Question: Was Ms. Saban right?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
In general, she was correct. It showed after the loss last night.
Fans of the losing team in this rivalry has have always responded this way though. Granted a lot of idiots took it way too far, but again, they have always have. Sadly, it is just the nature of the beast. LSU fans freaked out in 2004 when CNS went 9-3 after winning the BCSNCG in 2003. Some of those own fans were saying 2003 was a fluke, and they were pointing to CNS as showing his true colors as the coach that lost to UAB.

Success breeds victims of success, and we are no different than anybody else. The idiot fringe of all fanbases show their true colors when their teams lose, especially to their biggest rival. It is what it is.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Oh, for heaven's sake. I said in another thread how much of a reality check this was for me, but that was a stinging loss, and as long as they leave the players alone, fans are entitled to say what they like.

And this loss is on CNS first and foremost. That much cannot be denied.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Yup. People saying Saban doesn't get the IB? Get out of here with that nonsense. People saying Sabans record against Auburn isn't good enough? Come on.

I hate losing more than most, but we just lost to the #4 team that also happens to be our biggest rival, in a game that was miraculous.

Name a rival Saban hasn't humiliated, whose had their manhood taken away? A close loss happens. No one wins them all.

Last edited:

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
Well, the expectations ARE unrealistic at times- from the fans expectations of the team to the Sabans' expectations of the fanbase. Go back and take a look at the score prediction thread preceding the Iron Bowl and you'll see what I mean. Most folks seemed to expect a repeat of last years game and ignored the fact that this barn team is vastly different from last year's in terms of talent, coaching, and most of all; attitude. Jess pointed to a close game in his preview, and it went largely unnoticed. I won't bother repeating everything that Jess said in another post game thread, but I will say I agree wholeheartedly with his sentiments.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Yup. People saying Saban doesn't get the IB? Get out of here with that nonsense. People saying Sabans record against Auburn isn't good enough? Come on.

I hate losing more than most, but we just lost to the #4 team that also happens to be our biggest rival, in a game that was miraculous.

Name a rival Saban hasn't humiliated, whose had their manhood taken away? A close loss happens. No one wins them all.
You obviously read Jess' piece, because you were talking this nonsense in that thread. But did you comprehend it?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Oh, for heaven's sake. I said in another thread how much of a reality check this was for me, but that was a stinging loss, and as long as they leave the players alone, fans are entitled to say what they like.

And this loss is on CNS first and foremost. That much cannot be denied.
Oh for Heaven's Sake, I agree with this post! :)

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
You can't control what other people do or think. For my own part, I have always said and always will say that I have been immensely grateful and appreciative of the time Coach Saban has given us, the place he's put the program in, and have supported the team through thick and thin. At the end of the day, I think as long as you know that to be true about yourself, it's not healthy to dwell on such things or to try to look for blame or fault in your own ranks. What good does blame do? Any problems we have had will get addressed over time by the best staff on the planet and I'm happy with that. No program is perfect, but I'd say that in the history of college football we're probably at the top of the pile.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
If fans didn't 'appreciated success, then they wouldn't be so distraught when the team loses.
However, if any fan is expecting to win EVERY game, then he is not realistic. BUT, if you don't go into EVERY game expecting to win, you don't appreciate the success you've had.

So, no....Ms Saban was wrong when she called out the entire fanbase, and she's still wrong on 12/1/2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

A 4-3 record against Auburn is not good enough. The measurement in that series for "good enough" starts at about 65-70 percent. Starts.

As for what Terry Saban said, I've already touched on that. When you start telling other people how they should feel about you, you're going beyond what's either doable or even proper. That echoes the Franchione situation. I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she was quoted out of context, but at the point that article was written -- i.e., before this loss to Auburn -- Alabama had compensated the Sabans extremely well for their work here, and I don't know the first person who was unappreciative of the hard work or the hardware.

She had no idea how the Auburn game was going to turn out, so the result of the game has no bearing on what she said a month earlier, unless she's Miss Cleo. Even after this Auburn loss, people are appreciative of what's been done the last seven years, but they have concerns with how this particular series has been handled. If you expect people to blindly support any coach, no matter how good they are, you've got the wrong program. There's now a seven-year body of work regarding Auburn specifically, and anyone who understands this sport or particularly this rivalry can see the room for improvement. The good news is that I'm pretty sure Saban is capable of making the needed changes -- provided he begins to view the rivalry in a different light.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
The Auburn series is being over scrutinized, not in terms of importance, but in the idea that Saban doesn't value the game like he should. Do people think he tries less or what? I'm not
happy with the last two IB losses, but I don't get this idea that Saban doesn't care or prepare.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
OMG… We lost! it happens. Is Ms Saban right? Based on what I am hearing and reading, yes and no. For me, I love Alabama and sincerely appreciate everything CNS has done for us.
So, IMO no, she is not right. But for those fans who call themselves BAMA fans and are calling out players, coaches, etc and threatening the live of a 22 year old kid (CF). Please, get a life/ GROW UP…. It is these morons that will drive CNS and his family into an early retirement.

Condor 63

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2003
Birmingham, AL
home.bham.rr.com
If people in Alabama really loved football and lived for it as much as they say they do in May there wouldn't be any empty seats in September regardless of who Bama plays, if the game is on TV or what the weather or score is. IMO don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk. I think Miss Terry was mostly referring to the empty seats as that was right about the time Coach made his comments about them.

Half empty stadiums are no good for recruiting and the team needs that support. I could maybe make an argument that a half-empty stadium on Senior Day might have played into how flat the team looked yesterday. We didn't send them off with a rousing effort of putting our butts in the seats and a hearty RTR, that much is for sure.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Please, get a life/ GROW UP…. It is these morons that will drive CNS and his family into an early retirement.
If that is true , then its over ... you can't control or even hope to control "these morons". I'll go as far as to say, if you (anyone) are predicating your satisfaction on the ability to control what people think and say under a set of conditions, you are predicting your future state of mind and foreshadowing your future intentions.

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
I am sorry Mrs. Saban and all of you other fair weather fans!!!!

I REMEMBER 1955

I cherish every VICTORY - no matter the other team. I hate the fact the we LOST to the barn!!!!!

Garland Dennis
gator

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
If people in Alabama really loved football and lived for it as much as they say they do in May there wouldn't be any empty seats in September regardless of who Bama plays, if the game is on TV or what the weather or score is. IMO don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk. I think Miss Terry was mostly referring to the empty seats as that was right about the time Coach made his comments about them.

Half empty stadiums are no good for recruiting and the team needs that support. I could maybe make an argument that a half-empty stadium on Senior Day might have played into how flat the team looked yesterday. We didn't send them off with a rousing effort of putting our butts in the seats and a hearty RTR, that much is for sure.
I understand their frustration there but frankly I'm surprised attendance at Alabama games has remained as high as it has -- and that has nothing to do with Alabama or the Sabans. Attendance at outdoor sporting events is reeling nationwide. I wish I had the link to the story that Yahoo ran about 2 months ago on it. Basically, the gist of the story was that younger people aren't interested because they'd rather be in front of a big screen with multiple games/channels, better weather and the ability to get on Twitter, Facebook, etc. The part I found funniest was when a bunch of respondents said the 4G issue was actually the most important and if stadiums could ensure the ability to get on, they'd show up. If it were me, I'd stick so many antennas on Bryant-Denny that it would look like a Washington County 16-year-old's jacked-up Toyota hunting truck. You'd get 4G, CB, HAM, the police scanner, NASA, SiriusXM and pictures from every baby monitor within a four-block radius, all loud and clear.

The unfortunate part about going to Alabama games is, in order to pay the coaches' salary and keep up with other programs, attendance is tied to affluence. Family of four going to every home game breaks down to this, roughly:

1) Tickets/Tide Pride: About $2500 (average)
2) Parking a reasonable distance from the stadium: $200/year
3) Food ($8 entree, $6 Coke, per person per game = $56 x 7 games = $392, 2 cokes a game makes it $560)
4) Some kind of souvenir for the kids (assume 1 for each child, per year): $60
5) Gasoline: $350

Total: $3,670 per year. For a middle-class family making $60,000/year in Alabama, that's 6.2 percent of total gross income for football games. And the numbers go up if you tailgate, or go to a restaurant before/after, or stay in a hotel room. If you have to add hotel room costs to this it really goes up.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
A 4-3 record against Auburn is not good enough. The measurement in that series for "good enough" starts at about 65-70 percent. Starts.

As for what Terry Saban said, I've already touched on that. When you start telling other people how they should feel about you, you're going beyond what's either doable or even proper. That echoes the Franchione situation. I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she was quoted out of context, but at the point that article was written -- i.e., before this loss to Auburn -- Alabama had compensated the Sabans extremely well for their work here, and I don't know the first person who was unappreciative of the hard work or the hardware.

She had no idea how the Auburn game was going to turn out, so the result of the game has no bearing on what she said a month earlier, unless she's Miss Cleo. Even after this Auburn loss, people are appreciative of what's been done the last seven years, but they have concerns with how this particular series has been handled. If you expect people to blindly support any coach, no matter how good they are, you've got the wrong program. There's now a seven-year body of work regarding Auburn specifically, and anyone who understands this sport or particularly this rivalry can see the room for improvement. The good news is that I'm pretty sure Saban is capable of making the needed changes -- provided he begins to view the rivalry in a different light.
I keep finding myself either disagreeing or not understanding what you are saying about Coach Saban and Terry in a lot of different threads. I am willing to try, so can you please tell me what "the needed changes" are?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.