Crazy Trick Play

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
It goes on in pee wee football every week. The center can just hand the ball to the QB. It is a legal play. It is however a cheap way to score a TD.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
That's not a new play, Brodie Croyle did the same thing a decade+ ago
Yep. But Brodie Croyle isn't related to Jada Pinkett Smith, which would have automatically garnered it tons of media appeal. Her nephew's successful trick play has been everywhere. Saw it on Yahoo yesterday, Fox today.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
It goes on in pee wee football every week. The center can just hand the ball to the QB. It is a legal play. It is however a cheap way to score a TD.
Teaching kids the fundamentals of football, like how to score without actually having to really overcome your opponent in any way.
Kudos to the 35 year old coach who outsmarted a bunch of 4th graders.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I hate that kind of stuff, cheapens the game.
Perhaps -- I can agree with you on that.

But, with that said -- If you can't beat 'em -- trick 'em.....

Bobby Bowden, Les Miles, etc....were able to make Trickery an 'art form' during their careers.....

heck, we have a high school here who NEVER punts and NEVER kicks -- he goes for fourth down everytime, regardless of where he is on the field, he onside kicks everytime, and they went 8-2 last year and were in the playoffs -- he did it because he had a smaller team, and did what he needed to do to try to win....

I think there is a place for it.....the officials should have blown the play dead -- when he backed up and the DL stood up --

But, I can't fault someone for finding a way to win.....that is within the rules

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Perhaps -- I can agree with you on that.

But, with that said -- If you can't beat 'em -- trick 'em.....

Bobby Bowden, Les Miles, etc....were able to make Trickery an 'art form' during their careers.....

heck, we have a high school here who NEVER punts and NEVER kicks -- he goes for fourth down everytime, regardless of where he is on the field, he onside kicks everytime, and they went 8-2 last year and were in the playoffs -- he did it because he had a smaller team, and did what he needed to do to try to win....

I think there is a place for it.....the officials should have blown the play dead -- when he backed up and the DL stood up --

But, I can't fault someone for finding a way to win.....that is within the rules
Thing is the QB can back up any time before the snap. Also, if OL haven't put a hand in the dirt, they can stand up. There was no legal reason to blow the play dead...

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
One time, I'd love to see someone realize the situation, blow past the "playing the trick" OL, and tackle the kid for a loss.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
One time, I'd love to see someone realize the situation, blow past the "playing the trick" OL, and DESTROY the QB.
FIFY

And regarding trick plays - plays within the normal bounds of play (post snap) are fine. This kind of thing where you're acting like it's a dead ball by using a loop-hole in the rules is chicken-crap.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Very clever.

I don't like it and would hope to never see my team stoop to that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
FIFY

And regarding trick plays - plays within the normal bounds of play (post snap) are fine. This kind of thing where you're acting like it's a dead ball by using a loop-hole in the rules is chicken-crap.
Agreed. As soon as the QB's hand touched the ball, he was fair game. Probably the only time it'll work this season or the next several...

CrimsonblakeII

Scout Team
Feb 19, 2012
Seattle, WA
Can't wait to see a defense not fall for it and just plow over all the OL since they are there not prepared for contact.

One day it will resemble the Tampa Bay Bucs vs. the kneel down play. The defense will be playing at full speed while the offense is feigning confusion not prepared.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
One time, I'd love to see someone realize the situation, blow past the "playing the trick" OL, and tackle the kid for a loss.
Except if that happened before the QB took off downfield, it would be a penalty, expulsion, and possible lawsuits.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I agree with those that say it was cheap. Trick plays to me are the Statue of Liberty play or a hook and ladder play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.