Brennan: Heisman could use a winner like AJ McCarron

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...8/christine-brennan-heisman-mccarron/3776411/

The first sentence of the Heisman Trust Mission Statement doesn't mention wins and losses, completion percentages or average yards per carry. Instead, It says this: "The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity."
As each day goes by, Florida State freshman quarterback Jameis Winston moves farther from those words, and Alabama senior quarterback AJ McCarron moves closer.
At a time when we seem to value the newest new thing, his is the steady, classy hand that has guided one of the great programs of this generation. McCarron has earned the trust and respect of Nick Saban, the best and most demanding coach in today's game. That should count for something. He has as many national championships as he has defeats: two. If he leads Alabama to another title, that will be his third ring as a starter and his fourth overall, counting his first year as a redshirt. That is just a stunning sports statistic.
Let's look at that word again: integrity. Over the years, the Heisman mission statement has been forgotten, if it ever was remembered, and ignored, if it ever was read at all.
Great article. I hope more Heisman voters follow suit. If there is any integrity in the award itself then AJ or someone with similar character will win. Given some recent winners and the overall history of the Heisman I don't have much faith in the award or the voters who award it. Even more mainstream critics are realizing that without integrity the award is a joke.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I loved how the article was ended, "He certainly doesn't need the Heisman, but it sure needs him". AJ=Class act. Roll Tide!

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Nah, I have friends that are fans from plenty of teams. They don't believe he deserves it.

Sent from my iPhone
I'm not certain Aj does deserve it in terms of being the absolute best player in the country. But as it stands now, who does? Aj doesn't have gaudy statistics but nobody has really just run away with it in those terms this year IMO.

All he does is win, and win with the utmost class and humility with team first attitude.
I'll take that over the possible rapist who is publicly worried about his heisman chances as he faces potential charges. And over the kid who has made a mockery of the award since last year and flashes his money signs in wake of his own wrongdoings.
I really would just love to see Aj light up Aubie Saturday and take the award. In this day and time when the world lacks much in the ways of morality, yeah college football could stand for Aj to win it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The Heisman has been awarded to numerous players whose character and integrity were worthless. It has been awarded to players who went on to disappear in the biggest games of their year(Gino Toretta vs Alabama anyone?). If there was an outcry over AJ winning it (who shines brightest on the biggest stages and has class and integrity to spare) then, imho, that would only confirm just how off track the award has gotten.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If AJ does not win then I hope that Winston does. It will demonstrate perfectly how worthless the award has become.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If AJ lights up the barn, then I think voters should have no other choice, since he will own wins over more (and higher) ranked teams than JW, character issues notwithstanding. Throw in integrity, just for craps and giggles, and it is a no-brainer.
But, hey, what do I know? It IS the Heisman Showphy, after all.

If AJ lights up the barn, then I think voters should have no other choice, since he will own wins over more (and higher) ranked teams than JW, character issues notwithstanding. Throw in integrity, just for craps and giggles, and it is a no-brainer.
But, hey, what do I know? It IS the Heisman Showphy, after all.
I'm hoping he does. I hope he throws for 400 yards!

Sent from my iPhone

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If may be the best thing for us that Jameis W. wins it then appears at all the functions that a Heisman T. winner has to appear at and face the media with little time to focus on that January date when the BCSNCG is played. By then he'll think he's "Superman", you know getting the Big Head for winning that award and for being interviewed by ESPN, CBS, et al announcers, writers, etc. He will get asked questions about winning the Heisman T. and what that means to him and a few questions about topics that he doesn't want to respond to. Oh! FSU may limit what reporters can ask him?!?!. Okay!

Then, all of a sudden, Bama bears FSU like 42 to 14 or worse and there is no air left in FSU's balloon! Then, writers and those media people will be saying, WHY did than A. J. McCarron guy NOT win the Heisman Trophy. After all, he has won 3 BCSNC and he has 4 BCSNC rings to prove it and he has all the character traits that a Heisman winner is SUPPOSED to have, you know, to receive that awesome award. It's a crying shame!

Then, all the reporters will be asking A. J. about the Heisman T. and what he feels about not receiving that award. He responds, "The players, and coaches at Alabama received the trophy that we wanted, Ha Ha Ha Ha!"

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'm hoping he does. I hope he throws for 400 yards!

Sent from my iPhone
If he has to it means we aren't dominating the LOS. I don't think he'll even have to light it up to win. Votes are swinging fast in his direction. I he goes for 2 or 3 TDs and has a solid completion % and 275 I think he has a great chance of winning. Save for the chance to give him props and to show that nation Bama pride I could care less about the Heisman. What is sad is that save for winning this award AJ McCarron likely will have ZERO chance at the college FB Hall of Fame! Think about that.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Namath
Stabler
Trammel
Rutledge
Todd

Some pretty good QB's here & AJ has surpassed them all.

AJ is going to have a Great NFL career & make a LOT of money also he will have more rings than anyone (besides the other 5 yr Seniors) I know. He wants another ring & thats his focus.

The Heisman may be to far gone for AJ to bring it back to its standards. ESPN controls this just as much as the Northern sports writers did back in the day for ND.

I believe AJ when he says he appreciates the consideration but he has another mission.

The real appreciation will come from Alabama fans because he is the BEST I ever saw!

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
There an old saying that college football boils down to Quarterbacking and Coaching. Do we have a great team around AJ....yes. If he sucked would he have lead the teams to NCs? No Throwing picks and missing reads-- we are spoiled. He has come through in the clutch sooo many times... The NC game against LSU--- He was almost perfect against their badA defense. Think of how he has performed in big games with the world watching and just about ALL the pressure on his shoulders to perform great and he has.... am I bias, yes.... I can't think of anyone that deserve it more.... he has accomplished more than any QB could ever dream. We certainly might not have won the NC's with another QB. Look at Jordan Jefferson....If AJ had lead LSU and JJef that year they might have won it all. He ain't never been nothing but a winner!

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
If may be the best thing for us that Jameis W. wins it then appears at all the functions that a Heisman T. winner has to appear at and face the media with little time to focus on that January date when the BCSNCG is played. By then he'll think he's "Superman", you know getting the Big Head for winning that award and for being interviewed by ESPN, CBS, et al announcers, writers, etc. He will get asked questions about winning the Heisman T. and what that means to him and a few questions about topics that he doesn't want to respond to. Oh! FSU may limit what reporters can ask him?!?!. Okay!

Then, all of a sudden, Bama bears FSU like 42 to 14 or worse and there is no air left in FSU's balloon! Then, writers and those media people will be saying, WHY did than A. J. McCarron guy NOT win the Heisman Trophy. After all, he has won 3 BCSNC and he has 4 BCSNC rings to prove it and he has all the character traits that a Heisman winner is SUPPOSED to have, you know, to receive that awesome award. It's a crying shame!

Then, all the reporters will be asking A. J. about the Heisman T. and what he feels about not receiving that award. He responds, "The players, and coaches at Alabama received the trophy that we wanted, Ha Ha Ha Ha!"
I doubt the extra attention would bother him because he craves it. He strikes me as extremely arrogant and self centered.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.