Link: Wasn't sure on AJ for Heisman until I read this article

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Ok, I love Alabama and AJ as our quarterback, but honestly, as good as he is, I never felt that he was truly Heisman material, or at least not a top 3 for it. That was until I read this ARTICLE and since have BEGGED the gods of college football to forgive me.

Hopefully the rest of you will forgive me to.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Ok, I love Alabama and AJ as our quarterback, but honestly, as good as he is, I never felt that he was truly Heisman material, or at least not a top 3 for it. That was until I read this ARTICLE and since have BEGGED the gods of college football to forgive me.

A. J. McCarron - I think he deserves it more than anyone else. He's not necessarily flashy, he just WINS and WINS BIG TIME like 2 BCSNC's so far. In interviews (CBS and ESPN) and on the field he exhibits competitive character. Just look at his putting his arm around #6, Loston, last Saturday. You know when he, #6, deserved an EJECTION for targeting. He is a CLASS ACT! He's a QUALITY leader for our team.

Have you ever noticed Johnny Football when he's using a FOUR letter word for the TV audience to see when things don't seem to go his way. If not, just read his lips during the LSU game. I even saw it against Mittittippi Tate. Has his team ever won an NC? He has BIG feet and can evade tacklers. However, I would look at his character. He is a character; I'm not sure he has quality characteristics.

Mariota- No.

Mr. Winston - give him another year. He is good! But has he won an NC? He's only a redshirt freshman. Let's see how he develops and plays the rest of the year, next year, and maybe the following year, but he may be in the NFL by then. His competition other than Clemson is questionable.

C. J. Moseley - Just as deserving as anyone this year. Seems to be a very high quality leader on the team and an outstanding QB of the defense. Is much more deserving than the guy with the fantasy GF.

If I had the choice of him, A. J. McCarron, winning the Heisman or Bama winning the BCSNC, then I'll take the BCSNC and I think he would also. I think C. J. would also. I sure hope we have adequate replacements for these two guys next year.

If I were an owner of and NFL team, he's my FIRST (1st) pick in the draft. If needed, I'd trade up to get him.

Bama_J

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2012
"A", "an", and "and" are all used incorrectly, lol. But I agree about AJ. There's more to the Heisman, to me, than stats. Sadly, the ones who vote mostly disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think that without a doubt people have lost sight of the award from the viewpoint of what it should be. It's become something between a stats award, and a popularity contest.

The bias is abundantly clear as well, and it's one reason Alabama fans get worked up over this. Alabama has had a great history, with a lot of great players and it's astounding, especially when you consider the fact that winners usually come from top teams, that they've had only one winner, ever. Kenny Stabler, Joe Namath, Shaun Alexander, Ozzie Newsome, Derrick Thomas (all time single season college sack record, which only was enough for 10th in Heisman voting), etc...

USC, during their less dominant run, won 3 Heismans out of a 4 year stretch! Alabama has one, ever. Michigan had unorthodox winners in Charles Woodson and Desmond Howard. Alabama has one but Michigan has a cornerback and a WR both with the award? Notre Dame has 7, Ohio State has 7, Oklahoma has 5.

But, if you want to see the bias aligned against AJ, just look at some of the QBs who have won the award. Troy Smith, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Charlie Ward, Gino Toretta (notice any favoritism for Florida schools?), etc...

Ironically, the justification then was that if you were the best QB on what many saw as the best team, you got the award. Now, thanks to the moving target (what ever criteria doesn't include an Alabama player), it's just raw stats. There's just no way to look at that list of winners and say nah, AJ doesn't deserve it.

Troy Smith won the award with 2,500 yards passing, 6 INTs, and 30 touchdowns. I could go on listing stats, but why go farther than that? There's no question that AJ is having a Heisman worthy season.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Unfortunately, McCarron will not win the Heisman this year because there are still so many in the media that see him as a "game manager." Instead it will be Winston, who has great numbers and has played extremely well. We will then go on to face FSU in the BCSNCG and it will be extremely hyped. Winston will have his first experience playing a really good and very physical defense and he will be rattled. Meanwhile, McCarron will game manage us to the tune of 200-250 yards passing with a couple of TDS and we will pull away in the second half with physical, grinding football. Afterwards, the talking heads will say that AJ is great competitor and great manager of the game and perhaps the most successful QB in college ever, but he may not have the tools needed to be successful at the next level...

I would be interested to see how McCarron's first half stats compare against Winston, Manziel and Mariota.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree that Winston will win it unless he has a poor performance or two coming down the stretch.

I agree with the sentiments of the article and I'd like AJ to win it, especially based on criteria stated in the article but today's voters are more interested in the "hot" player with a "cool" name like "Johnny Football" or "Famous Jamis."

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
AJ is somewhere around 70 career TDs to only 11 interceptions. That is incredible. With all that AJ has done, I still think Winston is the better QB. Also, don't overlook Petty at Baylor with 21 TD passes to 1 interception as well as 8 rushing TDs.

If Alabama runs the table, I see AJ winning.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
You know the biggest sign to me that he should win is the length of time it has been since we have seen a thread talking about how good our backup QB is. It used to be the backup QB was the most popular guy on the team. It is great that we have such a great QB we have not even spent a second talking about the backup in relation to being better than the starter in over two years. And no it does not have any thing to do with who is the backup and it does have everything to do with who the starter is!

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
If the Heisman were awarded after the BCSNCG, I would tend to agree. However, I think Winston will get credit for having the "potential to beat Bama".
AJ, meanwhile, still hasn't proven himself by winning 3 BCS championships and 95+% of his games.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Honestly I thought he should have won it last year or even Eddie Lacy. Probably I am biased though :)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
AJ is somewhere around 70 career TDs to only 11 interceptions. That is incredible. With all that AJ has done, I still think Winston is the better QB. Also, don't overlook Petty at Baylor with 21 TD passes to 1 interception as well as 8 rushing TDs.

This sort of just tossing out numbers without context is almost irresponsible. Also, it's never been about who is the best player at a position.

Take Petty for example, did you look at their SoS? It's barely over 100, and I know for a fact they leave him in, in the 4th quarter, during blowouts. So, if AJ merely faced that level of competition and was left in like that, he'd have gaudy numbers to. FSU has played a weaker schedule as well, and I mean come on, it's the ACC, Winston didn't even do that well against Wake Forest.

But, let's not forget FSU And Baylor both try to run a ton of plays. Alabama is trying to slow things down. Without context, Petty's stats seem to matter. But, to understand context is to understand that you're citing inflated numbers. Let's go ahead and compare CFL stats to NFL stats while we're at it. Give Warren Moon and Doug Flutie a bunch of NFL MVPs...

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I think that without a doubt people have lost sight of the award from the viewpoint of what it should be. It's become something between a stats award, and a popularity contest.

The bias is abundantly clear as well, and it's one reason Alabama fans get worked up over this. Alabama has had a great history, with a lot of great players and it's astounding, especially when you consider the fact that winners usually come from top teams, that they've had only one winner, ever. Kenny Stabler, Joe Namath, Shaun Alexander, Ozzie Newsome, Derrick Thomas (all time single season college sack record, which only was enough for 10th in Heisman voting), etc...

USC, during their less dominant run, won 3 Heismans out of a 4 year stretch! Alabama has one, ever. Michigan had unorthodox winners in Charles Woodson and Desmond Howard. Alabama has one but Michigan has a cornerback and a WR both with the award? Notre Dame has 7, Ohio State has 7, Oklahoma has 5.

But, if you want to see the bias aligned against AJ, just look at some of the QBs who have won the award. Troy Smith, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Charlie Ward, Gino Toretta (notice any favoritism for Florida schools?), etc...

Ironically, the justification then was that if you were the best QB on what many saw as the best team, you got the award. Now, thanks to the moving target (what ever criteria doesn't include an Alabama player), it's just raw stats. There's just no way to look at that list of winners and say nah, AJ doesn't deserve it.

Troy Smith won the award with 2,500 yards passing, 6 INTs, and 30 touchdowns. I could go on listing stats, but why go farther than that? There's no question that AJ is having a Heisman worthy season.

Except for a strange 2009 season, I tend to believe that voters in NY will do their best to not award an Alabama player a Heisman. It is one way they feel they can shorten our run. Why go to Bama when you can't win a Heisman? I think is part of their thinking.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Except for a strange 2009 season, I tend to believe that voters in NY will do their best to not award an Alabama player a Heisman. It is one way they feel they can shorten our run. Why go to Bama when you can't win a Heisman? I think is part of their thinking.
The thing with Ingram was it was just undeniable. Best player on best team? It certainly appeared to be the case, and his numbers were really the best at his position, which is a rarity. If you look at Trent in 2011, and pretend that's a USC team and he wins as well. They had to manufacture an over-hyped defensive player (it's fine if it's not an Alabama player) to undercut Trent's run at a Heisman and furthermore, what kind of a award might be given out twice to Baylor before Alabama has a second winner?

The knock on AJ runs counter to Heisman logic. It's being held against him that his team is so good. But, if we are going to hold things against them, shouldn't we deduct points for Baylor quarterbacks, because clearly their system inflates stats?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.