Nick Saban: No timetable on career

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Clearly, he's not ready to go yet. I'm not sure if he'll know until he reaches that point, and the most any of us can do is try to enjoy it while it lasts.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Thanks for the link; I appreciate it.

Not 'Terry Saban' appreciate it, mind you; but I am at least 'somewhat grateful that CA took the time to post this' appreciate it.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
From down here in the swamp I want to let Coach and Mrs Terry know that this ol gator really appreciates what both of them have done at the Capstone and hope they stay for many more years - RTR

RandallPoffo

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 17, 2012
someone as driven and motivated as he is would be extremely bored in retirement and I expect he knows that. I don't foresee him retiring from coaching till he isn't physically able to anymore.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Despite what some people close to him have said in the media recently, Coach Saban seems to have a good perspective on things. The man loves coaching football, and, after a fairly nomadic career, appears to feel that at this point he can be happier doing it at The Capstone than anywhere else.

Roll Tide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Pardon my cynicism but time to get ready.

The narrative has now changed from "he's going to Texas" to "he's going to retire." That will become the new "pin the tail on Nick Saban" game. In fact, there's a columnist (many of them) out there now who no doubt will be penning columns if (when) we beat Auburn and MIzzou and it will read like this:

"Saban Might Retire After BCS Title Game"

There will then be the obligatory mention of how Tom Osborne quit when he was on top, how bad next year is (supposedly) going to be, references to "Saban has not won a national title without AJ McCarron on the roster" crap, how Auburn improving this year will make life much tougher (he's won two national titles recruiting against their national title team glow), how he said "he's old" (referring to the "too old to start over" remark), and references to guys who went out on top (Elway, Ray Lewis, Osborne) and how Saban does not want to leave like Coach Bryant did (losing 3 games in a row in 1982 and stuck in the Liberty Bowl) and how he doesn't want to risk being a disgraced legend who stayed too long (Bowden, Paterno) and (of course) how despite all his accomplishments he's viewed as "second best" at Alabama.

Get ready for it - save this post and simply scan the Net in December. It WILL happen assuming we get there.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Pardon my cynicism but time to get ready.

The narrative has now changed from "he's going to Texas" to "he's going to retire." That will become the new "pin the tail on Nick Saban" game. In fact, there's a columnist (many of them) out there now who no doubt will be penning columns if (when) we beat Auburn and MIzzou and it will read like this:

"Saban Might Retire After BCS Title Game"

There will then be the obligatory mention of how Tom Osborne quit when he was on top, how bad next year is (supposedly) going to be, references to "Saban has not won a national title without AJ McCarron on the roster" crap, how Auburn improving this year will make life much tougher (he's won two national titles recruiting against their national title team glow), how he said "he's old" (referring to the "too old to start over" remark), and references to guys who went out on top (Elway, Ray Lewis, Osborne) and how Saban does not want to leave like Coach Bryant did (losing 3 games in a row in 1982 and stuck in the Liberty Bowl) and how he doesn't want to risk being a disgraced legend who stayed too long (Bowden, Paterno) and (of course) how despite all his accomplishments he's viewed as "second best" at Alabama.

Get ready for it - save this post and simply scan the Net in December. It WILL happen assuming we get there.
I really hope you're wrong. I suspect you're right on the money.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well when it comes to retirement, they should pay more attention to CSS. CNS is far more healthier at this point in his life than Bryant was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
I'm not sure, but it seems to me like CNS's priorities maybe shifting as noted here as well as in the WSJ article. Winning and building a team are becoming less of a priority than that of positively affecting and changing the lives of the young men he coaches. If this is his priority, then I applaud him. Fans may come and go, but the relationships he builds with his players will have a lasting impact. And for Ms. Terry, he is lucky to have her. CNS may be the best in his profession, and she is fully supportive of him, magnifying his abilities even more. It is uncertain if he could achieve the same amount of success without her.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure, but it seems to me like CNS's priorities maybe shifting as noted here as well as in the WSJ article. Winning and building a team are becoming less of a priority than that of positively affecting and changing the lives of the young men he coaches. If this is his priority, then I applaud him. Fans may come and go, but the relationships he builds with his players will have a lasting impact. And for Ms. Terry, he is lucky to have her. CNS may be the best in his profession, and she is fully supportive of him, magnifying his abilities even more. It is uncertain if he could achieve the same amount of success without her.
Yah, agreed 100%. It doesn't hurt that his mindset and methods in shaping these young men's lives also create champions. I suspect the drive to win Championships is no longer the big motivator - it's clear he's the very best there is and before he retires will likely be considered among, if not THE, best ever.

I'm proud of how he represents the university I love.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.