Question: Will DJ Pettway be offered a scholarship at Bama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Recently, a lot of recruiting experts have been saying DJ will end up back at Bama. I can't remember a situation where Saban has kicked a kid off the team then offered him a scholly after going to JUCO. We could definitely use a good DL. DJ was on his way to a lot of playing time this year and being a difference maker.
I think he was just a victim of bad friends and influences. If he has learned his lesson, is there a chance Saban will give him a second chance?

Recently, a lot of recruiting experts have been saying DJ will end up back at Bama. I can't remember a situation where Saban has kicked a kid off the team then offered him a scholly after going to JUCO. We could definitely use a good DL. DJ was on his way to a lot of playing time this year and being a difference maker.
I think he was just a victim of bad friends and influences. If he has learned his lesson, is there a chance Saban will give him a second chance?
I believe the same, however I think he'll wind up at FSU.

Sent from my iPhone

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Regarding need, I don't think it's anywhere near what it was prior to the emergence of Jonathan Allen and A'Shawn Robinson. Plus, Pagan isn't chopped liver. So we don't need Pettway nearly as much now as we did at the beginning of the year.

But positional need isn't the issue.

I don't care if we were down to recruiting DLs off the intramural fields, you simply can't have a guy who participated in the beating and robbing of multiple students, done to get money for vending machine snacks, representing the University of Alabama.

I don't know if Pettway actually threw punches or kicks, or if he held anybody down, or if he just stood lookout. But none of that matters. At an entirely different level of seriousness, it's the same concept as the driver of the getaway car being just as guilty of murder as the trigger man.

Letting a lesser participant back on the team because, see, he didn't really do anything all that bad, and, well, we really need him, just sends a message to so many people that is so wrong on so many levels.

Look, I'm all for redemption and second chances. But he participated in multiple unprovoked felonious attacks on totally helpless people -- and yes, when faced with four thugs who also happen to be in national-class physical condition, those students were indeed helpless.

Let's make this a little more personal. Just suppose I'm full of it, and Pettway is allowed back in school at UA. How do you feel about your son or daughter sitting next to him in class? Running into him on The Strip? Passing him on the Quad late at night after the library closes?

I'll be flabbergasted if Mr. Pettway doesn't have to find his redemption elsewhere.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If we don't need him, and coach Saban invites him back anyway, what then?

The coach knows the kids, knows the details of the attacks, knows all the factors at play here. If he invites oneof the players back, he is the best informed person on the planet to make that kind of decision. Whether we all agree with his choice is another matter. But I think we'd have to respect it.

Regarding need, I don't think it's anywhere near what it was prior to the emergence of Jonathan Allen and A'Shawn Robinson. Plus, Pagan isn't chopped liver. So we don't need Pettway nearly as much now as we did at the beginning of the year.

But positional need isn't the issue.

I don't care if we were down to recruiting DLs off the intramural fields, you simply can't have a guy who participated in the beating and robbing of multiple students, done to get money for vending machine snacks, representing the University of Alabama.

I don't know if Pettway actually threw punches or kicks, or if he held anybody down, or if he just stood lookout. But none of that matters. At an entirely different level of seriousness, it's the same concept as the driver of the getaway car being just as guilty of murder as the trigger man.

Letting a lesser participant back on the team because, see, he didn't really do anything all that bad, and, well, we really need him, just sends a message to so many people that is so wrong on so many levels.

Look, I'm all for redemption and second chances. But he participated in multiple unprovoked felonious attacks on totally helpless people -- and yes, when faced with four thugs who also happen to be in national-class physical condition, those students were indeed helpless.

Let's make this a little more personal. Just suppose I'm full of it, and Pettway is allowed back in school at UA. How do you feel about your son or daughter sitting next to him in class? Running into him on The Strip? Passing him on the Quad late at night after the library closes?

I'll be flabbergasted if Mr. Pettway doesn't have to find his redemption elsewhere.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA

The coach knows the kids, knows the details of the attacks, knows all the factors at play here. If he invites oneof the players back, he is the best informed person on the planet to make that kind of decision. Whether we all agree with his choice is another matter. But I think we'd have to respect it.
TSDTR is being pretty successful giving thieves a second chance out of JUCO.:)
Not saying we should but CNS will be on top of the situation.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I understand that. I probably wouldn't like it. But i would assume students at other schools would know about his history and feel the same way. Why would it be different at BAma than any other school. Unless the student who was attacked is still at school at BAma and is terrified of DJ.
I don't know what will happen, but I'm curious.

Heisman4Bama

1st Team
Jun 18, 2010
I am a student at UA and I would feel comfortable only if he comes out and issues an apology and shows his remorse by helping out around the community, as well.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I understand that. I probably wouldn't like it. But i would assume students at other schools would know about his history and feel the same way. Why would it be different at BAma than any other school. Unless the student who was attacked is still at school at BAma and is terrified of DJ.
I don't know what will happen, but I'm curious.
The issue would exist at any school that accepted Pettway. The difference is that other schools aren't my concern. I don't care what they do. I do care very much about the well-being of students at the University of Alabama, and the overall reputation of my alma mater. For that reason, I'm exceedingly dubious of having him back on campus in Tuscaloosa.

By the way, I'm curious on a point you made. Why would it make any difference if any of the victims are in school any more or not? It strikes me that the idea is to keep this from happening again. So my primary concern at this point would be for the safety of the ones who are there.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I believe in forgiveness. A truly humbled and remorseful person can contribute twice as much positive energy as the negativity of the past given the proper situation.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I believe in forgiveness. A truly humbled and remorseful person can contribute twice as much positive energy as the negativity of the past given the proper situation.
Very good point. My son it a student at UA and if DJ jumped through all of the hoops that I am sure the University and CNS would require to be able to come back, I would be okay with it. If he has learned his lesson and is truly remorseful, imagine how valuable a leader he could become for others.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

No we wouldn't and I sure would not like it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I believe in forgiveness, too. I've needed it more than once. But since we mortals cannot know what lies in a person's heart, what must be done to earn earthly forgiveness increases with the severity of the transgression. That's why we have different penalties for different transgressions, both criminal and in our personal lives.

I'm sure everyone on this board has done penance at some point in their lives, whether through the legal system or our personal or familial relationships.

Participating in the beating of two innocent and utterly helpless people who just happened to be in the wrong place at the very time that four thugs decided to have some fun is pretty dang serious. Earthly forgiveness requires something way more substantial than words, and must be demonstrated over a long period of time.

God's forgiveness is entirely another matter, and is ours neither to give nor deny.

If on the off chance Saban and the administration decide Pettway deserves to wear the crimson jersey again before his eligibility expires, they will need to explain themselves, W/L record aside.

If that involves disclosure of sealed records, Pettway should authorize it. If they choose not to do that, they are asking the monetary and enrollment support of not just the Athletic Department, but the University as a whole, to contribute both our money and our progeny blindly on the premise of, "Who are you going to believe....me or your lying eyes??? I have more facts than you do. You should therefore shut your pie hole, judge not lest ye be judged, and continue both the money spigot and the pipeline of your sons and daughters."

Under the circumstances, and as much as I love my school, that is a tall order indeed.

Last edited:

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Don't see it happening.

I'm guessing there are at least a half dozen SEC schools that would take him in a second and I think we all know who they are.

I wish him the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.