USA Today interview with Chizik

Rocknrolltide

1st Team
Aug 15, 2007
Foley, AL
Auburn fans may not believe all they worry about is Alabama, but that's what the coach thinks:
Q: When Auburn was going through its coaching search, a lot of people said this is a very difficult job because of what Nick Saban has done and that the constant comparison to Alabama makes it hard on the Auburn coach. As someone who lived it, how did you feel about it?
Chizik: You have to get up every day trying to figure out how to beat Alabama in everything, and if you don't get up every day and strategize on how you're going to beat them on the field and in recruiting, it's going to be hard to do it. It's going to be hard to beat them. You have to think about it every single day.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...gene-chizik-firing-iron-bowl-malzahn/3754907/

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Doesn't seem to be too impressed with Alabama. Thinks aub matches up well with Alabama and Florida State can beat anyone. So there ya' go.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I never thought he was real bright, but after reading that I realize that he's far dumber than I originally thought.

You'd think that with all that "reflecting" he has done, he would realize that he's ill equipped to be a head football coach.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
This idiot still lives in auburn and is still hanging around the football program. Why? Why would he want to still loiter at the very place that fired him? Why would he want to see what his replacement is doing with what USED to be his team? The barn goes from winless in the SEC to double digit wins in one year. Is that not a poor reflection upon him? Why would anybody WANT to be reminded of their failures? I just think back to our former coaches and how we would not have wanted them to still be hanging around the football program after their time as head coach was up.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
This idiot still lives in auburn and is still hanging around the football program. Why? Why would he want to still loiter at the very place that fired him? Why would he want to see what his replacement is doing with what USED to be his team? The barn goes from winless in the SEC to double digit wins in one year. Is that not a poor reflection upon him? Why would anybody WANT to be reminded of their failures? I just think back to our former coaches and how we would not have wanted them to still be hanging around the football program after their time as head coach was up.
They're still paying him....

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Possibly he has a genuine affection for Auburn despite recent events.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
If I only had to work for four years and Auburn paid me $10M+ for work I was completely unqualified to do, I'd have a genuine affection for them, too. ;)

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Don't take it too personally. He didn't say Auburn would beat us - he said "schematically" they match up well.

But you can't really think he's going to actually SAY Auburn is going to lose when he still lives there, can you?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I thought this tidbit from the article was intriguing and based on the Terry Saban thread, I wonder how much of this is playing into her comments?

Darrell Royal told me something one time on a flight to an away game. I asked him, "Coach, why'd you get out of it?" He said, "Gene, I got out because every single win I didn't enjoy because that's what we were supposed to do. And every loss ate me up and I didn't enjoy the wins nearly as much as the losses affected me. So I knew it was time to get out."

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
To each their own, I guess. I just could not imagine Mike Dubose (for example) still hanging around the athletic complex after he was let go. Just like I would not want to be around at a place that fired me and have to see first hand how much better my replacement is doing.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Where else can he go? As a coach he's a leper.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.