Updated BCS title game lines

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Updated BCS title game lines from Golden Nugget via @aaronkessler
Baylor vs Bama -9
OSU vs. Bama -10
FSU vs. Bama -5.5

Interesting. I think Ohio St would creep up to about -13. Some money might come in on FSU and tighten it up, but I think it would stay at or above -3.5.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
If we get to the BCS Championship Game, I'm sure it will be a much closer game than the ND game. I really think OSU is an outstanding team. It's hard to tell about Baylor because of who they have played. FSU is as good as advertised, IMHO. Very close to, if not as good as, Alabama in talent and physicality.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
All three of those teams are capable of beating Alabama on any given Saturday.

The problem is that CNS will have 5 weeks to prepare...something you cannot put a point value on.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
And I will say this...there is no coach or team that wants to beat Alabama more than LSU...and 2 of the last 3 times we played...we made them give up. It takes a lot to make a team give up who would rather scale the gates of Hell.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The FSU line is probably about right in my opinion. I think we'd cover against OSU and Baylor.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
In a BCS Championship scenario I'd take Bama, Bama, and Bama against those three teams.

Our average margin of victory in three BCS championship games is 20.5 per game.

Only Florida State, IMO, is possibly better than any of the three teams we faced in the title game, and I'm still not completely convinced of even that.

The win over Clemson had me going "wow"! But after seeing Va. Tech totally destroy Miami I'm thinking that the Noles might simply be the best team in a pretty inferior conference.

Time will tell. I do know this--If Coach Saban has a month to prepare for Jameis Winston, the young man is going to find out fast that he's not Johnny Manzeil.

sip

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Time will tell. I do know this--If Coach Saban has a month to prepare for Jameis Winston, the young man is going to find out fast that he's not Johnny Manzeil.

sip
After all is said and done, I'm not sure Winston comes out on the wrong side of that comparison.

LuckyDucky

Oct 20, 2013
Oregon Land
OK, now that I've stepped away from the ledge since last Thursday I feel cheerful enough to post again :p Have to agree with most of you guys - and I've changed my tune about Ohio State, I don't think they have quite the defense to stop Alabama though. Florida State appears to be the best matchup, they also seem to have the "easiest" schedule to remain undefeated before the title game. I honestly think FSU could be a greater threat than people realize, the biggest thing to me is how Winston would perform in that kind of pressure against an elite opponent. He's been phenomenal, but I haven't seen enough to know for sure. Alabama has the advantage of experience, execution and discipline...I know from experience!! that you can have a talented, fast team but against another elite team, you can't afford any mistakes. You have to capitalize on any opportunity you might get, because it could be the only opportunity. FSU might have the defense to stop just about any team, but Bama? I don't know.

Baylor, I have NO idea. Need to watch more of that team, but they have a couple pretty good wins now and their defense appears better than I thought. Considering the style of game they play, and my green-and-yellow shaded glasses I'd love to see them somehow make the title game! Haha. I agree Alabama and Saban with 4+ weeks to prepare is a deadly combo, but keep in mind the other teams have that time to prepare as well. The question is whether they can maximize it anywhere near how Saban has been able to.

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
Boils down to matchups. The biggest and the deciding factor especially in the case of FSU. Jimbo V CNS, Winston V McCarron. The biggest stage. Who wins on that kind of stage. I take Bama easily.

OK, now that I've stepped away from the ledge since last Thursday I feel cheerful enough to post again :p Have to agree with most of you guys - and I've changed my tune about Ohio State, I don't think they have quite the defense to stop Alabama though. Florida State appears to be the best matchup, they also seem to have the "easiest" schedule to remain undefeated before the title game. I honestly think FSU could be a greater threat than people realize, the biggest thing to me is how Winston would perform in that kind of pressure against an elite opponent. He's been phenomenal, but I haven't seen enough to know for sure. Alabama has the advantage of experience, execution and discipline...I know from experience!! that you can have a talented, fast team but against another elite team, you can't afford any mistakes. You have to capitalize on any opportunity you might get, because it could be the only opportunity. FSU might have the defense to stop just about any team, but Bama? I don't know.

Baylor, I have NO idea. Need to watch more of that team, but they have a couple pretty good wins now and their defense appears better than I thought. Considering the style of game they play, and my green-and-yellow shaded glasses I'd love to see them somehow make the title game! Haha. I agree Alabama and Saban with 4+ weeks to prepare is a deadly combo, but keep in mind the other teams have that time to prepare as well. The question is whether they can maximize it anywhere near how Saban has been able to.
What elite defense has Winston played against?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
What elite defense has Winston played against?

I think that's the point Lucky's trying to make... he hasn't... so we don't know. I think I have a pretty good idea of what will happen. Saban and Smart will show him looks that he will have never seen and bait him into making freshman mistakes that the defenses in the ACC simply aren't capable of doing.

That said, a lot of the talking heads seem to think that he would carve us up, but they are making the fatal error of looking at the Texas A&M game as their proof that we can give up a lot of points. First of all, the BCSNCG is going to be played in Pasadena, in January, at night. The ambient temperature in College Station for that game was 98°, which means the temperature on the field was probably somewhere north of 120°. That kind of heat definitely took its toll on the DL and DBs as they chased Johnny Football and his receivers all over the field, at times for over ten seconds a play. The ambient temperature in Pasadena may very well be half of that at game time. I think that that alone will make a huge difference.

SeattleBama

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2008
I think that's the point Lucky's trying to make... he hasn't... so we don't know. I think I have a pretty good idea of what will happen. Saban and Smart will show him looks that he will have never seen and bait him into making freshman mistakes that the defenses in the ACC simply aren't capable of doing.

That said, a lot of the talking heads seem to think that he would carve us up, but they are making the fatal error of looking at the Texas A&M game as their proof that we can give up a lot of points. First of all, the BCSNCG is going to be played in Pasadena, in January, at night. The ambient temperature in College Station for that game was 98°, which means the temperature on the field was probably somewhere north of 120°. That kind of heat definitely took its toll on the DL and DBs as they chased Johnny Football and his receivers all over the field, at times for over ten seconds a play. The ambient temperature in Pasadena may very well be half of that at game time. I think that that alone will make a huge difference.
Great point on temp. I think FSU would try and take advantage of the secondary anyway.

I guess I better start reading whole posts and stop assuming... He's right!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

So far, no...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

The Bama vs Baylor game would get very poor TV ratings nationally. Extremely high in B'ham. = Bama wins, because we have a defense.

The Bama vs FSU game would create a much, much higher TV ratings than a Bama vs Baylor game. Extremely High in B'ham. = A close game, but Bama wins.

Bama vs TOSU would create the HIGHEST TV ratings Nationally. Extremely HIGH in B'ham. = Bama wins, because it has an SEC defense.

mhiggy45

3rd Team
Sep 2, 2010
daytona bch
I think It's going to be Bama vs FSU but you never know. If it is , with all that time to heal and for Nick to scheme And for us to get 100% healthy physically and {Nick} mentally, our talent is similar to thiers but, the depth that we have overall puts them in our rear view mirror. # 16 is coming my tidefriends:wink:

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Great point on temp. I think FSU would try and take advantage of the secondary anyway.
Oh, I have no doubt that they'll try and take advantage of the secondary. I just think that Coaches Saban and Smart will have something up their collective sleeve to get Winston to make mistakes. After all, he is still a redshirt freshman.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.