Did the FG team let up on that last play?

single wing1

Suspended
Oct 11, 2005
Did the field goal letup team on the last attempt? I could not tell if they stopped running and were surprised the missed kick was being returned.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011
Re: Letup?

Yes. You can watch the replay. They were caught off guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will pass on re-watching but I figured that is what happened. I still don't understand how he gets all the way back for a TD. That should never happen, but the Barn has had a lot of magic this year.

single wing1

Suspended
Oct 11, 2005

This will be a lesson to be learned. With the Barn noted for its return success, we should have been ready.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

We had mostly big linemen, a holder, and kicker on the field. Not exactly the personnel needed to cover a missed kick. We did let up but we didn't cover well and we didn't have the personnel to cover the missed kick.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011

The funny thing is I really had zero confidence in an OT win. Granted, I would love for them to have had the opportunity, but Auburn was moving the ball at will and they by far had the kicking advantage. Lots of what ifs in this game, but the sun will still shine tomorrow I suppose. Roll Tide!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

The funny thing is I really had zero confidence in an OT win. Granted, I would love for them to have had the opportunity, but Auburn was moving the ball at will and they by far had the kicking advantage. Lots of what ifs in this game, but the sun will still shine tomorrow I suppose. Roll Tide!
Yeah I thought the same. Actually a 57-yard field goal is statistically more viable than a Hail Mary throw. We should have been able to get down the field though and stop a run-back. Honestly, we were not going to beat these guys in OT. I thought that was the best decision at that point. Other than not trying the 35-yarder (and going for it on 4th and 2), I thought the rest of the game, the coaches were on.

Easy, people. How in the world can we possibly be disappointed with the coaching this season?

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

Lots of poor decisions and mistakes in this game...enough for an entire season. Not to mention some really poor officiating affecting both teams. Unfortunately, that's part of the game. It's just tougher to swallow when it happens in the biggest game of the year, and a rival game to boot. Not sure how long it will take me to get over it. The feeling is worse than the feeling I had after the 2010 Iron Bowl. The 2014 Iron Bowl cannot come soon enough.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah I thought the same. Actually a 57-yard field goal is statistically more viable than a Hail Mary throw. We should have been able to get down the field though and stop a run-back. Honestly, we were not going to beat these guys in OT. I thought that was the best decision at that point. Other than not trying the 35-yarder (and going for it on 4th and 2), I thought the rest of the game, the coaches were on.

Easy, people. How in the world can we possibly be disappointed with the coaching this season?
I hope no one is disappointed. I was pro the 57 yard attempt. I figured it would have higher odds than a hail mary and never expected a return. Auburn really was a team of destiny this year.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN

Leaving in Yeldon despite his lack of production when Drake was tearing it up, continuing to go to Foster when it was obvious he couldn't make it, kicking a 57 yarder to end the game and not having the team prepared to cover the return, defense was totally unprepared to even challenge the Auburn spread option, running twice on the final drive when the team had two timeouts with 37 seconds left, having several personal fouls due to lack of discipline - all that can be attributed to the coaches.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN

I hope no one is disappointed. I was pro the 57 yard attempt. I figured it would have higher odds than a hail mary and never expected a return. Auburn really was a team of destiny this year.
A redshirt freshman attempting the longest Alabama field goal in well over a decade in a hostile environment with the entire season on the line. Seems like pretty low odds to me. Bama has a Heisman candidate quarterback who has proven his ability to come up in the clutch and the team statistically is better than Auburn, so overtime seems a viable option. It was a terrible decision and I have no idea how anyone would be unable to see that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Leaving in Yeldon despite his lack of production when Drake was tearing it up, continuing to go to Foster when it was obvious he couldn't make it, kicking a 57 yarder to end the game and not having the team prepared to cover the return, defense was totally unprepared to even challenge the Auburn spread option, running twice on the final drive when the team had two timeouts with 37 seconds left, having several personal fouls due to lack of discipline - all that can be attributed to the coaches.
Sometimes, players, in the heat of the moment, forget their coaching and react instinctively. If it happens on a regular basis, like with Richt's teams, I blame coaching. When it's an infrequent occurrence with a coach with whom I have confidence - like ours - I blame the players...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

IMO, the missed 44yd attempt from a kicker who had missed only one FG before this game wasn't the problem. The unattempted 30yd attempt with 6:19 left was. A 10pt lead would have likely won the game at that stage.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011

IMO, the missed 44yd attempt from a kicker who had missed only one FG before this game wasn't the problem. The unattempted 30yd attempt with 6:19 left was. A 10pt lead would have likely won the game at that stage.
I was okay with the call to go for it. I am more disappointed that the team with bigger stronger players could not execute. I do wish Drake would have gotten more touches. Especially on that 4th and 1.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011

A redshirt freshman attempting the longest Alabama field goal in well over a decade in a hostile environment with the entire season on the line. Seems like pretty low odds to me. Bama has a Heisman candidate quarterback who has proven his ability to come up in the clutch and the team statistically is better than Auburn, so overtime seems a viable option. It was a terrible decision and I have no idea how anyone would be unable to see that.
No doubt it was low odds but so was the chance they would return it like they did. We don't know what that kid is capable of but I would assume coach has seen him kick 57+ yard FGs before. I am just saying I would have kicked too and then got ready for overtime. Perhaps we could have been better prepared to tackle the return man. In hindsight, I wish that 1 second would have been ran off!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.