Interesting thread from 2008 on how Missouri would fare in the SEC

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
From time to time, I will go WAY back and read old threads just to see how much things have changed over time. I came across one in particular about Missouri and how they would fare in the SEC. They were undefeated at the time, which was of course, during the 2008 season. The thread starter asked if they would go undefeated in the SEC, and the consensus seemed to be a resounding no. 2008 was three years before even the first mention of aTm and Missouri coming to the SEC. They hit the wall in their first season. However, in their second season, they have won all but one game, and really should have won it. They are 3 points away from being undefeated in the toughest conference in the nation, the very thing that the OP said they could not do!
Here's the thread. http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76848

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
That is a completely hypothetical breakdown. You can't say that their high powered offenses would work against an SEC team and you can't say an SEC team could stop a high powered big 12 offense. NONE of the Big 12 have played (yet) a team that lends creability to them being considered a great team. OU toughest test was a 35-10 win over TCU. Ours was a 41-30 beatdown of #3 UGA or was it the slaughter 34-10 of #9 Clemson. So to think that OU could beat Bama stictly cause they score alot against lower level teams is insulting to the accomplishments we have made against strong competition.
Has Missouri stuck with their high powered offense that they ran in the Big 12?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A lot has changed since 2008. As coaches move around, the power shifts from team to team/conference to conference.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Kind of pointless.

Kentucky, Tennessee, and ESP Florida were much better then than now. Vandy & S Carolina a little worse.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Well, the OP was right. :)

And I'd give it a coin-flip on whether or not Mizzou ends this season with three losses.
I think they will beat Ole Miss without any trouble, but Johnny Football on the other hand may be too much for them.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
In 2008, Missouri probably would have beaten all teams in the East except for Georgia and Florida.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I think they will beat Ole Miss without any trouble, but Johnny Football on the other hand may be too much for them.
I actually think Ole Miss has a better chance to beat them than A&M does, primarily due to the Aggies' defensive woes.

I've got the Rebel Black Bears by six this week. :)

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta
I liked a post just because....
Really interesting that Kansas and Kentucky were considered good in their respective conferences not that long ago.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I know I said back when they first joined that it would take them a while to be competitive in the SEC. I admit I was wrong. Only took one year. Haha.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Except take a look at who you have in the SEC bottom 6. I agree that the top six would most likely produce a 3-3 split, the SEC bottom 6 would almost be a certain 6-0. It is the depth in the SEC that makes it the toughest conference.
Colorado/Auburn- Auburn easily
Nebraska/Tenn- Tenn.- Nebraska might not score a point
Kansas St./South Carolina- SC
Texas A&M/Arkansas-Arkansas in a really crappy shootout
Baylor/Ole Miss-Ole Miss too much speed
Iowa St./Miss St.- tossup but ill take Miss ST.'s D
This year, aTm and Arkansas actually did have a really crappy shootout! And Ole Miss would not stand a chance against Baylor. Too much speed? :tongue:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.