*** DE/Jack Da'Shawn Hand Commits to Alabama ***

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
A kid who picks us for football and academics. Sing it from the mountain top!!
Special thanks to Dean Karr of College of Engineering.
I think several things came together.

First and foremost, Dean Karr is an incredible recruiter for the University in general and the College of Engineering in particular. Plus, he looks like a failed prizefighter -- bald, stocky, obviously athletic, with a nose that's been broken probably a half-dozen times. But if you've ever heard one of his student recruitment speeches, you'll be reminded of the St. Crispian's Day soliloquy delivered in Kenneth Branagh's production of Henry V. He would definitely appeal to an intellectual athlete. There's no doubt in my mind Dr. Karr and the Shelby Quad were instrumental in getting Hand.

I'd also send out a huge saaaa-loot to Dr. Witt. Without his vision to be the best flagship state institution in the country, this would never have happened. And no, we haven't reached his goal yet. But a lot of academic types that used to dismiss us sitting up and paying attention.

Second is the coaching and professional prospects he'd have after three years under Nick Saban.

Finally, I'm guessing Brady Hoke's struggles took a toll on Michigan's chances. This is his third season, and results are not improving. In fact, they're getting progressively worse.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I think several things came together.

First and foremost, Dean Karr is an incredible recruiter for the University in general and the College of Engineering in particular. Plus, he looks like a failed prizefighter -- bald, stocky, obviously athletic, with a nose that's been broken probably a half-dozen times. But if you've ever heard one of his student recruitment speeches, you'll be reminded of the St. Crispian's Day soliloquy delivered in Kenneth Branagh's production of Henry V. He would definitely appeal to an intellectual athlete. There's no doubt in my mind Dr. Karr and the Shelby Quad were instrumental in getting Hand.

I'd also send out a huge saaaa-loot to Dr. Witt. Without his vision to be the best flagship state institution in the country, this would never have happened. And no, we haven't reached his goal yet. But a lot of academic types that used to dismiss us sitting up and paying attention.

Second is the coaching and professional prospects he'd have after three years under Nick Saban.

Finally, I'm guessing Brady Hoke's struggles took a toll on Michigan's chances. This is his third season, and results are not improving. In fact, they're getting progressively worse.
I had Karr in a grad school numerical methods class. It was my first semester and I was weak in programming. Ahh, good times. He always reminded me of the PE Coach from Beavis and Butthead. I bet he is quite a recruiter for the College of Engineering. He was a dang good professor too.

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
My wife was in a wreck with some stupid kids in a p/u on a blind curve last night . Car is totaled , she is sore but I think ok . We needed a little sunshine today . Thanks for providing it Da' Shawn ! rtr...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I was on the road to visit my Mom in Jasper this morning, and listening to Bill King's recruiting show on Sirius. He had a guy on who had never missed on where the top rated recruit would go. I didn't pay attention to the name, but he said "88% sure DaShawn will choose Michigan". Three hours later they came on with a sports break and the announcer said, "DaShawn Hand, the nations top recruit announced today that we would be playing for Alabama". I let out a yell of surprise. Wasn't expecting it at all. Incredible pickup in what I believe to be, by far, Coach Saban's best recruiting class ever. So happy. As far as him , "Not being accepted into Michigan's engineering program", I always thought you had to apply in order to be denied, so I don't buy that at all. Ridiculous. At any rate, Roll Tide on one of the best recruits we've ever signed. Absolutely incredible class coming in. sip

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
My wife was in a wreck with some stupid kids in a p/u on a blind curve last night . Car is totaled , she is sore but I think ok . We needed a little sunshine today . Thanks for providing it Da' Shawn ! rtr...
Sorry to hear that, hope she is Ok and all returns to normal soon. RTR
And yes, Da'Shawn made the day for all of us!

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Sharp dressed kid. We've had good luck so far with players that wear bow ties.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
We all know games are won or lost in the trenches. Coach Saban has both sides of the line in great shape for the next few years. RTR!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.