Jameis Winston investigated for sexual assault - and...no charges to be filed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Re: Wow! Jameis Winston investigated for sexual assault

I saw in the paper this morning where FSU is giving the 2nd and 3rd string guys reps they would not normally get. This could lead you to believe there may be problems for him at some point.

I know kids are going to drink in college, but a young woman who has had too much to drink at a bar and then cries rape is not credible IMO. Don't get me wrong, no means no, but an intoxicated young woman has put herself in a difficult situation. We don't know the cirumstances unless there was a witness and it seems this will end up as a he said /she said.

I hope this doesn't ruin 2 young peoples lives. By all accounts I hear JW is a good kid, but mistakes like this could potentially hurt his professional career prospects in either football or baseball.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Read the article. I gathered some "new evidence" prompted reopening, but no details are given. Said it was more than a media request that had to happen before it could be reopened. I can only speculate that the woman or her lawyer must have requested it be revisited as they were willing to "talk" again.

Have I missed something or am I mistaken?
Here is the part of the article in question:
TPD officials said an initial Nov. 8 media inquiry prompted a standard department review of the sexual-battery case that then resulted in the investigation becoming active again after months of inactivity.
But it was not the media inquiry itself that activated the investigation involving Winston.
“Someone integrally involved has (to have) given us a new piece of information,” TPD spokesman David Northway told the Democrat this week. “It has to be someone involved in the case (who) provides a lead to reactivate it.”...

...Meggs’ reviewed the case following day, Nov. 13, and it was determined more police work had to be done before the dormant case could be wrapped up. The police department then switched the case status from “open-inactive” to “open-active,” thereby making the investigative file and nearly everything about the case off-limits to the public.
My take - when there is a media request for a case marked "open-inactive" a review was required before the case files could be released. During the case review it was determined that there was more work necessary, so they did not release the case files to the media and changed its status to "open-active". They then handed it over to the State Attorney. But no new evidence is required - just a decision that more investigative work needs to be done.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

How much booster money does it take to make a sexual assault not happen?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I saw in the paper this morning where FSU is giving the 2nd and 3rd string guys reps they would not normally get. This could lead you to believe there may be problems for him at some point.

I know kids are going to drink in college, but a young woman who has had too much to drink at a bar and then cries rape is not credible IMO. Don't get me wrong, no means no, but an intoxicated young woman has put herself in a difficult situation. We don't know the cirumstances unless there was a witness and it seems this will end up as a he said /she said.

I hope this doesn't ruin 2 young peoples lives. By all accounts I hear JW is a good kid, but mistakes like this could potentially hurt his professional career prospects in either football or baseball.
I generally agree, but the original articles indicated that there were signs of force when she went to the police that night. I don't want to paint the wrong picture here - I have no idea what happened - but I am not assuming that nothing happened, either.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I generally agree, but the original articles indicated that there were signs of force when she went to the police that night. I don't want to paint the wrong picture here - I have no idea what happened - but I am not assuming that nothing happened, either.
I think you are right. It appears that something did happen between them. It just may be the issue of proving consent. If that is the case, I would think it would be a hard case to prove especially if the victim is not pressing charges unless there is a witness. Politics may also enter into this as the prosecutor probably is elected and their chance to be re-elected is not good if they prosecute this case.

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004

I read on other boards that the case was closed all this time and then reopened. I have read a lot of comments other places and on ESPN that this seems fishy to be reopened---could his Heis hope have caused this to be reopened by people that don't want him to win? That's the implication I hear everywhere....

I think its way more plausible that this thing was suppressed from the beginning and conveniently closed by influences. If the media had not found out about it would it have been reopened? We might not have heard about it until his pro career- Can anyone say Aaron Hernandez?

You know when things happen if they can sweep it under the rug -- they will!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

If the statements in that article are true, wow is right. Pretty damaging for the police department and Winston.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

They should get the Mentalist to solve this case. He would talk to Winston for 5 minutes and know instantly whether or not he did anything. Even thought Patrick Jane will instantly know Winston did it he will wait several days to trick him in to confessing or scare him into confessing. All while violating every single law that is known to man, and somehow all these illegal acts hold up in court.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

jthomas, I can't get the link to work. Could you post the address so I can just copy/paste? Thanks.

nvm, BiGTide already took care of it

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I think one thing is for sure, someone will definitely lose their job over this.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

Seems odd to do such a big cover up for a RS QB that hasn't taken a snap in college yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.