News Article: Alabama to play Southern Miss in 2014

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/11/alabama-crimson-tide-complete-2014-football-schedule/

Southern Miss is our most often played non-conference opponent. They are currently riding a 22 game losing streak, could be at 26 when they come to town, although they close this season with UAB.

We also have Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina in addition to West Virginia in the Chik-Fil-A game and a rotating conference game at home versus Florida.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/sec/2014-alabama-crimson-tide-football-schedule.php

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I for one am very glad to see USM back on our schedule. Yes, they are really struggling right now, but Bama-USM was always a great little series to me. In my lifetime I have seen Bama lose only twice in person to the same team. That would be USM. In 89 when Favre was their QB and in 2000 in Legion Field, 21-0 in what may be the worst beating I've ever seen a Bama team take. We were not even allowed to think about scoring in that game. It may have been Dubose's undoing at UA.
Southern Miss does indeed need to get a lot better though. This season they have been the worst college football team I've ever seen.
sip

psupoop

1st Team
Nov 17, 2008
Chester Springs, PA
I for one am very glad to see USM back on our schedule. Yes, they are really struggling right now, but Bama-USM was always a great little series to me. In my lifetime I have seen Bama lose only twice in person to the same team. That would be USM. In 89 when Favre was their QB and in 2000 in Legion Field, 21-0 in what may be the worst beating I've ever seen a Bama team take. We were not even allowed to think about scoring in that game. It may have been Dubose's undoing at UA.
Southern Miss does indeed need to get a lot better though. This season they have been the worst college football team I've ever seen.
sip
USM beat us in 1990, my freshman year. 1989 was a great season, until you know, the end.

Redstripe

3rd Team
Dec 26, 2012
Foley, Alabama
I agree, sip. Southern has always been a natural fit to have out of conference. They really took a tumble last year when Ellis Johnson took over as HC, and haven't recovered. They will be back to being a good team again, but it may take years for that to happen. I'm glad they are back on the schedule.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Favre played well coming back from a car wreck. With Florida, it is a solid schedule.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
When we scheduled West Virginia they had just come off a victory in the Orange bowl where they scored 70 points and were in the top 10 the country.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
I for one am very glad to see USM back on our schedule. Yes, they are really struggling right now, but Bama-USM was always a great little series to me. In my lifetime I have seen Bama lose only twice in person to the same team. That would be USM. In 89 when Favre was their QB and in 2000 in Legion Field, 21-0 in what may be the worst beating I've ever seen a Bama team take. We were not even allowed to think about scoring in that game. It may have been Dubose's undoing at UA....
... well, then we have them to thank for that, eh? :wink:

... USM has probably had as much success against BAMA as any non-conference team in the last 30 years, wouldn't you say?

... I personally think the loss to USM in 1982 was a key factor in Coach Bryant hanging up his houndstooth hat.

... and USM tied us the year before at 13-13, if I remember correctly.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Many years ago, Southern Miss could take an unlimited number of "partial qualifiers" back when SEC schools could take only 2 and then none. USM built some strong teams loaded with these players from Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama. I think I counted almost a 3rd of the players on their roster from the state of Alabama one time. They kept playing and beating the two "other" in-state schools. I think they beat MSU 7 years in a row; they trounced them the year Bama lost to MSU 6-3 in Jackson.

I was at the 1981 game in Birmingham when Bama had the lead but the defense called a timeout which gave USM (Reggie Collier was the QB) time to set up for a field goal to tie the game as the clock ran out. USM had no timeouts and was going to run a last play from scrimmage. I'm pretty sure it was 4th down with the clock running and USM would not have had time to put in the field goal unit. (It's been a while but I'm probably better at remembering things from that long ago than I am from something that took place last week...)

I like the school and they have some tradition but I don't know if they can get their program back to where it was.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree, sip. Southern has always been a natural fit to have out of conference. They really took a tumble last year when Ellis Johnson took over as HC, and haven't recovered. They will be back to being a good team again, but it may take years for that to happen. I'm glad they are back on the schedule.
Ellis Johnson isn't really the culprit. Give that credit to Fedora who recruited horribly overall for three years and left absolutely no talent foundation behind when he left. Most of all blame USM administrators who decided to force Jeff Bower out in what was possibly the stupidest decision ever made. Bower was a very good coach and consistently produced winners.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Man, I really don't 3 total cupcakes in the non conference schedule . Those are just boring.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
Reggie Collier beat us in '82
Reggie was one of the most talented players I've ever been around - graceful might be a word I would use (if you can say that about a football player :wink:)

... he definitely took that USM team to another level during his years

... his style of play reminds me of a Vince Young or a Cam Newton, maybe

... think I remember him being the first QB in Div I to both pass and run for 1,000 yards in a single season - may be wrong on that, but that's my recollection

... watched him play basketball as well - he was good on the hardwood, also

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Many years ago, Southern Miss could take an unlimited number of "partial qualifiers" back when SEC schools could take only 2 and then none. USM built some strong teams loaded with these players from Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama. I think I counted almost a 3rd of the players on their roster from the state of Alabama one time. They kept playing and beating the two "other" in-state schools. I think they beat MSU 7 years in a row; they trounced them the year Bama lost to MSU 6-3 in Jackson.

I was at the 1981 game in Birmingham when Bama had the lead but the defense called a timeout which gave USM (Reggie Collier was the QB) time to set up for a field goal to tie the game as the clock ran out. USM had no timeouts and was going to run a last play from scrimmage. I'm pretty sure it was 4th down with the clock running and USM would not have had time to put in the field goal unit. (It's been a while but I'm probably better at remembering things from that long ago than I am from something that took place last week...)

I like the school and they have some tradition but I don't know if they can get their program back to where it was.
Of course, Coach Bryant was asked why he took the time out which allowed USM to kick the FG to tie. His answer was that had he not taken the time out they would have scored and won. As usual, he was right. USM was going through Bama like a hot knife through butter.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.