Derrick Henry Playing Time

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Derrick Henry Play Time

DH is a beast - huge and FAST! He cuts nicely, accelerates well and seems to see the field very well for a FR. I've not seen him pick up many blitzes but he has the physical ability to excel there as well. It's early, but he has all the tools to become another great RB for Bama...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

I really hope to see a Tenpenny/Henry backfield, and I believe I will. This may sound far-fetched, but those two could develop into a better tandem than any we have seen so far under CNS.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I think Derrick Henry is the heir apparent at the running back position. But, for the near future things are rather cloudy.

Henry is in a similar position to the one Drake was in last year, however last year saw Lacy go to the NFL and that's not going to happen this time around. I think only injuries are likely to open the door for Henry to become a major contributor (which, really are rather likely, as was the case last game).

Alabama has moved completely away from running with Fowler for what ever reason, and with Dee Hart, I think it's become clear that he's just not going to be very effective if Alabama tries to use him like they do their other running backs. I suppose the injuries played a role in that, and helped prevent him from being fully utilized but as it stands now, Henry surpassing him says something.

So, Henry is there, ready to go if needs be and I think his progress has been significant enough, because he was in there while AJ was and that says something. The entire RB situation will be interesting to watch, because while apparently none are leaving this upcoming season (probably at least one transfer), Yeldon, Drake and Fowler are all likely to leave the following season. Things should be really interesting at RB in 2015, and Henry is at the front of the line for players to have a huge season (which in turn could then launch his own NFL career).

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

I might just be me, but Derrick looks a lot like Eddie Lacy running. Got the same big-man moves, deceptive speed due to size. All that's missing is that EL spin move.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

I love defense and Lee Roy Jordan was my favorite football player of all-time, but anyone trying to make a linebacker out of Derrick Henry has got some splaining to do.

I think his size throws off a lot of people regarding his skills as a RB, his cuts will never look as crisp or as natural as a more conventional sized RB, same with his speed, but the kid is the real deal as a RB and will prove it in the coming years.

I'm as anxious as anyone to see a lot more of him, but remember at Okie State, Barry Sanders was second string to Thurman Thomas for awhile.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

From reading Coach Saban's statements from a few weeks back, I believe Henry would have played more during the season if he knew how to pass protect. He told the staff he didn't have to do that in high school, so he's not used to it.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA

Atmosphere will be
Only to the barn, who is fortunate enough to have Alabama to put them on this stage. But in reality, even though the game has a lot riding on it, it will merely be our 2nd biggest game at best. We've already played 1 team that kicked their behinds, and we waxed them. I think we're almost as good as we were last year, and the barn is not 49 points better than they were last year. I see a score in the neighborhood of 38-14 Bama.

Dr. Keith

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2006

With both players, there was a ton of speculation that they'd end up being converted to defense, probably linebacker. That's what I took it to mean, anyway.
This is the way I took it also. Seemed like there was a new thread every other week about JJ moving or has been practicing at linebacker.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Derrick Henry Play Time

I was mildly surprised to see him in there ahead of Hart & Tenpenny, but that's where he was before his injury if I recall correctly. He played a heck of a game. My initial impression of him was that he was Brandon Jacobs (a Christian Okoye who believes he's Barry Sanders). But I thought he did a fine job of reading/trusting his blocks on Saturday as well as getting something from plays that should / could have been big time negative plays.Another wonderful option to have next season.

Whoever our new QB is next season will have been given the keys to a Ferrari (with Yeldon, Drake, and Henry to hand off to), and Cooper, Jones, Howard, Falkins, and Foster to pass to. All he'll need to do is not run it into the ditch.
Edit: Forgot Chris Black

Last edited:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

I think DH is a phenomenal raw talent. The announcers Sat mentioned that he's out on special teams....wherever he can get action he's playing and that is encouraging. Even if he has to wait until his junior year to be part of the top-2 man rotation, he will still have plenty of time to make his mark and make a name for himself. DH knew our depth at RB when he signed so I don't think this would be a major issue for him.

Looking forward to 2014, however, and our QB situation, I think most would have to agree that we will rely heavily on the run for at least the 1st half of the 2014 season no matter who starts at QB and that certainly presents the opportunity for us to go 3 deep with the RB group. That would leave DH one small injury away from the door being wide open for him.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Whoever our new QB is next season will have been given the keys to a Ferrari (with Yeldon, Drake, and Henry to hand off to), and Cooper, Jones, Howard, Falkins, and Foster to pass to. All he'll need to do is not run it into the ditch.
I am hoping for better than Italian reliability :)

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

I was mildly surprised to see him in there ahead of Hart & Tenpenny, but that's where he was before his injury if I recall correctly. He played a heck of a game. My initial impression of him was that he was Brandon Jacobs (a Christian Okoye who believes he's Barry Sanders). But I thought he did a fine job of reading/trusting his blocks on Saturday as well as getting something from plays that should / could have been big time negative plays.Another wonderful option to have next season.

don't forget Chris Black. :eek2:

kapeman

Dec 13, 2011

Don't forget about Chris Black. What I have seen of him so far, especially the Ga. St. game, was impressive.

I heard he was supposed to be as good, if not better than, Amari Cooper.

Edit: replied before reading entire thread. Good to see the love for Chris Black!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.