News Article: CFN: The Biggest Of Iron Bowls?

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I think this 2013 team is better all around than the 2009 team.
Interesting thought. This year is more dynamic on offense, but Yeldon/Drake are not Ingram/Richardson. 2009 also had a game changer at WR, though this year has more depth by a huge margin. AJ is an upgrade, though GMac was excellent for our offense.

Defense is close. D-line in 2009 was better, LBs weren't as good, and DBs were better. Depth is a huge positive for 2013.

STs is close to a push.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Interesting thought. This year is more dynamic on offense, but Yeldon/Drake are not Ingram/Richardson. 2009 also had a game changer at WR, though this year has more depth by a huge margin. AJ is an upgrade, though GMac was excellent for our offense.

Defense is close. D-line in 2009 was better, LBs weren't as good, and DBs were better. Depth is a huge positive for 2013.

STs is close to a push.

We also have a better TE this year. We had Colin, but he wasn't as athletic as OJ.

And yes we had Julio, but I could argue that Norwood is a game changer just as much. And then our depth at WR is huge, AJ can throw to numerous guys in a game.

And this is just the offense...

I think as a whole unit, they are better than 2009.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Stats don't lie. The results of the games don't always follow the stats, but they virtually always do, and we KILL the cows statistically...

I'll be shocked if we win by <17.

I've never been so confident going into a 'big game', much less a top5 team. Does that make me unappreciative? :biggrin:

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
We also have a better TE this year. We had Colin, but he wasn't as athletic as OJ.

And yes we had Julio, but I could argue that Norwood is a game changer just as much. And then our depth at WR is huge, AJ can throw to numerous guys in a game.

And this is just the offense...

I think as a whole unit, they are better than 2009.
i agree with everything except comparing Norwood to Julio.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well nobody seems to be talking about Bama's great receivers Cooper, White, Norwood, or Jones along with Howard. It's all seems to be just about the barn's RB's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
i agree with everything except comparing Norwood to Julio.

Yeah he isn't as "talented" as Julio. I mean Julio is a beast and looked like a man playing out there during his freshman year. But Norwood is our secret weapon this year and I think has better hands than Julio ever did. I remember Julio dropping a lot of passes. Now if he made the catch, he was gone and no one would catch him.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think if we keep it on the ground, we can run over and through them.

I hate thinking about 2010, we should have been ahead 40-0.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yeah he isn't as "talented" as Julio. I mean Julio is a beast and looked like a man playing out there during his freshman year. But Norwood is our secret weapon this year and I think has better hands than Julio ever did. I remember Julio dropping a lot of passes. Now if he made the catch, he was gone and no one would catch him.
Only thing was though he was the only really talented WR Alabama had during his time. So defenses could key in in him a lot easier.that is not the case with Cooper. I know Maze and Hanks were also good college players but White, Jones, and Norwood and along with Bell, they are simply that much better ad must all be accounted for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Stats don't lie. The results of the games don't always follow the stats, but they virtually always do, and we KILL the cows statistically...

I'll be shocked if we win by <17.

I've never been so confident going into a 'big game', much less a top5 team. Does that make me unappreciative? :biggrin:
Yep, stats paint a realistic picture about what to expect. It's funny that when the Barn was playing a team like UT that they were cowing over how UT's run defense was, statistically, really bad.

Now, all they are talking about is how they are a team of destiny.

I guess it's easier to live in a fantasy world than face reality.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think if we keep it on the ground, we can run over and through them.

I hate thinking about 2010, we should have been ahead 40-0.
I get that perspective of "keeping it on the ground." Yet, I think we'll soften them up with short to intermediate passing and, then when they get unsure of what's coming, we light 'em up with play action.

After they get worn down, then I think you'll get your wish, but I imagine this game will go according to script like most of our other games.

We'll be extremely balanced on offense in the first half and then we'll settle into burning the clock by grinding it out in the second half.

This, of course, assumes we get a decent lead in the first half.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Norwood has been the "money" man for three years now. Seems as if every time Bama has needed a big play during that time, #83 has been on the receiving end of a pass. And caught every one of them.

Crimson Draw

3rd Team
Nov 8, 2008
I picked 31-10. The only way the Barn wins is with luck and turnovers. They used up 20 years of luck in 2010 and another 20 last week. Surely the well is dry.
I sure hope so, but I've learned to never underestimate how much luck they have.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Agree with this 100%

For all of Julio''s talent, he did drop some balls that Norwood seems to catch every time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.