Mark Richt Admits Staff Never Told Players To Knock Ball Into Ground

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ruct-players-knock-pass?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Mark Richt acknowledges that Georgia's coaches didn't specifically instruct their players to knock the ball down prior to Auburn's fourth-and-18 pass that resulted in the game-winning 73-yard touchdown.

That doesn't absolve safeties Tray Matthews and Josh Harvey-Clemons, however, for doing the one thing that allowed Auburn receiver Ricardo Louis to catch the deflected pass following their collision and stroll into the end zone to give the Tigers a 43-38 advantage with 25 seconds to play.

"Obviously at the end of the game, you've got to know to knock the ball down in that situation," Richt said at his Tuesday news conference. "We had a timeout prior to that. I'm in there. [Defensive coordinator Todd] Grantham's in there. We're all in there. I could have easily said, 'Hey guys, if the ball's launched deep, bat it down.' I could have said that.

======================

He needs to be fired over this one. How long has he been coaching?

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
He won't be fired, obviously. He'll probably win 9-10 games next year. He ain't going anywhere soon.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Shhhhhhh... Over here in Georgia, folks are happy with Aaron and Ritch, lets just pat them on the back, tell them better luck next year and keep cherry picking their best prospects.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
That's the 1st thing that should have came out of either his or Grantham's mouth during the timeout..Knock the ball down & not try for an INT..That a shameful thing to admit as a HC of an SEC team..Pitiful & should be reason #1 for firing him.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I really don't see it as a big deal. The DB does need to come up with the ball if he attempts to catch it, though.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Really? Considering if one of them had knocked it down it would have been a victory?

Coaching 101 fail.
And Richt is not a first-year coach - he's a coach with a long history of monumental mistakes like this one. Like say in the SECCG last year.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Should you really have to tell college dbs to knock the ball down rather than try to intercept when it is 4 and 18 with 25 seconds to go? Evidently, you do if your team is Ga.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Maybe it was a mistake to not instruct their players to bat the ball down, but I can't blame Richt and Grantham for it. These players are playing in the highest level off football short of the NFL, and you should just figure that they would know to get the ball to the ground in that situation. As much training, coaching, and film work as these guys do, making that play should be common sense for these guys. To me, that isn't a coaching error, but two players getting greedy and trying for the highlight reel instead of the smart and safe play. It was a mental and fundamental error, but nothing more in my opinion.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Should you really have to tell college dbs to knock the ball down rather than try to intercept when it is 4 and 18 with 25 seconds to go? Evidently, you do if your team is Ga.
Yup..That should have been the 1st & only that needed to be said to their DB's in the timeout..Knock the ball down..JMO

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Coach Saban reminded players about the ball in the event of a blocked FG against Tennessee and what can happen.

So I think it IS necessary.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Maybe it was a mistake to not instruct their players to bat the ball down, but I can't blame Richt and Grantham for it. These players are playing in the highest level off football short of the NFL, and you should just figure that they would know to get the ball to the ground in that situation. As much training, coaching, and film work as these guys do, making that play should be common sense for these guys. To me, that isn't a coaching error, but two players getting greedy and trying for the highlight reel instead of the smart and safe play. It was a mental and fundamental error, but nothing more in my opinion.
Mental and fundamental errors occur because of a lack of coaching. Georgia's inability to tackle is also a product of this lack of coaching. Georgia's inability to avoid idiotic penalties at the most inopportune times can be attributed to a lack of coaching as well.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Yes, because their natural inclination is to try and intercept it. If you are going to call a timeout, you cover all of the bases. You leave nothing to chance.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It looked to me like a miscommunication between the CB and the safety. One went for the INT and had it. The other arrived almost simultaneously and knocked the ball out of the first player's hand. The question is should the first defender be trying for the INT in any event. I tend to say "yes," if he has a good solid hold on the ball. Of course, he couldn't foresee his teammate knocking the ball out of his hands and up in the air.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really don't see it as a big deal. The DB does need to come up with the ball if he attempts to catch it, though.
No, no he doesn't. This is something that comes up from time to time, because something about a potential interception makes some DBs turn into morons. The go for the pick mentality has enabled a few Hail Marys to succeed, when the DBs didn't bat the ball down either, although I'm not sure I've seen as specific a case of stupid as this.

Let's be clear here though, it was 4th down! By going for the pick, they not only let the Auburn guy catch an otherwise uncatchable ball, but had they caught it, they would have likely cost Georgia field position and increased the risk from a bad snap or something putting Auburn in a good position. It was just a horribly boneheaded play and the only justification I can come up with is if one Georgia DB thought it was an Auburn player right there and not a Georgia one. Otherwise, this wasn't just incredibly stupid, it was incredibly selfish as well.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It looked to me like a miscommunication between the CB and the safety. One went for the INT and had it. The other arrived almost simultaneously and knocked the ball out of the first player's hand. The question is should the first defender be trying for the INT in any event. I tend to say "yes," if he has a good solid hold on the ball. Of course, he couldn't foresee his teammate knocking the ball out of his hands and up in the air.
If there was time left in the game, I would completely 100% with ya Earle, being the last play, I think the coaches should have told them to knock the ball down & not try for an INT..Again that's just my opinion..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They could have not even touched the ball and it hits the ground.

I agree this is something that needs to be up, especially if you have a timeout to discuss it. While this is something players should know, it never hurts to put a bug in their ear to remind them. There was an NFL game a few weeks ago where a last play Hail Mary worked because the defender tipped the ball.

And on fourth down there is no reason whatsoever to go for the interception. Yes, they would have had only one snap to win the game, but why give them extra yards in case something goes wrong. If they fumbled the snap the Barn has a fairly easy field goal from that spot.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.