Question: Have you ever been embarassed by the behavior of a fellow Alabama fan?

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Yelling "Roll Tide" when someone say they're from Auburn seems normal to me. If I told a group of folks I'm from Bama and someone yelled "War Eagle" I wouldn't be surprised at all. I don't know why that would be embarrassing.

But are you having harmless fun, that is readily seen and understood? You can tell from the tone of voice and facial expressions, whether someone is having harmless fun, maybe just a good time, or trying to cause extreme and unusual pain. There is frankly, a hubris pride emanating from some until they are not satisfied until they see that anguish on certain fans faces and then they take some stupid joy from seeing it. We should strive not to be that fan.

CrmznApklps

All-SEC
Nov 22, 2004
The GUMP
hmmm...

I'd say my first bad experience w our fan base was just attending school with some people who had problems with me because of my skin color. That left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

But since I graduated, its been those that wear our paraphernalia and then look offended when I say "Roll Tide" & walk up to them with my hand extended to shake hands and exchange greetings. Those folks burn me up to no end and I have to remember that I am a Christian, smile and keep it moving.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I had a bama fan co-worker with anger management issues. He terrified Alabama and Auburn people. I once commented about a past iron bowl where Auburn wiped the floor with us (which they did) and I thought he was going to hit me. Last I saw him he was outside the stadium in Nashville for the 04 music city bowl. I figure that last pass by Pennington and the subsequent celebration by Minnesota fans probably sent him over the edge. He's probably in prison or dead by now.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
There are plenty of times that I am embarrassed by the behavior of certain Bama fans and/or alumni. The one that really stands out to me was Joe Namath, drunk on Monday Night Football and flirting with Suzy Kolber (think it was Suzy Kolber).

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If I may add something. Not to try and take away from the point the OP was making, but I think that the major difference between us and the barner fan base is that we actually get embarrassed by the behavior of our lunatic fringe. The same can not be said for the auburn fan base, IMO. I had one at work try and talk some kind of crap about our loss to Oklahoma in basketball. I asked why they were bringing up basketball when the iron bowl was in two weeks and would decide the SEC West. The idiot laughed and said "I bring up baseketball (she actually calls it "baseketball") because when it comes to the rivalry, all sports matter!" I then asked if she was aware that their "baseketball" team lost at home to Northwestern State. She apparently did not know that, but continued on with her trash talk regardless. Said something like "well, one of our best players was not able to play, so we get a pass for that fluke of a loss, but never mind that, that's irrelevant right now". "You know good and well that the iron bowl will not be close, auburn will be favored, and we will sack yo boy 11 times again just like we did lil ole Brokie Croyle years ago!" Called him "brokie". And then she closed it by saying that they once reeled off 6 in a row over Saban. I tried to explain that that was (mostly) Mike Shula. Her reply was "NO NO, yo guy in charge now caught number 6 of that 6 in a row, remember?". "So that makes the messiah a part of that streak, whether you wanna admit it or not". She then laughed hysterically, started singing some kind of song about smoking pot, all the while, her fellow aubies were dancing around with her and cheering her on. Had that been an Alabama dancing around, singing such a ridiculous song, I would have been embarrassed beyond belief.
Did you call the paramedics? :)

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Lots of times. And that includes in person, on other boards, etc. I mean, if it wasn't an issue we wouldn't need the mods to do the great job they do here.

My latest example was the clerk at the local Zippy Mart who, with a half dozen people in line behind me, came out from behind the counter to show me the giant (and pretty ugly) Alabama-themed tattoo on her lower leg. I did not mention that her money might have been better spent on dental work.

But I suspect that every fan base that really cares about its team has a few folks that make most of the others cringe.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I hate to admit that I have embarrassed myself a number of times at games. The last time was the 2010 Iron Bowl. That's all I will say about that. But that day I learned that no football game is worth getting that upset about. It hasn't happened since and will never happen again! I can promise you that.

Wolfman

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 4, 2013
I understand she was a young girl, but if the guy said it in a kidding manner, I personally think you are overreacting a little bit (esp. since the Iron Bowl is huge this year).

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
In short, yes. There have been many times when fellow Bama "fans" have shown their arse and acted like idiots. All fan bases have idiots, and we are no exception. It is the idiots who make things unbearable at times. Most of us just want to enjoy good company and watch good football. I take it upon myself to correct any Bama "fan" who acts like an idiot. Of course, that "fan' usually turns his idiocy on me at that point, but at least it is not directed at our visitors. As you know, in the South, we are supposed to be polite hosts. Some people need to be reminded of that fact from time to time. Roll Tide!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Lots of times. And that includes in person, on other boards, etc. I mean, if it wasn't an issue we wouldn't need the mods to do the great job they do here.

My latest example was the clerk at the local Zippy Mart who, with a half dozen people in line behind me, came out from behind the counter to show me the giant (and pretty ugly) Alabama-themed tattoo on her lower leg. I did not mention that her money might have been better spent on dental work.
But I suspect that every fan base that really cares about its team has a few folks that make most of the others cringe.
It seems that many people who love tattoos have other things that most people would rate as higher priorities. Of course, that is just my opinion.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
We've all been around a fan(s) that embarrassed us.

Now...I will admit in front of God and creation that I embarrass my friends and family...but not in an immoral way. That Bud Light commercial with the guy screaming at the TV...that commercial was made about me. I know I have a problem...and I'm working on it.

I know a guy like that. Hard to be around.

Little Piggie

Scout Team
Aug 23, 2006
Little Rock, AR
This last one I can't exactly say embarrasses me. And I may be a minority of one. But I still don't like, and don't participate in, the Rammer Jammer cheer.
Having been on the receiving end of the Rammer Jammer chant on too many occasions to count (Hog fan), I think it should be reserved for a victory over a big rival or a win in a significant game. It's kinda strange to brag about beating a team who hasn't even put up a good fight. :wink:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am not embarrassed by the behavior of people outside of my sphere of influence because I know that they are not a reflection of me or mine. I am sometimes embarrassed for them and wish that I could take them aside and talk to them, but I also understand that this unsolicited advice is almost never well received (and is very presumptuous).

Live and let live - let them have their fun in their way. Heck, folks like this probably consider me an embarrassment, as some sort of prude. To each their own.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.