Question: So, how do you feel about a 4 team playoff now?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The one thing that I have confidence in right now is that they will have to release a ranking next week. Let's say Alabama is #4. Then Ole Miss and MSU lose. We'd probably move up to #2. If they then drop us to #5 after the conference championships behind 2-loss Oklahoma and 1-loss Notre Dame (or whatever), it will essentially invalidate their in-season rankings. Even non-Alabama fans will say after week 8 next year, "Who cares about the rankings - they will just put their top 4 in at the end of the year anyway."

Is there a process in place to replace a member? Or, will Archie's "position" just remain vacant?
Remain vacant. Committee will be 12 members this year. He will rejoin the committee next year..

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I agree, they change their criteria based what is happening in the SEC. They should have started with an 8 team playoff. Power 5 Champs, plus ND (they can't be left out) and 2 at large teams.
I'll bet that it will be an 8 - team playoff next year!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It makes no sense to focus on the OOC games for a SOS rating. This isn't college basketball, with 15 OOC games every year. Teams only play 3 or 4 OOC games. The bulk of the schedule for every team is conference games. SOS should be determined on a team by team basis.

I don't understand why, when it comes to this stuff, we must throw our brains out of our skulls and ignore logic. This is going to be maddeningly frustrating, and I can't help but wonder if they have set it up to fail from the get go.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
It makes no sense to focus on the OOC games for a SOS rating. This isn't college basketball, with 15 OOC games every year. Teams only play 3 or 4 OOC games. The bulk of the schedule for every team is conference games. SOS should be determined on a team by team basis.

I don't understand why, when it comes to this stuff, we must throw our brains out of our skulls and ignore logic. This is going to be maddeningly frustrating, and I can't help but wonder if they have set it up to fail from the get go.
I have zero faith in this system. It will be rigged like a pro wrestling match

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The old BCS formula to pick the top four teams would have been so much better. This committee is secretive, political, non-accountable, and agenda driven. (and so small that a small bias group can get their way).

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I still favor the old BCS system over what we have now. It took bias out of the equation by incorporating a computer component in the process and did a good job of pitting #1 vs #2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
FoxSports.com released their "Fox Four" this past weekend and they are including Oregon in their four with Bama sitting on the outside.

Here's part of their reasoning: "The committee doesn’t ignore Oregon’s home loss to Arizona earlier in the season, but it does consider the Ducks were without tackle Jake Fisher and have been a totally different team with him back in the lineup."

Interesting they go to the point of mentioning an injury as part of the reason they look at Oregon's loss differently but fail to take into account the loss of Ryan Kelly against Ole Miss.

I'm not lost on how losing a left tackle could have an influence on Oregon—especially protecting the blind side. I'm also very well aware that of the 18 sacks Oregon has allowed this season only one came in their loss.​

Editor note: Plagiarized from another board. :smile:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Like many of you on here, I have felt from day one this was going to be a mess. I was/am a proponent of using the BCS formula because I truly beleive it came as close as possible to selecting the 2 best teams. Obviously the powers that be saw it differently and we have to live with it.
My next point is...I don't think it is wise or any better to say let's have a 8-team playoff with all 5 power conference champs and 3 at-large. Reason - You are not going to get the best 8 teams in the country. Think to last year...what if Duke had pulled the big upset and beat f$u in the ACCCG? What if a 2-3 loss SEC East champ were to upend an undefeated SEC West champ in the SECCG?
I get the point of the whole thing...Let's make sure every conference is represented, but that conflicts with the entire purpose of having the best teams in IMO.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Like many of you on here, I have felt from day one this was going to be a mess. I was/am a proponent of using the BCS formula because I truly beleive it came as close as possible to selecting the 2 best teams. Obviously the powers that be saw it differently and we have to live with it.
My next point is...I don't think it is wise or any better to say let's have a 8-team playoff with all 5 power conference champs and 3 at-large. Reason - You are not going to get the best 8 teams in the country. Think to last year...what if Duke had pulled the big upset and beat f$u in the ACCCG? What if a 2-3 loss SEC East champ were to upend an undefeated SEC West champ in the SECCG?
I get the point of the whole thing...Let's make sure every conference is represented, but that conflicts with the entire purpose of having the best teams in IMO.
I hear what you're saying, and in a perfect world, I agree with it. But it's not a perfect world. The way things are looking right now with Fox's projections and several morons' projections (Gilmore, Kanell, etc), it may end up being 4 power conference champs anyway, with no at large at all, leaving out the worst pc champ and several more deserving (ie better) teams. At least with 8 teams, yes you end up including a Duke or Georgia every now and then, but you also include an Ole Miss, an Alabama, and an Auburn (or maybe a Marshall instead of the barners).

Seems like a reasonable compromise in an imperfect world.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
:rolleyes: The PTB did not want the BCS system. The PTB KNEW that the BCS system was better. The PTB did not want better! End of story!
And Alabama wouldn't be in under the BCS anyway - so why is everyone only pointing the guns in one direction.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I hear what you're saying, and in a perfect world, I agree with it. But it's not a perfect world. The way things are looking right now with Fox's projections and several morons' projections (Gilmore, Kanell, etc), it may end up being 4 power conference champs anyway, with no at large at all, leaving out the worst pc champ and several more deserving (ie better) teams. At least with 8 teams, yes you end up including a Duke or Georgia every now and then, but you also include an Ole Miss, an Alabama, and an Auburn (or maybe a Marshall instead of the barners).

Seems like a reasonable compromise in an imperfect world.
It is definatley a compromise, but a very flawed one.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
And Alabama wouldn't be in under the BCS anyway - so why is everyone only pointing the guns in one direction.
Where did I say anything about Alabama being in? I don't want Alabama being in unless they are the PTB's required CC. Alabama is already the reason there are 4 teams in this stupidity. Sure don't want them being the reason to go to 8.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Pat Dye, amid his rumbling and stuttering, made a decent point a couple days ago. He said that this year it's really possible for a a couple of very good teams from the south to get left out of the four team playoff and at least with an eight team playoff, there's still room to include conference champs and get the next best 3.

For instance if we beat State and State beats Ole Miss and those teams win the rest of their games we all finish with just one loss and whoever gets the tiebreak will go play in the SECCG. No doubt the winner is in the 4TP, but the other two one loss west teams, who are probably ranked somewhere around the top 5 in the polls will probably be sitting at home.

This is why the 8TP is probably in the near future.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The way it stands now, the so-called committee has the SEC and ACC champs in. Two more spots to be decided between the champs of the Big 12, PAC 12, B1G, and Nutter Dumber. All of which could only have 1 loss. Which leaves 2 of them out, and their fans will caterwaul. Not to mention how upset we will be, if we also finish with only 1 loss. IOW, we are only in if we win the SEC.

Maybe another year or two of that, and it will grow to 8 teams. Mainly because of the money. As much as everyone hates the SEC dominance, I bet the ratings are higher when an SEC team is in the final. As opposed to say...............ACC vs PAC 12.

Look at the bright side: the football gods usually find a way to smile upon us, some day in November, and forgive us of our one "sin". We better pray they do this year, because the "committee" sure won't. Their raison d'etre is to make sure that doesn't happen. They will need to be forced into accepting us. (Thank you, Mike Slive.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.