please chad lindsay back at starting center

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
i know, leave to the coaching staff, they know best. i cant help myself. after watching our offensive line before ryan kellys injury, and when chad stepped in was like night and day. i do not buy into all the communication problems we hear from mr. ryan before and the last game. sure, we had 196 yards rushing at the end of the miss st game, but, what about the terrible first half. this with state only having 3 rushing during the game. still sacked and rushed aj. once again we could not run between the tackles. i stated before during the short 3 game stint of chad that we were physically playing bama football again. chad was a bull in the middle, and attacking the defense. once again, against the bigger lines we have no rush inside the tackles. it did not look like communication problems to me. it was either we was physically getting beat inside or the guys were not up for the game. hard to believe the latter this late in the season, and near as bad as game after LSU. chattanooga will not prove anything except a practice session. we now have to wait and see in a critical auburn game. sorry, for the rant, but i am concerned this late in the season.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
the wording on this borders on trashing a player. Be very careful on how you discuss player performance.

Edit, on a 2nd and 3rd reading, it's not as bad as I first though. Reading without and caps or punctuation makes it tough to process what's actually being said.

Last edited:
i know, leave to the coaching staff, they know best. i cant help myself. after watching our offensive line before ryan kellys injury, and when chad stepped in was like night and day. i do not buy into all the communication problems we hear from mr. ryan before and the last game. sure, we had 196 yards rushing at the end of the miss st game, but, what about the terrible first half. this with state only having 3 rushing during the game. still sacked and rushed aj. once again we could not run between the tackles. i stated before during the short 3 game stint of chad that we were physically playing bama football again. chad was a bull in the middle, and attacking the defense. once again, against the bigger lines we have no rush inside the tackles. it did not look like communication problems to me. it was either we was physically getting beat inside or the guys were not up for the game. hard to believe the latter this late in the season, and near as bad as game after LSU. chattanooga will not prove anything except a practice session. we now have to wait and see in a critical auburn game. sorry, for the rant, but i am concerned this late in the season.
You make a valid point and I feel the same way but saban will do what is best. I have full confidence in him and I love his mentality on the game and where players need to be.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I've said the exact same thing about wanting Lindsey back as our starting C, but, there's a lot of variables involved, when our coaches sit down & names our starting lineup before each game..The biggest factor, and the most important(and none of us see's), is how well they do in practice & preparation before each game..If a player doesn't bust his backside in practice or one simply out works the other for the playing time during practice, that's where the starting jobs are usually earned..I'm not saying Kelly outworks Lindsey during practice or Lindsey isn't busting his backside during practice, we simply don't know, and I have a feeling, it's those unseen variables that's won Kelly the starting position at the C spot..JMHO

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
While I was/am a fan of Lindsay, you'll have to admit that the games he started weren't against defensive fronts that one would call stout. Since Kelly has been back, we did push LSU around, and that's usually a fair indicator, although their not as good as usual.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Ain't gonna happen. Anymore then Cyrus Jones is going to get behind Eddie Jackson in the pecking order. I think it's harder to make grievous mistakes with all the talent on this team. Thank goodness. But there is a physical nastiness and presence emanating from Chad Lindsay and Cyrus Kouandjio on the LOS and you can see it. With Kelly, there's that technique and talent, but not that same physical approach. And you can see it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've said the exact same thing about wanting Lindsey back as our starting C, but, there's a lot of variables involved, when our coaches sit down & names our starting lineup before each game..The biggest factor, and the most important(and none of us see's), is how well they do in practice & preparation before each game..If a player doesn't bust his backside in practice or one simply out works the other for the playing time during practice, that's where the starting jobs are usually earned..I'm not saying Kelly outworks Lindsey during practice or Lindsey isn't busting his backside during practice, we simply don't know, and I have a feeling, it's those unseen variables that's won Kelly the starting position at the C spot..JMHO
I'll add another thing as well that could very well be overlooked. From my armchair coaches seat in my recliner it LOOKS LIKE Kelly's man is beating him but in all reality it my be one of the guards responsibility for the defender that is getting penetration. Now if Kelly engages the guy and he just whips Kelly then that's another thing. But the film doesn't lie and if Kelly is getting smoked that bad I doubt he'll be in there.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I prefer Lindsay too but you have to consider they just played against the two most physical defensive fronts they will face all year. With either one playing center, the overall performance was not going to look as good as in previous weeks. Kelly did do well against LSU. I think they were just overall flat for MSU. This happens every year after the LSU game.

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
A few years ago on this very board, a lot of folks wanted Phillip Sims playing QB instead of AJ! I can't and won't blame all of what i saw this past saturday on Kelly. He makes the calls, but he don't block everyone on the D-line. and I only saw one play where he failed to block his man.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
During the years of Dubose, Franchione, Shula.... I found myself obsessing like this over almost every position on the field. Since 2007? Not so much.

Saban knows football, Saban wants to win. Let the driver drive the bus; we get to look out the window and enjoy the passing scenery.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I prefer Lindsay too but you have to consider they just played against the two most physical defensive fronts they will face all year. With either one playing center, the overall performance was not going to look as good as in previous weeks. Kelly did do well against LSU. I think they were just overall flat for MSU. This happens every year after the LSU game.
Do you really think that Auburn won't be physical?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'll add another thing as well that could very well be overlooked. From my armchair coaches seat in my recliner it LOOKS LIKE Kelly's man is beating him but in all reality it my be one of the guards responsibility for the defender that is getting penetration. Now if Kelly engages the guy and he just whips Kelly then that's another thing. But the film doesn't lie and if Kelly is getting smoked that bad I doubt he'll be in there.
Great point BB..Even though it may loo like Kelly got bat by his man, that can be deceiving, it may not be Kelley's fault if it's another OLinman, that missed the block or blocked the wrong DLineman..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If that is the case, wouldn't the guards continue to have problems when Chad was starting? If that problem only arises with Ryan at center, I could see the communication issues.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I can only side with the coaches who are there every day. I think Lindsay has a good shot at getting steen's spot next season or forcing kelly to steens spot. No matter what I do believe Kelly will need to put on some muscle this winter to keep ahead of the pack.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
If that is the case, wouldn't the guards continue to have problems when Chad was starting? If that problem only arises with Ryan at center, I could see the communication issues.
To be honest I have no clue unless I watch the film or game over. Which I don't have the time. I'm just trying to be as objective as I can with what I saw during the game. I don't want to wrongfully place blame on a kid that when you watch the film wasn't all his fault, if at all.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
To be honest I have no clue unless I watch the film or game over. Which I don't have the time. I'm just trying to be as objective as I can with what I saw during the game. I don't want to wrongfully place blame on a kid that when you watch the film wasn't all his fault, if at all.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm not placing blame on any of the players. Just commenting on your post.

If the guards aren't only messing up when Kelly is playing, that would be a sign of the communication issues.

If the guards are messing up with both, that's a sign our guards are bad.

Does that make sense? I may not be clearly making my point.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm not placing blame on any of the players. Just commenting on your post.

If the guards aren't only messing up when Kelly is playing, that would be a sign of the communication issues.

If the guards are messing up with both, that's a sign our guards are bad.

Does that make sense? I may not be clearly making my point.
Oh I get what you're saying and you're right. It might not be a physical advantage but a communication advantage Lindsay has over Kelly. Or it may just be that Lindsay came in right when we hit a string of teams that didn't have very good DL's. But from my untrained, armchair coaching eye Lindsay does a better job. But again, the film doesn't lie and if Kelly jacked things up that bad then I doubt he'll be in there next Saturday. Or he'll have a very short leash.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Ryan Kelley keeps fumbling the ball and throwing bad picks he's gonna cost us a game.....just saying but the o lines protection has been fantastic since he came back, I don't see any noticeable drop off. This just feels like another overreaction based on a sluggish win combined with auburn winning a big game. He starred against lsu and we tore them up on the ground and he wasn't responsible for the sack they got. Lsu us as talented a d line as we will or have seen this year. Lindsey may well b better but the staff thinks different so there's no need to toss Kelley under a bus.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Ryan Kelley keeps fumbling the ball and throwing bad picks he's gonna cost us a game.....just saying but the o lines protection has been fantastic since he came back, I don't see any noticeable drop off. This just feels like another overreaction based on a sluggish win combined with auburn winning a big game. He starred against lsu and we tore them up on the ground and he wasn't responsible for the sack they got. Lsu us as talented a d line as we will or have seen this year. Lindsey may well b better but the staff thinks different so there's no need to toss Kelley under a bus.
I didn't either until the Miss St game. But that could be for a variety of reasons. Again, until someone watches the coach's tape and knows what Kelly was suppose to do then it's hard to tell.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.