Question: Targeting non-call (#6 hit on Norwood-video attached)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
So i keep hearing and reading about these targeting calls that are wrong, and how the penalty yards still stand after the penalty is reversed. But how was this not targeting?

Helmet to helmet INITIAL contact on a "defenseless" player who wasn't looking at blocker?
Could the seasoned, and rational fans of this great sport please educate me? Thanks.

Shoeless

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010
I'm glad Norwood wasn't injured but I hate this rule more than I dislike that it wasn't called. If they want to call a 15 yd penalty then I could live with but an ejection for the first offense is too harsh. The game isn't played in a classroom. Just my two pennies.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
The refs flat out blew this call. It was targeting.
If they had a picture in the dictionary or had this play on video to show the officials in their off-season meetings, it would be the prototype for the call.

The referee's totally missed the call. My question is this - can the league office go back and review the call and suspend the player? There definitely needs to be repercussions for that play.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Wow, this was one of the biggest examples of targeting out there and it wasn't called. Then we have HaHa that just simply went after the ball and gets popped for 15. Crazy.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I know football is not basket weaving but dang if they make a rule solely for player safety then they need top apply it equally. Our players are no more or less important than any other player.

If this is NOT targeting then I want to see what is.

If the NCAA & SEC really is serious about player safety the this officiating crew needs to be suspended & retrained.

Otherwise do away with the rule.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I am pretty sure they will go back and look at it and probably suspend him. Right after the refs announced the penalty I told my friend the SEC would look at it and suspend the guy for the next game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That was actually targeting unlike many calls earlier in the season.

But it wasn't even called...go figure.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
A little off topic but if the NCAA wants to put players safety first they need to start calling offensive face mask and I think there were some good examples from Hill in this game. It's time they make a rule to help the defense.

RollTideMustang

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2011
Killen, Alabama
www.myyearbook.com
It is clearly a target but called a late hit? I can only guess because he is on the ground not standing up...So let me get this right he has to be standing in order it to be called a target? What made me laugh is the LSU player shook his head like no it's not I did not do it....Made me laugh LOL!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Totally blown call but several LSU fans on Tigerdroppings defended it as a good play. The others wanted Losten out and were embarrassed.
Gotta throw out a lot of message board opinions. Many message board types ostensibly believe their program, coaches, and players can do no wrong.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.