Link: WSJ Article with Mrs. Terry: Bama fans are unappreciative, but we're not leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Is she the same WSJ reporter that Finebaum used to have on his show? IF she is, she was always angry, so this would not be a surprising take from someone still PO's that Coach Saban left her Spartans...again, If I've missed something somewhere my apologies, but that's the way it looks from my screen...
It seems the WSJ is on a crusade against Bama. That was a different WSJ writer that begged Malzahn to beat Bama, and was on Finebum's show. Rachael Something.

There have been several other stories in that rag that have dissed Bama over the past few years.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
After sleeping on it, I'm more convinced than ever that Ms. Terry never intended for her comments to sound quite as portrayed in the article and we are probably making a bigger deal out of this than we should. It was poorly worded and ill-timed, but I don't want to rehash all of that again. However, I would like to weigh in on the "fan expectations" discussion just a bit.

What exactly is wrong with Bama fans expecting to win every game? Good Lord, that's part of what makes this place so special. For years I've heard other fans say "You Bama fans expect too much, you can't accept that you can't win them all." My response to that is "You're doggone right we expect too much. I wouldn't want it any other way". Now, our own fans are starting to say that's not acceptable? Please. If we settle for anything less we are no better than that cow college in Lee County.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not approving of any sense of entitlement - quite the opposite. I don't get excited when we bellyache after losses - all fans do that - but we bellyache after sloppy wins and if it's done in a spirit of wanting our team to be the best it can be then that's just fine with me. To me, that's the antithesis of entitlement, not the symptom of it. Entitlement says "Yeah, we play like crap sometimes but it's OK, we're Alabama and we'll win anyway". Instead, I think Coach Saban has "processed" us to the point that we say "Hey, we played like crap and were fortunate to win that one. We better get our act together or freakin' Ole Miss will beat us next week". I'm not talking about unnecessary hand wringing (of course we have too much of that, too) but legitimate, intelligent analysis of our team's vulnerabilities and the desire to eradicate every one of them, dominate our opponent, and make them quit!

I'd much rather have that than the "moral victories" other fans cling to and I much prefer that to the general indifference and bandwagon fan mentality of, say, Miami or USC fans. I'm still going to support Bama no matter their record and I think most true fans would say the same, but that doesn't mean we have to eschew our love for winning. We are Bama fans - winning with class is the only expectation that there should be.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Us this morning.
Now we have animation, we just need several cats doing the same thing to each other. Come on guys, show some commitment to this thread! We don't want people to think we don't take pride in what we do. Didn't coach say something like... "If you're going to be an internet troller, you should strive to be the best internet troller on the planet."

Last edited:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
"spoiled by success" was what came before "unappreciated". While the vast majority of Alabama fans "get it", there are some that are spoiled beyond belief. Football in the South is different, and in Alabama, it's a whole nother animal. Alabama football is life itself for many fans. At times, that isn't healthy.
Some people do get a little too wrapped up in it, and thats not healthy at any time...

She is just stating how she feels, so, she cant actually be wrong...maybe its an opportunity to take a look at the extra pressure that having so much success so quickly, and how its gotten Bama fans to thinking that every year will be anopther BCS chanpionship might place on them.

with every ring the pressure gets ratcheted up a few more degrees.

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
As Earle mentioned earlier I too thought I'd never live long enough to see us return to "The Days". Im 56,btw,and as happy as a pig in slop these past several years. They've passed in a hurry! Mrs Saban can say whatever the heck she wants,it'll not change my feelings toward her. Thank goodness for her and CNS! RTR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.