*** DE/Jack Da'Shawn Hand Commits to Alabama ***

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Re: ***DaShawn Hand picks.... (11:40-11:50 CST approx)

I'm sure many of you saw the early front page article for one of Michigan's recruiting sites that jumped out with the news a liiiiittle too soon. Check out this small section from it that was copied before they took it down. All I can say is if you're a Michigan fan...ouch

"After a few nervous days that saw Michigan's fan base break down in nervous tears, Hand chose the Wolverines. Nick Saban's offer of coaching and a near guaranteed spot in the National Football League was trumped by Brady Hoke's offer of coaching from Greg Mattison, paired with one of the best sport management degrees in world.

Michigan fans can breathe a bit easier now that Hand is on board. Outside of horrific interior offensive line play, the team's biggest weakness is its lacks of consistent pass rush on defense. Da'Shawn will help turn that weakness into a strength as his career at Michigan moves forward, which should lead to more victories."
Meechie boards on meltdown...

Spewin' venom our way...

Bring it, haters!

It makes it that much sweeter... :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

BTW - the word in the B1G is that Hand was not accepted into the UM engineering program, and the alternative program suggested to Hand was Sports Management. Now, I have no idea whether or not this is true, but if it is, what was UM thinking? There had to be a way to get him into an engineering program if that is what he wanted. Offer tutoring or whatever. But Sports Management for someone interested in engineering? That is just stupid.

megalurch69

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

I can totally believe that because if his first option is engineering but is going to take sports management at Michigan then something went wrong. Michigan has a better rated engineering school as well so I totally beleive that he probably didnt get accepted. Glad he didnt though. Roll Tide Mr. Hand

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

BTW - the word in the B1G is that Hand was not accepted into the UM engineering program, and the alternative program suggested to Hand was Sports Management. Now, I have no idea whether or not this is true, but if it is, what was UM thinking? There had to be a way to get him into an engineering program if that is what he wanted. Offer tutoring or whatever. But Sports Management for someone interested in engineering? That is just stupid.
If he went to Michigan, he was majoring in Sports Management. If he went to Bama, he was majoring in engineering. That was known for months because those were the two majors he liked, and Michigan and Bama each have good departments for one of them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but how can he not be accepted into engineering program when he is still in high school. I thought most college students take the same classes, basically, until junior year when they start taking their required courses for their major. Maybe it's different with engineering.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but how can he not be accepted into engineering program when he is still in high school. I thought most college students take the same classes, basically, until junior year when they start taking their required courses for their major. Maybe it's different with engineering.
Not in engineering they don't. If you don't start off in calculus, then you're already behind. While most students are taking algebra, engineers are taking calculus. While most are taking a generic science, they're taking calculus based physics. By the end of my sophomore year, I was taking differential equations, dynamics, and strength of materials.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

All depends on the major. I was a communications major and took classes in my freshman year.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
This is the best coverage I've ever seen of a recruit (Hand) going through the process:

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/firstand17/

It has a 17 part mini series following Hand and lets you see just what a quality recruit he is. I'm as excited about his character as I am his athletic ability. It also gives a good look into the Woodbridge, VA community (e.g., Hand's HS coach played for the Barn).

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I looked it and Michigan is top 10 nationally in engineering. This is like going to Caltech, MIT, etc. Maybe there is something to the academic part of this. Regardless, I'm glad we got his commitment. An engineering degree from UA is worth a great deal. It has been to been to me anyway.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Not in engineering they don't. If you don't start off in calculus, then you're already behind. While most students are taking algebra, engineers are taking calculus. While most are taking a generic science, they're taking calculus based physics. By the end of my sophomore year, I was taking differential equations, dynamics, and strength of materials.

I don't buy the "not accepted" arguement either. Students don't have to officially declare a major until Junior year. Yes, there are some different maths that engineering majors are required to take, but there is no time limit to taking them. Knowing that football players typically go to summer school to get ahead and some even redshirt (giving them an extra year), when he takes those calculus courses shouldn't exclude him from that major.
To be honest, I hope he does major in engineering, but probability and statistics say he'll change his major anyway sometime before he graduates.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

I don't buy the "not accepted" arguement either. Students don't have to officially declare a major until Junior year. Yes, there are some different maths that engineering majors are required to take, but there is no time limit to taking them. Knowing that football players typically go to summer school to get ahead and some even redshirt (giving them an extra year), when he takes those calculus courses shouldn't exclude him from that major.
To be honest, I hope he does major in engineering, but probability and statistics say he'll change his major anyway sometime before he graduates.

Apples and oranges. Taking the calculus courses for the sake of taking them isn't the problem, it's that you have to knock them out immediately or you can't take any other courses. I think now at UA you have to declare for engineering very early. It's not setup like other colleges within the university. I'll ask my business partner how it's setup at UA the next time I see him. He's taught the senior design course in the CE department for the last 3-4 years or so.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.