Link: WSJ Article with Mrs. Terry: Bama fans are unappreciative, but we're not leaving

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've started to wonder if the Saban's talk of the relief to win, the rumors of "special pressure," and unappreciative attitudes are signs that Saban is closer to retirement than considering a new job. Where will these factors not follow Saban? He might get a year reprieve at places like Texas but those expectations will come as soon as he gets it rolling. The NFL replaces some pressures with entirely different new ones: be successful in 3 years with the problems that the draft and salary cap can create or get fired.

He's a victim of his own success in that regard. He can't outrun those expectations without looking to do a Spurrier and go somewhere with no expectations at all.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I've started to wonder if the Saban's talk of the relief to win, the rumors of "special pressure," and unappreciative attitudes are signs that Saban is closer to retirement than considering a new job. Where will these factors not follow Saban? He might get a year reprieve at places like Texas but those expectations will come as soon as he gets it rolling. The NFL replaces some pressures with entirely different new ones: be successful in 3 years with the problems that the draft and salary cap can create or get fired.

He's a victim of his own success in that regard. He can't outrun those expectations without looking to do a Spurrier and go somewhere with no expectations at all.
So maybe he'll "retire" from Alabama and go to UAB?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

This is what Chizik said about Darrell Royal's retirement at Texas.

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007
I am late to this thread, but I don't have a problem with what she said. It may have been a awkwardly worded, but that may a context thing. With so much success we expect to show up and blow everybody out. We start nitpicking every little thing and the criticism gets magnified. With continued mega success people do tend to just take it for granted. They lose appreciation for how hard it is and how special it is because it is now expected. She didn't say we were unappreciative she said there was a lack of appreciation - contrary to an earlier post they are different things. To say someone is unappreciative has a level of negativity that far exceed saying someone no longer has the same appreciation as they once had for how special winning is. Much ado about nothing if you ask me ... More people should be concentrating on the fact that she said that they aren't going anywhere.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Totally agree...when CNS said what he did about fans staying to the end I thought, "Why don't you let your guys play to the end?" Especially against other D1 teams...not the UTC's of the world.
Yep. The guy who threw up his hands and yelled, "Why don't somebody tackle the guy" when Eddie Lacy ran untouched for about 80 yards against Michigan State in the 2010 bowl game shouldn't gripe about fans leaving early in a rout.
"Practice what you preach". I'm sure you can understand that quote. :)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've started to wonder if the Saban's talk of the relief to win, the rumors of "special pressure," and unappreciative attitudes are signs that Saban is closer to retirement than considering a new job.
I figure every time he signs a top rated class coming in, it's like getting a whole new set of shiny toys...how could he leave without seeing what he can do with them?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I'm going to write this and it may ruffle some feathers but I think it needs to be mentioned.
In defense of the students, if Coach wants them to stay for sixty minutes, then he should allow the team to play for sixty minutes.
I've myself gotten aggravated when we put in the number two guys and rather than allowing them to show their stuff and to run our offense, we simply hand off up the middle three times and punt in an effort to keep from running up the score.
I mean what's there to stay for in that situation? Seriously? "Hey let's cheer loudly and support Coach Saban as he keeps the score down".
If the coach says, "Game over, let's get this over with" then why can't the students have the right to say, "Game over, we're just running the clock out, let's go party".
Just an observation.
sip
You do have a point with that Sip.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yep. The guy who threw up his hands and yelled, "Why don't somebody tackle the guy" when Eddie Lacy ran untouched for about 80 yards against Michigan State in the 2010 bowl game shouldn't gripe about fans leaving early in a rout.
"Practice what you preach". I'm sure you can understand that quote. :)
I'm so glad we have you here to tell Nick Saban what to do.

Or, on the other hand, perhaps we should all agree that Nick Saban knows what he's doing and if he asks us to stay for four quarters, perhaps he has a valid reason for that request, just like he has a valid reason for everything else he does.

I just can't believe Alabama actually has fans that can't be coached by Nick Saban. I find that amazing. You'd think people would have reason enough to believe in the results of following his lead.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm going to write this and it may ruffle some feathers but I think it needs to be mentioned.
In defense of the students, if Coach wants them to stay for sixty minutes, then he should allow the team to play for sixty minutes.
I've myself gotten aggravated when we put in the number two guys and rather than allowing them to show their stuff and to run our offense, we simply hand off up the middle three times and punt in an effort to keep from running up the score.
I mean what's there to stay for in that situation? Seriously? "Hey let's cheer loudly and support Coach Saban as he keeps the score down".
If the coach says, "Game over, let's get this over with" then why can't the students have the right to say, "Game over, we're just running the clock out, let's go party".
Just an observation.
sip
Sip, I think Kevin Norwood would be proud of me. I agree with you. :D

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Or, on the other hand, perhaps we should all agree that Nick Saban knows what he's doing and if he asks us to stay for four quarters, perhaps he has a valid reason for that request, just like he has a valid reason for everything else he does.

I just can't believe Alabama actually has fans that can't be coached by Nick Saban. I find that amazing. You'd think people would have reason enough to believe in the results of following his lead.
All hail lord Saban, who does no wrong and deserves no questioning!! All hail lord Saban!!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think it is ridiculous to apply the same standard to fans and students who leave early to the players and to how Saban manages the game. Sportsmanship still means something, and I am glad we aren't throwing touchdown bombs up 50 points like some teams. There are 7 or 8 home games a year. You can tough it out and stay till the end.
And I TOTALLY disagree...against the SEC-caliber competition, let the 2nd or 3rd string QB throw the dang ball all over the field (not every play). We don't have a backup plan for next year atm, so it makes no sense to not let backups get some of that type of game experience. If the other team can't stop your second or third string, then put in the 4th string. It's on them to make the stops.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
All hail lord Saban, who does no wrong and deserves no questioning!! All hail lord Saban!!
I clicked like since the font wasn't blue.

But... if it was blue and you were being sarcastic, then you'd be saying he does wrong and deserves questioning. That would be a pretty audacious thing for a supposed Alabama fan to say about Nick Saban.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I clicked like since the font wasn't blue.

But... if it was blue and you were being sarcastic, then you'd be saying he does wrong and deserves questioning. That would be a pretty audacious thing for a supposed Alabama fan to say about Nick Saban.
I was being completely sarcastic. You mean to tell me Saban does no wrong? You want to say Saban made the right decision to hire Major Applewhite as OC in 2007? You want to say Saban did nothing wrong during his departure from Miami even though he admits he regrets the way he did it?

Give me a break. That's bordering the way Penn State viewed Joe Paterno.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think it is ridiculous to apply the same standard to fans and students who leave early to the players and to how Saban manages the game. Sportsmanship still means something, and I am glad we aren't throwing touchdown bombs up 50 points like some teams. There are 7 or 8 home games a year. You can tough it out and stay till the end.
We shouldn't be throwing bombs, I agree Boston, but we should at least run our base offense with the threat of a "possible" pass, strictly to give the second teamers a feeling of importance and "appreciation" for their efforts in practice. They shouldn't go on the field knowing they're not supposed to score, but, at the same time, knowing they'll get completely chewed out if they make a mistake, which happens a bunch.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Really - you guys are doing Nick Saban no favors.

Totally agree with Sip - if Saban is going to shut down the offense, which he did against Arkansas, I think every one is entitled to shut it down and head to the house. End of discussion.

And yes, I can damn well question Nick Saban if I want to and I would love to have words with anyone who suggests otherwise.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I was being completely sarcastic. You mean to tell me Saban does no wrong? You want to say Saban made the right decision to hire Major Applewhite as OC in 2007? You want to say Saban did nothing wrong during his departure from Miami even though he admits he regrets the way he did it?

Give me a break. That's bordering the way Penn State viewed Joe Paterno.
First off, Nick Saban is due far more respect that you are giving him. Period. I know we have some Alabama fans that think having season tickers or what ever for X number of years makes their actions infallible, but he's earned enough respect not to have you or other alleged Alabama fans calling his actions into question publicly. It's not even about if he was right or wrong in certain things, it's just due respect, in the same way that I wouldn't expect someone to go on their Facebook page and say negative things about their parents.

You want a perfect example of why Terry and Nick have reason to be unhappy with Alabama fans? Read what you said, look in a mirror. You want to understand the pressure they feel, you want to understand why another place might seem appealing? Once again, look in a mirror. You're epitomizing how an ungrateful fan would act.

Having said that, of course he has his limits. Outside of campus, outside of the stadium? I'm not asking what Nick things about politics, or music, or any of that because I'm sure he'd tell you that is outside of his area of expertise. But, inside the stadium? Inside his realm? When it comes to what he's the best in the business at? You're darn right I'm not going to second guess his actions, and I can't believe there are those here that think themselves qualified enough to do that.

And, finally... for you to bring up Paterno in this context makes me want to break my rule about not being personal with anything I say. That's just depraved and sickening on your part.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Good grief. This rivals some of the meltdowns I've seen on ITAT.

Let's all get some perspective. This was written by an admitted MSU Spartan for a paper that, to my knowledge, has had very few positive things to say about Saban. Ms. Terry contributed a poorly worded quote that we have no real context for and she stated that they are very happy in Tuscaloosa and want to finish their career here.

I've heard Saban say this, but for Ms. Terry to say it gives it much more weight. I think we can give her a little slack for the one time in seven years she's had a poor choice of words.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Bear Bryant never asked me to do one thing as a fan and he never sent me a behavior program that I was supposed to follow in order to show him how much I appreciated him and his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.