Refs tonight?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The 'Targeting Call' they failed to call got under my skin.

We have been the victim of two bad 'Targeting Calls' this year.
We suffered the penalties after they were overturned.

The LSU shot on Norwood was a legitimate 'Targeting' violation that wasn't called.

lelandhorne

1st Team
Sep 21, 2013
Refs are afraid to call targeting fouls now because how frequently they're overturned. By just calling a late hit foul they still tack on the 15 yard penalty but don't run the risk of making themselves look like idiots.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
That hit is as perfect an example of why the rule was created as there could ever be. Not only did he intentionly and successfully use the crown of his helmet on Norwood's facemask, but Norwood was down and in the grasp of the tackler.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Overall I thought they did as good of a job as I've seen this year from SEC officials. I'm surprised we haven't seen them more this year. They did give us about 1/2 yard extra early in the game on 3rd down that almost gave us a first down. There would have been a lot of complaints had we gotten a first down there. But we had to punt so it was a moot point.

The targeting call was close and they probably were influenced by Loston seemingly apologizing and acting remorseful. I think they should have called targeting and ejected him and I think the replay booth would have supported that decision.

This may not be popular but I think they may have missed a pass interference/holding call on one of our DB's (I think it was Belue) in the end zone when both players fell down. He had hold of his jersey when he tried to make his cut and then fell. That did not cause him to fall so perhaps that is why the ref didn't call a penalty because it essentially made the pass uncatchable. However, the DB did get away with one there, IMHO. Aside from those things I thought the officiating crew did a very good job last night.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
That hit is as perfect an example of why the rule was created as there could ever be. Not only did he intentionly and successfully use the crown of his helmet on Norwood's facemask, but Norwood was down and in the grasp of the tackler.
If this is not targeting then you need to just do away with the rule. Saying they are trying to protect players is totally Bull!

cuddlemonkey

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2011
Mobile, AL
Overall I thought they did as good of a job as I've seen this year from SEC officials. I'm surprised we haven't seen them more this year. They did give us about 1/2 yard extra early in the game on 3rd down that almost gave us a first down. There would have been a lot of complaints had we gotten a first down there. But we had to punt so it was a moot point.

The targeting call was close and they probably were influenced by Loston seemingly apologizing and acting remorseful. I think they should have called targeting and ejected him and I think the replay booth would have supported that decision.

This may not be popular but I think they may have missed a pass interference/holding call on one of our DB's (I think it was Belue) in the end zone when both players fell down. He had hold of his jersey when he tried to make his cut and then fell. That did not cause him to fall so perhaps that is why the ref didn't call a penalty because it essentially made the pass uncatchable. However, the DB did get away with one there, IMHO. Aside from those things I thought the officiating crew did a very good job last night.
I saw that as well. It was just a tiny tug and I feel it went uncalled because the crew was just letting the teams play. Outside of the missed targeting call, this was a pretty well called game from start to finish.

lelandhorne

1st Team
Sep 21, 2013
After all the pass interference LSU got away with in the UGA game they lose the ability to complain about PI.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I saw that as well. It was just a tiny tug and I feel it went uncalled because the crew was just letting the teams play. Outside of the missed targeting call, this was a pretty well called game from start to finish.
If that is the play I'm thinking of I believe one official made the signal for a ball that could not be caught. Not sure I agreed with that.

RMRJMR

Scout Team
Dec 29, 2008
Madison, AL
Can't remember the name when Eli announced the crew. I was just happy happy that he did not say Tom Ritter or Penn Wagers. They are the absolute worst in the SEC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.