Anyone here had Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion? (ALIF)?

happytidefan

All-SEC
Jul 24, 2008
Columbus, Mississippi
My "baby" son, 35 years old, is having this surgery next Tuesday. I've done some research and it looks to have a decent success rate. The mama in me is still concerned, however.

Anyone here had it? Would you share your experience with me?

Prayers for him are surely coveted!

Thank you!

(And yes, he scheduled it around our football schedule! :wink:)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Can't help you with that Happy. Sorry. I hope things go well. My momma said I would always be her baby boy.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Not familiar with that one but prayers for your baby boy for a successful procedure and speedy recovery. :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My "baby" son, 35 years old, is having this surgery next Tuesday. I've done some research and it looks to have a decent success rate. The mama in me is still concerned, however.

Thank you!

is this a spinal fusion?

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
Can't help you with that Happy. Sorry. I hope things go well. My momma said I would always be her baby boy.
She said that right before she dropped your stroller off on the front porch of that complete stranger, right? ;)

Edit: seebell, you just couldn't go ahead and give me the full Banjeaux, could ya? :)

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yes it is, but it's done, to my understanding, with gathering bone marrow from his hip to enable the spine to fuse, along with some hardware to hold it all together. They are actually removing two discs.
I've heard of it before. i had a discectomy on l4-l5 and l5-s1, they did trimming rather than removing.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Thank you!

No personal experience, but hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
My mother has degenerative bone disease so she has had numerous back surgeries. She had one back in March, and the doctor covered a large area. I'm not sure if this is what she had done or not.

happytidefan

All-SEC
Jul 24, 2008
Columbus, Mississippi
Yes, my spine is fused from T2 to L2 will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Here's some history: Jason, my son, had a piece of glass weighing 125 lbs fall on his head from three stories above him. This was three years ago. The doctors marvel, we all do, that he was not decapitated or killed, but we do know his spine was compressed in several places. He has had some fusion in his neck and it absolutely helped in that area. He's had several procedures that were only quick fixes in nature and the injections and so much "useless" physical therapy. He's now dragging his legs and shuffling like an old man, in constant pain, and refuses to take narcotics for pain to avoid any addiction. In fact, he stays in the bathtub beneath the warm waters a lot, saying that seems to help more than anything. His neurosurgeon and a vascular surgeon are performing the surgery, saying it's absolutely necessary to "stay" any further damage and allow for a return to some normalcy. His spine will be fused at L4-L5 and L5-S1.

I've done some research and the success rate is promising. A long time ago, spinal surgery had a bad reputation, but progress has been made and this procedure seems to work as long as there is not extensive nerve damage. We know that there is some nerve damage, but can't determine that it's "extensive."

Thank you so very much for responding. I would love to know:

1) would you, given the choice, do it all over again; 2) are you better?; 3) what was your recovery time and how far did you progress? back to "normalcy"?; 4) Do you still have painful days?

You may absolutely pm to keep from putting your bidness on TF if you choose!

Again, thank you! I feel better about getting the scoop from someone I "know."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Here's some history: Jason, my son, had a piece of glass weighing 125 lbs fall on his head from three stories above him. This was three years ago. The doctors marvel, we all do, that he was not decapitated or killed, but we do know his spine was compressed in several places. He has had some fusion in his neck and it absolutely helped in that area. He's had several procedures that were only quick fixes in nature and the injections and so much "useless" physical therapy. He's now dragging his legs and shuffling like an old man, in constant pain, and refuses to take narcotics for pain to avoid any addiction. In fact, he stays in the bathtub beneath the warm waters a lot, saying that seems to help more than anything. His neurosurgeon and a vascular surgeon are performing the surgery, saying it's absolutely necessary to "stay" any further damage and allow for a return to some normalcy. His spine will be fused at L4-L5 and L5-S1.

I've done some research and the success rate is promising. A long time ago, spinal surgery had a bad reputation, but progress has been made and this procedure seems to work as long as there is not extensive nerve damage. We know that there is some nerve damage, but can't determine that it's "extensive."

1) would you, given the choice, do it all over again; 2) are you better?; 3) what was your recovery time and how far did you progress? back to "normalcy"?; 4) Do you still have painful days?

the doc that did my surgery was an expert in the fusion and had had great success. this was back in 2000 and im sure the results have only gotten better since. having spent the better part of 3 years suffering from back spasms, etc (dragging legs, not standing straight, constant pain) the surgery improved my quality of life by leaps and bounds.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
A fellow here at work just had something very similiar if not it. He had disk(s) removed and his spine fused. He was out for about 4 or 5 weeks but seems just fine now. He said he was feeling great and no longer is depending on the cane he was using for support. Hope all comes out well as it will. Keep smiling.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

1. I did not really have a choice. It was either do it or die. I was young though about 14 or so and I had no fear at the time. I remember sleeping like a baby up to the surgery. Just to relax you a little bit I was in surgery 14 straight hours, and recovered relatively fast, of course I was young though. They used bone from my ribs for my fusion, fwiw.

2. I’m about as well as can be expected. I have bad days, but I am able to work and that’s all I really wanted.

3. My recovery time was suppose to be a year before returning to normal but I played too many sports etc… I would say about 6 weeks things start getting somewhat normal, there should be numbness and it should go away, but it is really scary going through it. After 3 months I was up and about. At your sons age it is very important to take it easy so the fusion holds.
4. Sadly, I do but you learn to live with it. Your son is correct in avoiding the Narcos they are horrible for chronic pain. Also, back pain is what all the dope heads use to get Narcos from their doctors so it is best to try to avoid it if possible. The best killer of all time is simply think about something else, I know it sounds stupid but it works.

My concerns and thoughts.

Did they explain to you how/if his range of motion will be after the surgery? It seems like he will not be able to bend with them going all the way down to S1. Make sure he understands how his range of motion can be affected, it is a shocker if one is not ready for it.

Usually the fused parts of the spine are not the ones to worry about. It is the vertebrate right above and below the fusion that gets worn down because the spine can no longer move the way it is suppose to.

It should really help with his pain after the surgery is done, and most people live a 95% normal life, of course any back surgery changes your way of living.

Hot baths are great, the best really. Everyone I know with back pain puts Epson salt in their bath but I do not know if it is Placebo or not. I do know when you are hurting your will drink horse .... if someone tells you it will help.

Lastly, I would strongly encourage him to avoid looking up things on Google after the surgery, as most things will be OMG your life is over and people freak out. It can be very depressing. If yall must use Google, do it for him.

I know well over a hundred people that have been through this and are fine, let me know if you have anymore questions. Hope this helps. :)

happytidefan

All-SEC
Jul 24, 2008
Columbus, Mississippi
1. I did not really have a choice. It was either do it or die. I was young though about 14 or so and I had no fear at the time. I remember sleeping like a baby up to the surgery. Just to relax you a little bit I was in surgery 14 straight hours, and recovered relatively fast, of course I was young though. They used bone from my ribs for my fusion, fwiw.

2. I’m about as well as can be expected. I have bad days, but I am able to work and that’s all I really wanted.

3. My recovery time was suppose to be a year before returning to normal but I played too many sports etc… I would say about 6 weeks things start getting somewhat normal, there should be numbness and it should go away, but it is really scary going through it. After 3 months I was up and about. At your sons age it is very important to take it easy so the fusion holds.
4. Sadly, I do but you learn to live with it. Your son is correct in avoiding the Narcos they are horrible for chronic pain. Also, back pain is what all the dope heads use to get Narcos from their doctors so it is best to try to avoid it if possible. The best killer of all time is simply think about something else, I know it sounds stupid but it works.

My concerns and thoughts.

Did they explain to you how/if his range of motion will be after the surgery? It seems like he will not be able to bend with them going all the way down to S1. Make sure he understands how his range of motion can be affected, it is a shocker if one is not ready for it.

Usually the fused parts of the spine are not the ones to worry about. It is the vertebrate right above and below the fusion that gets worn down because the spine can no longer move the way it is suppose to.

It should really help with his pain after the surgery is done, and most people live a 95% normal life, of course any back surgery changes your way of living.

Hot baths are great, the best really. Everyone I know with back pain puts Epson salt in their bath but I do not know if it is Placebo or not. I do know when you are hurting your will drink horse .... if someone tells you it will help.

Lastly, I would strongly encourage him to avoid looking up things on Google after the surgery, as most things will be OMG your life is over and people freak out. It can be very depressing. If yall must use Google, do it for him.

I know well over a hundred people that have been through this and are fine, let me know if you have anymore questions. Hope this helps. :)
Thank you so much BamaPokerplayer! Very helpful information, encouraging! I'm on my way out the door now going to him - surgery in the morning!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.