Question: Have you ever been embarassed by the behavior of a fellow Alabama fan?

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Need to talk this through as I am feeling quite upset at the moment.

Tonight was the orientation for my daughter's 14-year old club volleyball team. All the parents were gathered to meet our coaches and each other. Most of us have never met before. The coach, a college-age girl who obviously was slightly anxious about speaking to a group of adults, was introducing herself.

She said that she was from Auburn and had attended Auburn High School. No sooner had she said this than one of the dads, out of the blue, said "Roll Tide!"

Not only was it rude to interrupt her, it was double rude to say what he said in that setting.

She handled it very well, basically ignoring it. However, it has been on my mind ever since and is really bugging me. I felt embarrassed for him and upset that such a rube represents my school. It almost makes me understand what my Auburn fan friends mean when they talk about how obnoxious Bama fans can be.

I respect the members of this board and would love to hear your opinions and perhaps similar situations where this has happened to you. A little group therapy session might be useful to help me work through this.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
The guy who sits behind me is a terrible fan. He almost provoked a fight with an Auburn fan in 2010, and I would have rooted for the Aub to whoop his butt.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
When I've been embarrassed by another Alabama fan, it's mostly been conduct within the fan base.

At the 2007 FSU game in Jacksonville, a fellow Alabama fan stopped dead in the aisle right between me and the action. After missing two plays staring at his butt, I tapped him on the shoulder and asked him as politely as I could to move up or back. In a loud voice, he invited me to perform what is in most states a crime against nature. I was with a family and their kids, so I didn't respond. But, Lord help me, I did want to.

I've been around more Alabama fans than I'd like to admit who second-guess every play call or personnel decision, except, of course, the ones that succeed spectacularly. Most of them never played at all, or if they did, it wasn't past the high school level. Good grief, they are tiresome. I've even left my seat because of these guys.

With my own eyes, I've seen only one incident against the opposing team that embarrassed me. At the 1991 Auburn game at Legion Field, there were a number of Alabama fans wearing t-shirts that asked the reader, in the most vulgar terms possible, to have marital relations with Auburn.

This last one I can't exactly say embarrasses me. And I may be a minority of one. But I still don't like, and don't participate in, the Rammer Jammer cheer.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Updyke! Just looking at the guy is just sickening. Anyone that says roll damn tide... That really grinds my gears.

Sent from my iPhone
I have never used profanity between Roll and Tide and never will. I cringe even when barners do it with their cheer. Saying damn is bad enough, but the really bad words that I can't say on here really drives me up the wall.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Oh yeah, there have been times that I have been embarrassed:

First was in Tampa back in 1996, watching the Alabama-Tennessee game at a sports bar where Alabama alums/fans gathered to watch. We lost the game, and a guy starts yelling, "STALLINGS!... RECTUM!" over and over again.

Only he wasn't saying "rectum", but rather the term for that part of the human anatomy that will get you a few days in the penalty box on Tidefans.

The second time was at the 2000 South Carolina game. A couple of mullet sporting rednecks that embodied everything negative in that "article" that Clay Travis wrote about the dumbest fanbases were overserved, and proceeded to hurl racial epithets at Andrew Zow.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Yes, I have many times. I can remember back in Coach Bryant's years in the 70's people going nuts when we lost a game. We were only losing about 1 maybe a year those years and they were calling for heads to roll. I can't imagine what it would have been like if the internet had existed like it does now

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
This last one I can't exactly say embarrasses me. And I may be a minority of one. But I still don't like, and don't participate in, the Rammer Jammer cheer.
I can respect why you don't like the Rammer Jammer. I always thought Rammer Jammer was less offensive when it came before the ball game.

Still, I'm all in on a Rammer Jammer. It's all in good fun and part of the victory.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Maybe the dad that interrupted was afraid the team would be called Tigers or select orange and blue for team colors.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.