Aaron Murray tears ACL, career over at Georgia.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Any NFL scout who puts weight into a QB's combine performance needs to be fired.
They do it quite a bit for other positions. Running backs, wide receivers, or defensive backs that run outrageous 40-times often get bumped up a bit on the draft boards even if they weren't world-beaters in college. NFL teams seem to consider long-distance, straight-line speed a major factor for success at those positions although I've never been convinced that it is that important because it is rare that players ever reach long-distance, top-end speed in game conditions.

I could see a QB being affected by the velocity, trajectory, and accuracy of their throws, their ability to master the three and five step drops, and just their displayed mechanics. During Bama games, we've seen AJ throw very quick and flat-trajectory passes to receivers running drag routes, slants, hitches, and curls, very accurate and relatively flat-trajectory passes laterally across the field to the sideline on out routes, accurate darts to the back-shoulder on corner routes, and sideline vertical routes where the receiver can adjust to the ball, and fast, flat-trajectory passes into tight coverage on post routes and deeper drag routes. I've heard some announcers say that he's got plenty of arm strength for the NFL while others aren't convinced. The combine is the place where the scouts can use a standardized set of evaluations to find out really how strong his arm is and get his tendencies on velocity, trajectory, and accuracy.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Is he supposed to be a high draft pick? I always viewed him as overrated based on his lack of performance in big games. He has a lot of numbers and a few records but never really did anything when it mattered.
He had 265 yards and a Touchdown against Alabama in the 2012 SEC Championship and was a play away from winning the game and proceeding to the national championship. 415 yards and two passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown against 9-1 Auburn before being let down by his teammates in the secondary. Just two examples from an excellent career that has seen Georgia win the SEC east two of his four years, only to be snakebitten by injury during his third. He's always been better than McCarron, both in terms of leadership and talent, in my mind.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
He had 265 yards and a Touchdown against Alabama in the 2012 SEC Championship and was a play away from winning the game. He's always been better than McCarron in my mind.

I get what you are saying, but IMHO not better than AJ. Think he would have been successful on our team, but probably have a few more losses than AJ.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He had 265 yards and a Touchdown against Alabama in the 2012 SEC Championship and was a play away from winning the game. He's always been better than McCarron in my mind.
That's my point. He always comes close to winning a championship but never has. AM is a very good QB. Is he one of the best all time like many have labeled him, no. Not even close. His numbers are great, but that doesn't make you the best. Vandy WR Matthews broke the record yesterday of most receptions in SEC history. The previous record holder was Earl Bennett. I don't think anyone considers either one of those guys as the best that have played WR in the SEC. I'll take winning over numbers any day. I'm assuming that's what people are basing AM greatness on, because it couldn't be that he was won anything of consequence.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I wouldn't rank Murray in the top 10 best Sec QBs of the past 25 years. A 4 year starter at a school like UGA without any SEC titles or BCS appearances?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
He had 265 yards and a Touchdown against Alabama in the 2012 SEC Championship and was a play away from winning the game and proceeding to the national championship. 415 yards and two passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown against 9-1 Auburn before being let down by his teammates in the secondary. Just two examples from an excellent career that has seen Georgia win the SEC east two of his four years, only to be snakebitten by injury during his third. He's always been better than McCarron, both in terms of leadership and talent, in my mind.
An argument can be made for talent, but AJ wins in leadership hands down.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Murray had some ups and downs at UGA, but his biggest obstacle was his teams lack of defense.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
You guys are incredulous - it's not Aaron Murray's fault that UGA commits way too many penalties or can't play sound defense.

He's not better than AJ, but he's had the second best SEC career in recent memory. (Tebow up there, too, of course).

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
You guys are incredulous - it's not Aaron Murray's fault that UGA commits way too many penalties or can't play sound defense.

He's not better than AJ, but he's had the second best SEC career in recent memory. (Tebow up there, too, of course).
If career = stats then sure. I guess Timmy Chang was one of the greatest college Qbs then. Murray's not a winner. No SEC championships (0-2 in SECCG) . No BCS berths. 17 losses.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If career = stats then sure. I guess Timmy Chang was one of the greatest college Qbs then. Murray's not a winner. No SEC championships (0-2 in SECCG) . No BCS berths. 17 losses.
You do realize a guy can still be a good player without having a championship, right? Like Prof said, it's not his fault he's had a sorry defense. He's put UGA in the position to win games while the defense doesn't do it's job. Mack said it best - the 4th quarter against Auburn was a microcosm of his UGA career. The defense didn't do it's job after the offense gave the team the lead.

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011
Agreed, great player who probably deserved better than he got from his team mates and coaches. I'd take AJ any time, but Murray did an awful lot given the failures/weakness of those around him. Regardless, hate to see him get hurt so late in his Sr. year, wish him the best on his recovery and future.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think Aaron and Murray and AJ McCarron is one of the best we've seen in long time. Who can make plays at the end of the game? Them. Aaron proved that last week against Auburn. AJ proved that against LSU, Georgia, Auburn, and etc. I wouldn't mind having either of them on my team on any given day. Dude is going to be real good in NFL. He will be drafted, but probably will return in time for summer minicamp.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
I have seen AM actually throw some pretty stupid passes, but his quality throws far outweigh his mental mistakes.

Yet, he is one of the toughest QB's I've seen. He's taken a lot of sacks, rough ones. He took all the cheap shots, thuggery, and spearing in the back by Fairley..........'member? I think he has had to take the team on his back to often. And that has led him to stand in the pocket, wait for receivers and get crushed as he let the pass go----many times.

To be such a GQ/soft looking kind of guy, he's tough as a $2 steak. He'll be fine in the NFL.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
He's very tough, but he's like Archie Manning was in the NFL. Archie is not among the greatest NFl qbs

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.