoring all possible negative outcomes until it's too late to make a plan to combat them. THAT's absurd.

To answer your question (as I've thought about it myself), yes, I believe Coach Smart is ready, and I would want him to take the reigns and try to keep the coaching staff as intact as possible in the interest of player relations and recruiting. He wouldn't be as successful as Coach Saban, but he would be strong and at least match if not surpass the maintenance job Leslie has done the last nine years. To bring in anyone else, even including most current NFL coaches (just hypothetically), would be a foolish change of direction.
While I would love to hire Coach Shaw from Stanford..I have no problem if we hire Coach Smart to carry on "The Process" that's in place, because everything is in place for him to carry on what Coach Saban has built at Bama & become a successful HC at Bama..He knows our football program as well as any one coach, he knows the pressures, and he knows the expectation, it wouldn't be a culture shock even a season HC would experience, when walks into the Bama HC'ing job, and there will be a culture shock for sure..With all that said..I'll support no matter who we hire after Coach Saban retires..Especially if it's Coach Smart..

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Right on, TideMan. I seriously doubt he would fall flat on his face the way some other first-time head coaches have. He's got Andrew Luck potential, as in I respect the heck out of the way the Colts were proactive about going after their next QB. They didn't put all hope and desperation in Peyton's neck (who knew then he would still be passing for a billion yards in half a season), and they've got a solid future because of it rather than an aging present. Getting off topic, but it's the same concept here... Regarding us, I just think it's better to plan now for all possibilities and hope there's no need to.

And in unrelated matters, I have a friend from high school who still keeps up with everything on facebook, and it appears Walter Wellborn went through their first-round opponent by three scores!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Right on, TideMan. I seriously doubt he would fall flat on his face the way some other first-time head coaches have. He's got Andrew Luck potential, as in I respect the heck out of the way the Colts were proactive about going after their next QB. They didn't put all hope and desperation in Peyton's neck (who knew then he would still be passing for a billion yards in half a season), and they've got a solid future because of it rather than an aging present. Getting off topic, but it's the same concept here... Regarding us, I just think it's better to plan now for all possibilities and hope there's no need to.

And in unrelated matters, I have a friend from high school who still keeps up with everything on facebook, and it appears Walter Wellborn went through their first-round opponent by three scores!
Yup..Wellborn beat a pretty solid Red Bay tonight, I'm proud of The Panthers, our Boys have steaily gotten better each game this year, they're playing as good as I ever remember Wellborn Football..I'm sure glad Coach Smith came home "When mama Called", he's brought some much needed stability we haven't had, since Coach Battles was our HC..I hope we win State this year, I wanna see it happen in my lifetime, that would be so awesome..If we can beat Fyffe this next game..I honestly think we will win it all this time..

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
I went with no just because of the way Muschamp is doing. I am not trying to put Kirby down, I think he is the very best at what he does but Muschamp was the “Kirby Smart” a few years ago. I would absolutely back any coach they go with when the time comes but I will have my fingers crossed if they go with someone with no HC experience. I think if the university decides to promote from within Saban will have a lot to do with the decision and I fully believe the person he endorses will be ready.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
I went with no just because of the way Muschamp is doing. I am not trying to put Kirby down, I think he is the very best at what he does but Muschamp was the “Kirby Smart” a few years ago. I would absolutely back any coach they go with when the time comes but I will have my fingers crossed if they go with someone with no HC experience. I think if the university decides to promote from within Saban will have a lot to do with the decision and I fully believe the person he endorses will be ready.
so was Jimbo Fisher

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you hire an unproved HC to replace Saban and you lose even 3 games in his first season, that coach gets roasted. I really like Smart's future in coaching, but AlabamaAS (after-Saban) is going to be a scary place to coach. That is a lot to ask of someone without head coaching experience.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
If you hire an unproved HC to replace Saban and you lose even 3 games in his first season, that coach gets roasted. I really like Smart's future in coaching, but AlabamaAS (after-Saban) is going to be a scary place to coach. That is a lot to ask of someone without head coaching experience.
Disagree, only if a brand new staff with new assistants came in. Example if coach Saban retired, everyone moves up a spot on the pecking order and the day to day operations stay. The culture stays. Not scary, but you do make a case for why a CNS outsider would find it difficult.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Disagree, only if a brand new staff with new assistants came in. Example if coach Saban retired, everyone moves up a spot on the pecking order and the day to day operations stay. The culture stays. Not scary, but you do make a case for why a CNS outsider would find it difficult.
You are making 2 assumptions:

* That Smart would want to keep everyone currently on the Saban staff
* That all of those coaches would stay, even if Smart wanted them

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
You are making 2 assumptions:

* That Smart would want to keep everyone currently on the Saban staff
* That all of those coaches would stay, even if Smart wanted them
Those are both probabilities that I believe most would assume without second thought. That's what usually happens, and are you familiar with our coaches salaries? That's a good old curve ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.