Upcoming Auburn Game: Areas for Concern and Confidence

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If we win the coin toss, what do we do?

Defer and kick off and go on defense? Stop them, hopefully get a turn-over and score quickly and just keep doing the same.

I'm concerned about their running game and their passing game and our DB's popping up balls on Defense and Barners catching the ball. I am concerned about #20 who used to be at Bama, but now is at the Barn. Is Marshall the reincarnation of sCam?

or

Receive, take the kick off and drive it down their throats. Get the ball and just keep driving it down their throats until their defense shouts "uncle" or just laying on the ground from exhaustion.

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
I want us to smack them in the mouth early and hush that toothless crowd. Auburn players will come into that game with a lot of adenaline. They will have 2 weeks without a game and will be so hyped up to finally play us. We will be hyped up too. But I want Bama to remain focused and disciplined. If we do that, the barn will be bitterly disappointed.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
They played a UGA team that was not even close to a 100%. They squeaked out a miracle win ( no thanks to NM"s pass). they are not world beaters!
This win gave them even more confidence. A loss could have drained some of that confidence.

A win gave them the confidence that they are world beaters.

I'm concerned about their two week vacation! What gadget plays will the Gus bus wrap up for us. They will be very rested and ready for us.

We better be ready for everything, on-side kicks on every kick-off. If you can think it, they just may do it.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
There strength is going straight into our strength. There run game and Bama's run defense. They will still have some success because they are a good run team, and I am starting to appreciate CGM's offense. It is a triple option with a twist. They will have to pass to win and they don't have Manziel back there. Running QBs that can truly pass like Manziel hurt Bama not one dimensional run guys like Marshall that has limited passing ability. Marshall is more like Bo Wallace. I do think their speed rush could bother us this means a player like Vogler or Yeldon who is a great blocker could be important to help out. I don't think this hurts us in the passing game with their mediocre secondary our WRs should have a field day. I think depth will be key. Bama has a huge depth advantage and can wear them down over 4 quarters. A close game early in the third could turn ugly by the end. Bama will need sustained bruising drives and hard hitting defense to make this aspect as effective as possible.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
If we win the coin toss, what do we do?

Defer and kick off and go on defense? Stop them, hopefully get a turn-over and score quickly and just keep doing the same.

I'm concerned about their running game and their passing game and our DB's popping up balls on Defense and Barners catching the ball. I am concerned about #20 who used to be at Bama, but now is at the Barn. Is Marshall the reincarnation of sCam?

or

Receive, take the kick off and drive it down their throats. Get the ball and just keep driving it down their throats until their defense shouts "uncle" or just laying on the ground from exhaustion.

I think we take the ball first. We will try to quiet the crowd down right away.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
My concern is with our offense moving the ball and scoring points, rather than with how does our D stop the barn offense. The worst thing that could happen is a repeat of aTm from last year. The barn is going to actually score offensive points this year, Bama's offense must answer. Can't get down by 20 in the 1st quarter to the booger eaters.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
To me, this game will essentially be a test of mental toughness on three different levels. First, the mental toughness to withstand whatever initial punch the Barn and their delusional hordes throw at us. We can simply look back to 2009 to see what they are capable of doing in terms of momentum and getting the crowd into it. Second, the mental toughness to remain disciplined and execute the game plan. This game will require more discipline than any other we've faced in terms of sticking to assignments and making proper reads and line calls. Third, not making silly mistakes like fumbling, making ill-advised throws, or drawing unnecessary personal foul penalties. Do those three things and I don't think the Barn has a prayer.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
areas of concern-
- turnovers
- the booger fans being whipped into a frenzy and BAMA 'weathering the storm in Q1.

Confidence-
AJ is our QB! We will mix up run/pass and keep boogers off balance.

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta
I'm concerned that *uburn is 22-1 all time when the starting quarterback is a guy who was accused of stealing while at another SEC school.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Areas of concern: Luck, trickery, and fumblitis with our rb's.

Also, as hard as it may be to believe, we have not beaten the barn 3 in a row in over 20yrs.('90-'92)

Last edited:

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
I don't think we should totally get out of the notion that Marshall can't hurt us with the passing game. Especially if our DBs get distracted by all the gimmickery going on in their backfield. Our DBs just need to play their assignments.

There's no telling what kind of gimmicks Gus will come up with during their two weeks off.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I know we've got another game on Saturday (so if this kind of thread bothers you stop and don't read any further), but we, TIDEFANS, aren't practicing or suiting up for the game against UTC this Saturday so let's talk about Auburn:

What are you confident about as we approach this game and how do you use these advantages?

What're your concerns and what do we do to compensate for these?

......What else or what would you say differently?
This game will essentially be IB 2010 all over again. The aubs have the same coach who has the same plays; It seems they also the same players as then, but with different names.

Concerns? I don't know. Maybe that as a team, they have grown by leaps and bounds over last season, and in a very short time. Personally, I think you can attribute that to the above. They teach the present team the same things they did back then. It worked then, and it's worked again this year - so far.

Confidence? Imagine, if you will, being able to play the same team that beat you 3 years ago, and you already know exactly what they're going to do. In short, CNS and staff have seen this before, so all the training material is already there.
*U might be able to score a TD or two in the first half. At the break, CNS will make the proper adjustments, and the barn's SECCG hopes will go up in flames.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
Area of concern? I really don't have any unless they learn to pass effectively. When was the last time a run based team really challenged Alabama? Bama made Gurshell pretty much a non factor last year in the SECCG and, to my memory, that was the last real run threat we faced.

Area of confidence? They are outcoached the instant they step on the field.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
This game will essentially be IB 2010 all over again. The aubs have the same coach who has the same plays; It seems they also the same players as then, but with different names.

Concerns? I don't know. Maybe that as a team, they have grown by leaps and bounds over last season, and in a very short time. Personally, I think you can attribute that to the above. They teach the present team the same things they did back then. It worked then, and it's worked again this year - so far.

Confidence? Imagine, if you will, being able to play the same team that beat you 3 years ago, and you already know exactly what they're going to do. In short, CNS and staff have seen this before, so all the training material is already there.
*U might be able to score a TD or two in the first half. At the break, CNS will make the proper adjustments, and the barn's SECCG hopes will go up in flames.
I agree with this ^^

It makes me feel more confident that the guys went through the adversity at aTm and got 14 pts. behind in a hostile environment. Instead of getting rattled, AJ just went to work calmly and dug us out of the hole. I realize that Auburn's D is a bit better than aTm's, but Marshall is no Johnny Manziel. There will be trickeration and misdirection, etc., but Saban and Smart have seen a lot of it before. And I don't know anybody who can improvise and turn a negative play into a big play better than Manziel, and he's hard to plan for, but our guys got it done. I just think that if our guys survived that and kept their cool, they can beat Auburn. Maybe I'm over-simplifying it, but that's what I think.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Confidence:
1. Offense
2. Defense
3. Special Teams
4. Coaching

Concerns:
1. Rain (sleet, snow, and hail are probably out)
2. Running out of root beer
3. Finding a closet barner in the family
4. Getting kissed by an Aubie cheerleader while she still has Copenhagen in her mouth

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I read almost all of each previous post in this thread and while y'all seem to have some interesting thoughts...I still have to {yawn}
I am not at all worried about this game. Every Bama player knows what's at stake, and across the board at every position (except running QB) Bama is better, and deeper. The game will only be close early because it's the start of the game, and it will get out of hand quickly if the Barn turns the ball over.
Barn defense will not stop Bama; repeat, barn defense will not stop Bama. They are not that good.
Bama defense WILL stop the circus-master's Chinese fire drill. Did it in the first half in 2010 then went to sleep; that won't happen again.
In all honesty, I haven't been this calm about an upcoming game since the BCSCG last year. RTR

Now having said all that, Bama needs to come out of this Saturday's game with NO injuries.

Confidence:
1. Offense
2. Defense
3. Special Teams
4. Coaching

Concerns:
1. Rain (sleet, snow, and hail are probably out)
2. Running out of root beer
3. Finding a closet barner in the family
4. Getting kissed by an Aubie cheerleader while she still has Copenhagen in her mouth
Copenhagen?! Yuck! Or any dip/snuff for that matter...

Sent from my iPhone

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I read almost all of each previous post in this thread and while y'all seem to have some interesting thoughts...I still have to {yawn}
I am not at all worried about this game. Every Bama player knows what's at stake, and across the board at every position (except running QB) Bama is better, and deeper. The game will only be close early because it's the start of the game, and it will get out of hand quickly if the Barn turns the ball over.
Barn defense will not stop Bama; repeat, barn defense will not stop Bama. They are not that good.
Bama defense WILL stop the circus-master's Chinese fire drill. Did it in the first half in 2010 then went to sleep; that won't happen again.
In all honesty, I haven't been this calm about an upcoming game since the BCSCG last year. RTR

Now having said all that, Bama needs to come out of this Saturday's game with NO injuries.
Agreed. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.