Jameis Winston investigated for sexual assault - and...no charges to be filed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Wow! Jameis Winston investigated for sexual assault

Question for the legal minds on here. OK, it's school policy to suspend a student if brought up under "felony" charges. Is the same true for a "misdemeanor" offense? (I'm guessing not). So, in this case, what are the chances that he is charged with some type of misdemeanor, vs. a felony charge? And no, no way am I saying that should happen.....just asking.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Imagine the signs Winston we will see on ESPN Gameday and at games if he is allowed to continue this season.
The ESPN people will make everyone keep it PG or they won't allow it on camera. They already ban all religious slogans/signs.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

I believe it is a Florida law that a player at a state school is immediately suspended when charged with a felony. Hard to believe a rape charge would not be a felony.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I believe it is a Florida law that a player at a state school is immediately suspended when charged with a felony. Hard to believe a rape charge would not be a felony.
Unless things have changed in recent years all rape charges in FL are felonies.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Question for the legal minds on here. OK, it's school policy to suspend a student if brought up under "felony" charges. Is the same true for a "misdemeanor" offense? (I'm guessing not). So, in this case, what are the chances that he is charged with some type of misdemeanor, vs. a felony charge? And no, no way am I saying that should happen.....just asking.
I can't speak to Florida law, but in Alabama, there are several different sexual offenses and most are either 1st or 2nd degree and are felonies. Sexual Assault 2nd and Sexual Misconduct are the only ones that are a Class A misdemeanors.

If you would like to look at them in detail, here is the link as it is not as simple as a RAPE charge:

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/codeofalabama/1975/coatoc.htm

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Re: Jameis Winston investigated for sexual assault - update: DNA match found

If Winston is done and the backup is out with a knee, would you vote FSU at #2?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

I can't speak to Florida law, but in Alabama, there are several different sexual offenses and most are either 1st or 2nd degree and are felonies. Sexual Assault 2nd and Sexual Misconduct are the only ones that are a Class A misdemeanors.

If you would like to look at them in detail, here is the link as it is not as simple as a RAPE charge:

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/codeofalabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Is it still the case in Alabama where if a guy slips a girl a "date-rape" drug in order to have sex with her it is a felony rape charge but if a girl slips a guy the same drug in order to have sex with him it is just a misdemeanor sexual misconduct charge?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If Winston is done and the backup is out with a knee, would you vote FSU at #2?
Yes - the team has earned it at least until they play their next game and show what they are capable of without Winston.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

A follow-up story on "Next Steps" on ESPN: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...igates-jameis-winston-possible-sexual-assault

An excerpt:
The other factors that Meggs will consider as he makes his decision will be the length of time Winston and the accuser were together; the brutality, if any, of the sex act; and the testimony of anyone who saw the accuser immediately after the incident. The post-incident witnesses, known as outcry witnesses, can be critical. If the accuser was in a state of shock after the incident, it will push Meggs toward a decision to prosecute.

There may be dramatic statements from people involved in the incident or on the fringes of the investigation, but the rape kit, interviews by the state attorney and outcry witnesses are the factors that will determine whether Winston is charged.

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012

I'm not saying I believe it. I'm just saying what a defense attorney would argue. Or the more basic argument is ... what proof is there that these bruises were from my client and not person A or activity B or whatever. With how shoddy the police work done was, I'd bet they didn't take many, if any, pictures of physical injuries.

All of the evidence that would be used for court would come from the doctors/nurses/hospital that did the rape kit test. This is a very invasive test also, with close up pics of all privates. Swab tests, hair samples, skin samples from her lower region and fingernails, etc were also collected. If this test was done within the timeframe it was mentioned she had it in, the defense has a uphill battle if the test comes back in a positive manner of rape from an experienced Dr. who has a positive history doing these tests. Most rape victims won't even go thru with all of this, they say it is worse than the actual crime. Plus all this is protected by Hipaa right now, so the defense attorney just has to believe JW and some other teenagers on what happened and their perception of "Consensual Sex"

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

I mean, let's be clear. If he's charged, he's done. He's not going to play football while he is facing a rape charge. Not going to happen. Even Auburn wouldn't do that.
Under Malzahn probably not, but I tend to take a wait-and-see approach on anything involving the boogs.

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL

All of the evidence that would be used for court would come from the doctors/nurses/hospital that did the rape kit test. This is a very invasive test also, with close up pics of all privates. Swab tests, hair samples, skin samples from her lower region and fingernails, etc were also collected. If this test was done within the timeframe it was mentioned she had it in, the defense has a uphill battle if the test comes back in a positive manner of rape from an experienced Dr. who has a positive history doing these tests. Most rape victims won't even go thru with all of this, they say it is worse than the actual crime. Plus all this is protected by Hipaa right now, so the defense attorney just has to believe JW and some other teenagers on what happened and their perception of "Consensual Sex"
If the girl was unconscious, the kit may not show much.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Under Malzahn probably not, but I tend to take a wait-and-see approach on anything involving the boogs.
I agree with you. That bunch might have played osama on 9-12 if they thought it would help them win one. LOL

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois

Not trying to get ahead of ourselves.... but didn't I read last week about that OSU receiver stating that OSU would "wipe the floor with Alabama"...and we had several people WISHING that we would play OSU....most thought with FSU's sched there would be no way.....stars may be aligning...just something to think about

-CLINT

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

I think this is what will determine whether there is an indictment or not. The physical evidence from the rape kit, the state of the victim while at the hospital from testimony given by those who attended to her at the time she was there and whether she is willing to go through with the trial. There is no doubt in my mind she was raped, from the fact at first she could not identify the attacker till later not to mention her off based description of him. Sounds to me exactly like someone that was in a state of shock. So I really think the evidence is solid but its totally in her hands now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.