Link: WSJ Article with Mrs. Terry: Bama fans are unappreciative, but we're not leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Imagine this...Ms Terry spends the bulk of the interview saying they are staying, and why they are. After spending a good while with the writer, Ms Terry starts feeling comfortable with her. Towards the end, Ms Terry makes sarcastic reference to being underappreciated, smiling while saying it to convey she is being sarcastic.

The writer has what she wants, a brief poorly worded quote she can use to make it seem like that was the thrust of the entire interview, when she knew it was just a silly add-on that Ms Terry wasn't expecting to see highlighted. She de-emphasizes the main point, the Saban's are staying. She, the writer, just wanted controversy.

I can think of several other scenarios that are different from that as well. Let's hold up and see what follows. Let's not complicate things.
The writer is a Michigan St. grad who was a student there when Coach Saban left. I think she like many other MSU, LSU and Miami fans will find a way to show them in a negative light and try to make Alabama fans uncomfortable. On this occasion she has accomplished her goal.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
It this a real question? Fill the stadium, stay for four quarters, cheer for four quarters, fill up the seats for A-Day. They're not asking for all that much, just do what fans are supposed to do.

Alabama has plenty of empty seats for an A-Day game after a national title (Auburn had better attendance, and that's coming off a horrible season). They have plenty of empty seasons for AJ's Senior Day, in the midst of another title run.

The fact is the Saban's have every right to be disappointed by fan support that has actually gone down a bit despite the run of National Titles (it peaked a couple years ago). If the players let things slip the way the fans have, the fact is Alabama wouldn't be #1 right now.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Regardless of her intent or being quoted out of context or whatever, Ms. Saban comes off, quite frankly, as "holier than thou" and as though she's doing us all a favor by letting her husband stay in Tuscaloosa. Perhaps she is, but to allow comments like these to come through in print is very disappointing to me. Unappreciated? Come on. Bama fans, boosters, advertisers, administrators, and trustees have all voted quite loudly and overwhelmingly - primarily with our collective wallets - that we very much appreciate what Coach Saban has done and what he is in all likelihood about to accomplish. If she is feeling unappreciated, either it has to be at some "inner circle" level or she has badly misconstrued the importance of the loyalties and dedication of a bunch of 18-22 year old kids who would just as soon get blasted and make out with their dates as watch the 3rd stringers mop up against the likes of Chattanooga. I really don't believe she intended to come off this way, but she can't unring the bell now so she should quickly clarify before this becomes "clutter". If I was Nick I would be big time PO'd right now.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To all who've wanted to kill the thread - it's all over the net. The matter can't be stuffed back in the barrel by deleting this thread. It'll resurface here and has already surfaced everywhere. Sometimes, I don't think people understand the nature of the internet. Like it or not, her remarks are going to be topic #2 after the IB. Maybe not even second. Trying to kill discussion here is just foolishness. It was a very bad week to make that remark...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Regardless of her intent or being quoted out of context or whatever, Ms. Saban comes off, quite frankly, as "holier than thou" and as though she's doing us all a favor by letting her husband stay in Tuscaloosa. Perhaps she is, but to allow comments like these to come through in print is very disappointing to me. Unappreciated? Come on. Bama fans, boosters, advertisers, administrators, and trustees have all voted quite loudly and overwhelmingly - primarily with our collective wallets - that we very much appreciate what Coach Saban has done and what he is in all likelihood about to accomplish. If she is feeling unappreciated, either it has to be at some "inner circle" level or she has badly misconstrued the importance of the loyalties and dedication of a bunch of 18-22 year old kids who would just as soon get blasted and make out with their dates as watch the 3rd stringers mop up against the likes of Chattanooga. I really don't believe she intended to come off this way, but she can't unring the bell now so she should quickly clarify before this becomes "clutter". If I was Nick I would be big time PO'd right now.
Yeah, I didn't read "holier than thou" in that article. That is exactly why I believe she was taken out of context. I thought the article was pretty awesome!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
To all who've wanted to kill the thread - it's all over the net. The matter can't be stuffed back in the barrel by deleting this thread. It'll resurface here and has already surfaced everywhere. Sometimes, I don't think people understand the nature of the internet. Like it or not, her remarks are going to be topic #2 after the IB. Maybe not even second. Trying to kill discussion here is just foolishness. It was a very bad week to make that remark...
Isn't Coach Saban going to be interviewed on CBS prior to the LSU vs Arkansas game on Friday? I can see you know who asking him about this.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
You can become unappreciative and still love someone. My kids and grand kids are living proof of that and no doubt in my mind she still loves us and Bama the town and all that she has become accustomed to knowing the past several years. I know I love my unappreciative kids and grand kids and they love me as well as depend on me.

All I have heard is Mrs. Saban loves it here and coach Saban has said so, so I have no reason to call them a liar or doubt what they say why should I? Some of you are acting just like my kids when I told them they did not appreciate what I have done for them. They of course deny it and become defensive.

She never said she didn't love us! ;)

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
This article reads like a hatchet job. It contains no more than about three quotes from Ms. Terry. The rest is filled up with a bunch of ancient history, all subtly framed to make the Sabans look like some kind of unhappy nomadic liars. What kind of interview only lasts three questions long? WSJ has run a number of positive Saban stories over the years, but this piece reeks of a jerk trying to get a bunch of clicks by spinning a sensational story out a few out-of-context quotes.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Frankly, as a well pleased Bama fan, Saban's wife can say whatever she wants to and I will eat it up as long as they are staying. She doesn't answer to me or any other fan.

If she says something in an interview I don't like I will keep it to myself and be very glad her husband is our coach. I will not insult our coach's wife under any circumstances. She deserves the fan's appreciation, one sentence in an interview doesn't change that for me.

I still think the writer was trying to start a mess, and so here we go again...

Last edited:

dave12

All-SEC
Dec 14, 2002
hueytown, al. usa
I don't understand this myself, i'm very appreciative of what CNS, and Miss Terri have brought back to our University. Yes we may be spoiled, but we've been spoiled before under CPBB, & CGS. I really can't see why CNS would want to go anywhere else, he has built a machine at Alabama that shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon. I can't speak for everyone, but i'm very appreciative of everything the Sabans have done for us, and not just the football program, but the community as well.:smile:

RTR:BigA:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some are reading this with the mindset many in the nation have: "Saban does no wrong."

Read that article as if the last name is "Malzahn," "Miles," "Kiffin," or "Fischer." You'll say what AJ, Prof and some others have said.

Dudeman

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2012
I think we as Bama fans want to do all we can, so when we see those comments - we want to change her mind. That's why this is such a hot topic.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Saying it once might be a slip. She said it twice and in the WSJ no less. Obviously those words were her intent. I will just say if she had a point to make, she could have found a better way to make it or had a better choice of words and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.