Link: ESPN - The Experts: McCarron For Heisman?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's fine. You have your set of criteria. But I'm coming at it from an efficiency standpoint that is tied to winning. You can spit out all the overall numbers you want. But from an efficiency standpoint AJ has been better this season. Again, it may not be that big of a deal for you that Manziel arguably cost his team the Alabama game by throwing two picks that at minimum had a 21 pt swing in the game. I didn't get to watch much of the Auburn game but I doubt those two picks were zero sum transactions as well. Turnovers are the kryptonite of big stats and when I'm looking at a player and measuring what he's done I don't turn a blind eye to turnovers. Especially seeing how they play such a huge part in a team's success.
He's not around to answer any more. His potty mouth plus his 15-year old maturity level did him in...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh, didn't realize that. I wasn't able to get back on until this morning so I didn't realize he'd been put in time out.
I suspended him yesterday over his homosexual comparisons. I told him what would be expected of him to hang around. This AM, I had a PM blast from him full of defiance. No room for his ilk...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
That's fine. You have your set of criteria. But I'm coming at it from an efficiency standpoint that is tied to winning. You can spit out all the overall numbers you want. But from an efficiency standpoint AJ has been better this season. Again, it may not be that big of a deal for you that Manziel arguably cost his team the Alabama game by throwing two picks that at minimum had a 21 pt swing in the game. I didn't get to watch much of the Auburn game but I doubt those two picks were zero sum transactions as well. Turnovers are the kryptonite of big stats and when I'm looking at a player and measuring what he's done I don't turn a blind eye to turnovers. Especially seeing how they play such a huge part in a team's success.
That's the point I tried to make earlier, you just spell it out better.

When you have a talented hotdog that feels like he needs to carry the team, he can be prone to a risky or reckless style play...his athletic ability lets him pull it off more often than not, but when he messes up, it can really throw a monkey wrench in trying to win the game.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
AJ has completed 67% of his passes for 2,228 yards, 8.5 yards per attempt, 21 TDs and 5 Ints zero rushing TDs Petty has completed 65% for 2,992 and a 12.8 yards per attempt, 25 TDs and 1 Int, 10 rushing TDs Both are undefeated at this point. Who would you pick between those two today? What valid argument would you use for either?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
AJ has completed 67% of his passes for 2,228 yards, 8.5 yards per attempt, 21 TDs and 5 Ints zero rushing TDs Petty has completed 65% for 2,992 and a 12.8 yards per attempt, 25 TDs and 1 Int, 10 rushing TDs Both are undefeated at this point. Who would you pick between those two today? What valid argument would you use for either?
I would pick AJ because I would add weight to other factors, like playing in the SEC, having a far better set of RBs to dilute his passing stats, and the two championship rings already in his dresser drawer. But I would vote for Petty over Winston.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I would pick AJ because I would add weight to other factors, like playing in the SEC, having a far better set of RBs to dilute his passing stats, and the two championship rings already in his dresser drawer. But I would vote for Petty over Winston.
Petty will soon have two RBs over 1,000 yards, so don't know about diluting stats. The award is for this year so rings in the drawer shouldn't count, but hard for me to overlook. It looks like it will come down to which QB is undefeated this year. I don't think JF gets it. He leads the nation in red zone turnovers.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Petty will soon have two RBs over 1,000 yards, so don't know about diluting stats. The award is for this year so rings in the drawer shouldn't count, but hard for me to overlook. It looks like it will come down to which QB is undefeated this year. I don't think JF gets it. He leads the nation in red zone turnovers.
I did not realize that Baylor had 2 RBs with that many yards. Solid point. Still, if I had a vote AJ would get it as long as Alabama is undefeated. What he is doing has never been done in college football history. It seems to me that this is exactly what the Heisman was created for - to recognize players like AJ. Not so much to recognize players who have a single great season, or a single great "moment". The best player in college football might just be the player with the best overall resume. I just do not understand why anyone would want to limit it to a single season when a "career" like AJ's is out there.

How can the greatest team leader in the history of the game never win it? To me, it invalidates the award altogether.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Agree that it would be strange for a three time champion (as a starter) not to win a Heisman.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I did not realize that Baylor had 2 RBs with that many yards. Solid point. Still, if I had a vote AJ would get it as long as Alabama is undefeated. What he is doing has never been done in college football history. It seems to me that this is exactly what the Heisman was created for - to recognize players like AJ. Not so much to recognize players who have a single great season, or a single great "moment". The best player in college football might just be the player with the best overall resume. I just do not understand why anyone would want to limit it to a single season when a "career" like AJ's is out there.

How can the greatest team leader in the history of the game never win it? To me, it invalidates the award altogether.
The Hypesman has always had dubious credibility in these parts, notwithstanding the '09 award.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'd also look at strength of schedule. Petty is just now getting into the meat of their conference. His first 7 games were not only against unranked teams but some pitiful teams as well. Wofford, Buffalo, Louisiana-Monroe, Iowa St (1-9) Kansas (3-7) and West Virginia (4-7). Where as in our first seven games we played 3 ranked opponents (at the time we played them).

But going simply by numbers only without any form of context Petty wins hands down.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I suspended him yesterday over his homosexual comparisons. I told him what would be expected of him to hang around. This AM, I had a PM blast from him full of defiance. No room for his ilk...
I wasn't aware when I made my post yesterday that he couldn't take a joke.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
I don't have time to do it, but I would like to compare AJ's performance this year to Ken Dorsey's during the Miami run. I've always thought that was a pretty good comparison in terms of college QB play for a great team. I mention that to say that I don't recall Dorsey being mentioned as a legitimate Heisman contender, most likely because of the caliber of his team. I wouldn't trade AJ for anyone, but I also wouldn't put him #1 on my Heisman list. Just my opinion.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Ken Dorsey was 3rd in the Heisman voting and a lot of people think he should have won.

Last edited:

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
The Heisman is not the college MVP. This post - and others like it - indicate your belief of the Heisman is for the most valuable player. It's not.
... not sure what the Heisman is about anymore

... and I'm not sure what AJ's chances are this year

... but no one can convince me he's any less of a prospect than Jason White or Matt Leinart was

... actually, when Jason White won it, that's when I gave up on the Touchdown Club of NY and their *award*

... just my 2 :smile:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.