Link: WSJ Article with Mrs. Terry: Bama fans are unappreciative, but we're not leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Link to the story here

The first couple of Alabama football may be standing on top of the world, but it isn't necessarily thrilled by the view. "You come to a crossroads and the expectations get so great, people get spoiled by success and there gets to be a lack of appreciation," Terry Saban said in an interview last week. "We're kind of there now."
Mack's note: Personally, I'm disappointed she feels that way

Recent media reports have suggested Saban may be interested in coaching at Texas if that job comes available. Some reports said Terry Saban had been house hunting in Austin. Asked if the report was accurate, Terry Saban called them "rumors with absolutely no foundation."
"We're staying," she said. "We're not going anywhere."
"We are trying to educate ourselves, to change ourselves," Terry said. "We can't change expectations or change lack of appreciation. We have to change our mind-set. We have decided: this is where we are going to end our career."

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Ouch. I'm absolutely stunned that this is how she really feels. I know fans have been bad about leaving the games early but we've always been appreciative I thought. Nobody has forgotten how things were before CNS. I mean I never expected A-Day games to stay packed to capacity every year...nowhere is like that. As far as I have witnessed though everyone has been grateful and treated them like King and Queen of Alabama. I don't get her feeling like this??

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
She is speaking the truth. But I think it pertains to the younger fans and yes even the fans around my age (29). They don't realize how good we have it.

I hope this never gets in the way of her happiness here though.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I don't know what you people living down there in Alabama are doing wrong, or what it is you must do to express your appreciation, but...get on it! But this is what happens to a lot of rich kids, they get used to having what they want and since it just keeps coming and coming, they lose sight of being 'appreciative'. Spoiled rich kids. Is that what we are becoming? I've always wondered what that would feel like. I'm not going to like being 'poor' again.

Roll Tide, Roll!

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Got to say I'm shocked by this. I'm disappointed that she feels this way, and wonder why she does. I've seen nothing at all but appreciation and gratitude projected toward Coach. Yes, we expect to win. When we have the most talent and the best coaching staff at a storied program with rich tradition, how could we not? But I wonder why she feels that they are unappreciated... :conf3: Perhaps the most appreciated coaching family in the nation.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Only she knows why she feels this way, but I can't imagine it's really true. I think the vast majority of Bama fans love Saban and what he has done here. I'm pretty shocked, not to mention, disappointed, to hear she feels this way.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As above, they've never stayed anywhere long enough, with this degree of success, to have anything to compare it with. Is it short of what I'd like to see? Sure. The only team in the SEC which I can think of with a better % of attendance would be USC. I think they're just happy for any success. With all the other teams, there would be falloff for the minor teams. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to pack the place for that first A-Day game. I hate to put it quite this way, but she is the one who seems to come off with a bit of a sense of "entitlement." I think it's a total misread of how the fans feel about Saban and the program...

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Well, just so they are staying; maybe we can work on the appreciation thing. Dear Ms Terry, you don't know how much I appreciate you staying, and confess to being spoiled. But even for Bama fans, we are entering uncharted waters; its hard to know how to deal with this much success. As Mac Davis said, Its hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't know what you people living down there in Alabama are doing wrong, or what it is you must do to express your appreciation, but...get on it! But this is what happens to a lot of rich kids, they get used to having what they want and since it just keeps coming and coming, they lose sight of being 'appreciative'. Spoiled rich kids. Is that what we are becoming? I've always wondered what that would feel like. I'm not going to like being 'poor' again.

Roll Tide, Roll!
In short, no, you're wrong. And so is she. I think it's misguided and a total misimpression, but not much I can do about it...

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
"spoiled by success" was what came before "unappreciated". While the vast majority of Alabama fans "get it", there are some that are spoiled beyond belief. Football in the South is different, and in Alabama, it's a whole nother animal. Alabama football is life itself for many fans. At times, that isn't healthy.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
How short can some people's memory be? It wasn't too long ago we had ahead coach looking for a "signature win". Now we have a head coach looking for BCS trophy number four.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards... the expectations here are the same as they've always been - to compete at a high level, and Coach has done that in an extraordinary manner. If Ms. Terry and Coach feel unappreciated, they are welcome to spend some time with my family and friends and they'd leave knowing how not-for-granted we view where the program currently resides.

The difference between extraordinary and ordinary is that little bit of extra; the Sabans have shown us they have that 'extra' and what a diffierence it truly can make.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I hope this will send a message to everyone. If/when we win the 16th title, we need to have a huge turn out for the parade/celebration in ttown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.