Jameis Winston investigated for sexual assault - and...no charges to be filed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Re: Wow. Jameis Winston investigated for sexual assault

FWIW, I think if there wasn't some fire behind the smoke that the Tallahassee Police and FSU would have announced that he was not guilty as loudly and as often as they could. Now that this has been released, I expect there will be a fast resolution to this story and FSU may make an annoucement pretty soon. This literally could cost him the Heisman. I hope he isn't guilty frankly since he is from Birmingham.

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

FWIW, I think if there wasn't some fire behind the smoke. The Tallahassee Police and FSU would have announced that he was not guilty as loudly and as often as they could. The fact he has lawyered up indicates to me that while he may not be guilty, he has something to hide. I hope he isn't guilty frankly since he is from Birmingham.
Let's be careful, lots of innocent people retain lawyers - and quite frankly should in these types of situations. It doesn't necessarily mean he's hiding anything. With Winston's high profile, I don't blame him for "lawyering up" in and of itself. Where do you think those guys from the Duke lacrosse team would have wound up without lawyers?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Let's be careful, lots of innocent people retain lawyers - and quite frankly should in these types of situations. It doesn't necessarily mean he's hiding anything. With Winston's high profile, I don't blame him for "lawyering up" in and of itself. Where do you think those guys from the Duke lacrosse team would have wound up without lawyers?
If anything like this were alleged about me, I would have already called Saul Goodman.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

If those paranoid, tin-foil hat folks want to throw out theories, why not look at Urban Meyer? Wasn't he rumored to be the person to release the story about Cam's academic issues? What does Urban have to gain by FSU being distracted? Oh, just the #2 spot in the BCS.
It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.

I fear at some point that Oliver Stone is going to do a movie about us.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Not sure how much of an update this is. Link

I did find this part odd:

As of Thursday morning, Florida State freshman quarterback Jameis Winston had exercised his right not to speak with Tallahassee police or provide a statement in the ongoing investigation of a sexual assault complaint filed nearly a year ago, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

It bothers me he has made no statement to the police to assist them. If you have nothing to hide, why not give the police any information they ask for so you can be cleared? Say like an "Alibi". He can have his lawyer present if he wants. Someone said a DNA test has been done. If that is the case, why no definitive statement that his DNA was not present or is it because they have not gotten a sample? None of his actions necessarily makes him guilty, but it sure makes you question why he would not be forthcoming to the police. The case was also supposedly investigated by the Tallahassee Police and closed in February so why would the case be reopened if it is an "open and shut' case? It may simply be that the Tallahassee Police didn't follow correct procedure with this particular case.
Again, I hope this all turns out to be nothing more than yellow journalism. I hope FSU and Bama get to meet in Pasadena. It would not be the 1st time the media has made a mountain of of a mole hill. See the Dolphins story.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

Not odd at all that he would follow the advice of counsel.
Agree 100%. Too many people out there are getting in trouble for what they did or didn't say to the cops or other investigators when the original allegations about them turn out to be nothing. If you find out the authorities (of any variety, local, federal, IRS, HS, etc.) are even considering whether you did anything wrong, hire the best legal talent you can reasonably afford. It is not only a constitutional right, it is the sensible thing to do. Most of all, do whatever that lawyer says, which is likely to be "keep your mouth shut".

I do not blame the young man one bit and I don't think hiring a lawyer means he's automatically guilty or has something to hide. Given that FSU is already without their backup QB, Coker, they don't need any problems at QB.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

It bothers me he has made no statement to the police to assist them. If you have nothing to hide, why not give the police any information they ask for so you can be cleared? Say like an "Alibi". He can have his lawyer present if he wants. Someone said a DNA test has been done. If that is the case, why no definitive statement that his DNA was not present or is it because they have not gotten a sample? None of his actions necessarily makes him guilty, but it sure makes you question why he would not be forthcoming to the police. The case was also supposedly investigated by the Tallahassee Police and closed in February so why would the case be reopened if it is an "open and shut' case? It may simply be that the Tallahassee Police didn't follow correct procedure with this particular case.
Again, I hope this all turns out to be nothing more than yellow journalism. I hope FSU and Bama get to meet in Pasadena. It would not be the 1st time the media has made a mountain of of a mole hill. See the Dolphins story.
Understood, I was mostly just responding to your statement about retaining a lawyer. If I was in his shoes, I would do the same even if innocent. As for speaking to the police, I would think long and hard about it depending on the real circumstances. I am somewhat suspicious myself, but not because of the lawyer thing.

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida

Actually, a good many on the Tallahassee police force dislike the University and anything connected to it. My first thought was the reverse of yours.
Instead of speculation, here is the current story from the Tampa Bay Times:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/police-investigate-sexual-complaint-against-fsus-winston/2152335

I know why the SA wasn't contacted. It was the TPD, duh. They don't want any fsu player in trouble. Same thing in Gainesville with the GPD. :rolleyes:

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida

The police have never questioned him. All reports I've seen on this don't make sense, so far. He is not named in the police report and the description given doesn't match Winston's description. And the police have never questioned him-----to read what I have to this point, you wonder why he's even thought connected.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

The police have never questioned him. All reports I've seen on this don't make sense, so far. He is not named in the police report and the description given doesn't match Winston's description. And the police have never questioned him-----to read what I have to this point, you wonder why he's even thought connected.
My understanding of it is that the police have never questioned him because he has refused to speak to them (pursuant to the advice of counsel). Don't really know how (or if) he is really involved in this matter, but the lack of police interaction does not have anything to do with a lack of interest on the part of the police.

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida

Okay, I didn't realize that, but the timing on this does seem weird. No, I don't think it's REC connected!:cool: There are a lot of strange folk in this state (Fla) that might want to throw a wrench into the works. Don't know that this is the case but the story is so contorted.
My understanding of it is that the police have never questioned him because he has refused to speak to them (pursuant to the advice of counsel). Don't really know how (or if) he is really involved in this matter, but the lack of police interaction does not have anything to do with a lack of interest on the part of the police.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Yeah, from what I've read so far refusal to speak to police could also be why this took so long.

Also, it sounds like he's got football players backing his version of events up, which really says nothing to guilt or innocent (there's been far too many crimes involving groups of football players), which would also complicate things.

I have no idea what happened, or what his involvement might be... but, while I've seen nothing indicating Winston's guilt, I haven't seen anything that points to his innocent either. There's simply not enough publicly known and Winston clearly was worried about this enough that he lawyered up and refused to talk to police. That's not what someone with a rock solid alibi and nothing physically connecting him to the crime typically would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.