What's with the Ray Guy (Punter) Finalists (No Mandell)

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Finalists for Ray Guy Award (Punter): Memphis P Tom Hornsey, Texas A&M P Drew Kaser, Purdue P Cody Webster

I get that Cody Webster has done a phenomenal job keeping his leg attached to his body this year (due to the "Purdue Offense"), but how is it that Cody Mandell gets left off the finalist list? IIRC, we lead the country in net punting, and given how we rarely are stopped in our own red zone, that means Cody's been placing the punts wonderfully.

Color me crimson, but I would think the numbers back up Mandell's candidacy.

P Yds Lng Avg
Drew Kaser, P
TA&M
Austin Rehkow, K
IDHO
Pat O'Donnell, P
MIA
Cody Mandell, P
ALA
Tom Hornsey, P
MEM
Cody Webster, P
PUR

So unless this is secretly an award for "Longest punt of the year," I would say Mandell has a much better argument than Cody Webster or Tom Hornsey. Only Kaser and O'Donnell are other good choices in my view, as Idaho, Memphis, and Purdue have horrendous offenses and often are kicking from their own 20-40, so the kicker can just boom it for distance.

Last edited:

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Only kicked 11 times since the first of October---------

On those 11 kicks, four were downed inside the 10 (2 inside the 5), two went into the end zone (47 yds & 41 yds), and two were returned for minus 5 yds.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
His stats are good enough that he will get NFL tryouts, but I am not sure what his hang times are. Anyone know? That is pretty important in the NFL.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
His stats are good enough that he will get NFL tryouts, but I am not sure what his hang times are. Anyone know? That is pretty important in the NFL.
I don't have numbers, but given the average yards on return, it must be pretty good. Assuming nobody finds the "smoking cannon" from which LC is being shot. ;-)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So the award goes to the best punter whose team stinks? I find that as almost as specious as criticizing AJ for not slinging the ball 50 times a game.
I agree. I understand they don't want to award a guy with great stats but only has 13 punts for the entire season. Cody has punted enough to warrant to be a finalist for the award.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't have numbers, but given the average yards on return, it must be pretty good. Assuming nobody finds the "smoking cannon" from which LC is being shot. ;-)
That's the thing - with the level of talent that Alabama places on the coverage teams, it may not be as good as we think. That's why I asked. In the NFL tryouts, hang time will be measured and is at least as important as distance.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.