BCS Countdown. Pollack & Palmer imply Fla St > Bama.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not sure if anyone watched the BCS Countdown last night but when discussing the possible Fla St v Bama championship matchup it seemed both Pollack and Palmer implied that Fla St had the edge.

They said both teams are pretty equal at every position except the secondary and they felt Fla St had a distinct advantage in that position.

To be honest I think we have a distinct advantage at QB. I'm not saying Winston is not as good as advertised but I just think McCarron is better. I'm also not sure if Fla St has the depth at WR we do. It seems they have one marquee receiver they tend to go to whereas we do not. We have four or five that we can got to just as easily as the other.

Last edited:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
On paper, the two teams are very even. Why wouldn't you pick the team that has been there and done that?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, they aren't paid to make reasonable, informed, long-winded breakdowns...they're paid to make edgy opinions.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Opinions will vary, and it only helps Alabama that people doubt them. Good thing that the championship will be decided on the field, not in the studio.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
It's not an unreasonable position to make. It also makes for better TV because no one wants to watch a sports talk show with no debate.

At least this is just for who is 1 vs 2 than who is 2 vs. 3. The first debate is pretty meaningless. The second is huge but settled now that Oregon has lost.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
On paper, the two teams are very even. Why wouldn't you pick the team that has been there and done that?
Simple. The media, ABC-ESPN particularly, have to start hyping the potential match up now. Oregon has crapped in their nest. Stanford lost ot Utah. OSU/Meyer are outside looking in due to being in a weak conference. All that's left really is FSU at this point. FSU is the nearest program to Bama. So..... FSU and Bama will be hyped until we meet in Pasadena or one of us loses. Then up jumps Baylor, the Oklahoma State of 2011.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
Alabama is the standard. Everybody is looking for that team that can match up. FSU DOES appear to be that team right now. What makes FSU a lilttle different than other teams is the way Fisher is building that program (CNS like, listen to Winston talk) and they have the athletes.

Does that mean they are better, maybe, maybe not. I believe it will be the most difficult test for AL and the best matchup for college football. Regarless, the talking heads are looking for anybody to knock AL off.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Flip the schedules and tell me how Florida State would do.

I'm sorry, but it's going to take more than running up points on the Bethune-Cookmans and Idahos.

Who have they played?

Pitt - a sub-.500 (in conference) ACC team
Nevada - (3-7)
Bethune-Cookman - another joke
Boston College - another sub-.500 in conference ACC team
Maryland - 1-4 in ACC, 5-4 overall
Clemson - more on this one in a moment but note that they had an off-week before the game
NC State - a losing record
Miami - a team whose only "big win" (over Florida) was by fewer points than VANDY - and Miami was at home with Vandy in Gainesville
Wake Forest - (2-5 in the Athletically Challenged Conference)

They have NOT ONE team on that resume that equals Va Tech (who btw they don't even play), aTm, or LSU.

I'm sorry, but I'm not impressed with an offense running up big points on nobodies. Boise State has done that.

Their ONE claim to fame? They beat Clemson on the road and pounded them. But this same Clemson barely escaped a slugfest with BC the week earlier while FSU was resting.

Everyone may as well get ready - Florida State is the new Oregon, who the media will pump up into "the team that can maybe beat Alabama." And you know what? Assuming we get there and pound them by about 30 points, then we will be hearing how "Ohio State should have been there."

And btw - they're right. I'm no Buckeyes fan (or esp a Meyer fan) but two straight unbeaten seasons in a major conference - even a watered down one - is not easy. Go check out how many times that's even been done in NCAA history.

Ohio State, not FSU, should be in the on deck circle.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The teams may well be even, but CNS has a month to prep for the game. I like what happens when he has a month of prep.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I know everyone thinks this is crazy, but I still think Florida State will lose a game.
I would not be surprised to see both FSU and Baylor lose one. Plenty of teams have seemed unbeatable in November until that spotlight kicks on and it's "win and your in". It also would not surprise me if Stanford made the BCSNCG. Personally, I hope we get tOSU. Not only would we win handily but CUM just might retire again afterwards.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I know everyone thinks this is crazy, but I still think Florida State will lose a game.
I wouldn't be surprised if they lost either. Now that Miami has been exposed as an imposter I think we'll find Clemson was as well. Clemson is living off their beating UGA who, as we've seen, has a pitiful defense.

Flip the schedules and tell me how Florida State would do.

I'm sorry, but it's going to take more than running up points on the Bethune-Cookmans and Idahos.

Who have they played?

Pitt - a sub-.500 (in conference) ACC team
Nevada - (3-7)
Bethune-Cookman - another joke
Boston College - another sub-.500 in conference ACC team
Maryland - 1-4 in ACC, 5-4 overall
Clemson - more on this one in a moment but note that they had an off-week before the game
NC State - a losing record
Miami - a team whose only "big win" (over Florida) was by fewer points than VANDY - and Miami was at home with Vandy in Gainesville
Wake Forest - (2-5 in the Athletically Challenged Conference)

They have NOT ONE team on that resume that equals Va Tech (who btw they don't even play), aTm, or LSU.

I'm sorry, but I'm not impressed with an offense running up big points on nobodies. Boise State has done that.

Their ONE claim to fame? They beat Clemson on the road and pounded them. But this same Clemson barely escaped a slugfest with BC the week earlier while FSU was resting.

Everyone may as well get ready - Florida State is the new Oregon, who the media will pump up into "the team that can maybe beat Alabama." And you know what? Assuming we get there and pound them by about 30 points, then we will be hearing how "Ohio State should have been there."

And btw - they're right. I'm no Buckeyes fan (or esp a Meyer fan) but two straight unbeaten seasons in a major conference - even a watered down one - is not easy. Go check out how many times that's even been done in NCAA history.

Ohio State, not FSU, should be in the on deck circle.
Usually I partially agree, but you've got it down to a science. Included in that Miami just got beat down by VT and you've got it made. FSU hasn't played anyone and I mean anyone this year. The ACC is garbage. Wake wouldn't have even scored on Bama.

Everyone is down on Bama secondary, aren't they always and we get in the big game and
Curb stomp and choke slam people.

FSU is a strong team don't get me wrong. But Boston College had a shot to beat them and Miami hung tough for a 2 qtrs before taking a crap on themselves. Again, they got blasted by VT. To me, that aren't all that different from last season. It's just the competition around them is just that much weaker.

Sent from my iPhone

Illusions

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 4, 2009
Summerville, SC
Didn't they hype up LSU 2 years ago? How about Notre Dame last year? Weren't both of those teams suppose to give Bama a battle for the National Championship? These announcers are just talking to hear themselves talk. They have no clue. So many holes in their analysis.

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
I think our reaction to things like this makes it happen more often. Brando is basically making a living off of slighting Alabama because when he does people talk about him and his show and it drives ratings. ESPN is doing what it needs to do. Last week they were drumming up conversation on Oregon and this week it is FSU just so people tune in. I don’t mind it as much when it is coming from a logical perspective but when it is blatant homerism like Holtz or Danny Kannel then I have to do the only thing I can, I change the channel.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And folks - if FSU loses the pre-written narrative is:

"Urban Meyer is the only coach to ever beat Nick Saban in a championship (2008 SEC) game."

You've been warned.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.