Question: So, how do you feel about a 4 team playoff now?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
IMO this situation is a perfect example of why a playoff is a horrible idea.

Part of what makes CFB so great is that the vast majority of the time a loss like this ends the year and you have to wait 365 days for another shot. Don't get me wrong, if the miraculous happens (again) ;) and we get another shot at Aubie I'll be thrilled. I just hate the idea that the loser if this game could ever just shrug their shoulders and say oh well, we'll see you in a month anyway. It's supposed to hurt as bad as this does when you lose so the wins will feel so exhilarating. JMHO
IMO, that is what the playoff will hopefully eliminate.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
IMO, that is what the playoff will hopefully eliminate.
Why? It's what makes CFB so different. If you eliminate the damaging consequences of a loss, it isn't too hard to envision a scenario where one of the contenders is resting the starters in a rivalry game a la NFL teams late in the year. If the Coach didn't rest the starters, we'd be on him for getting the QB hurt in a "meaningless" game at the end of the year.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
An 8 team playoff would reward those teams that have played a more difficult schedule and have improved over the course of the season. I liked the days before the BCS myself. I think the playoff will favor Alabama more times than not.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
2012 Week 15 BCS Standings

Rank Team
1 Notre Dame
2 Alabama
3 Florida
4 Oregon
5 Kansas State
6 Stanford
7 Georgia
8 LSU
9 Texas A&M
How was LSU deserving of a championship playoff when they lost twice, once when they didn't score a TD?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The other issue that needs to be ironed out is every conference that is participating in the playoff either have a conference championship game or none of the conferences have one. It should be uniform across all conference so a team isn't punished by having to play an extra game before the playoff, and not just punished by maybe losing by also by the physical tole of playing another game and the risk of injury.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I still dislike it, and on a fundamental level. I think it cheapens the whole the whole process. Imagine if the game against Auburn didn't matter that much, if Alabama goes into that game knowing they could lose and still contend for a title? It in the least weakens the perception that each and every game is crucial to winning a title. I do feel like titles just won't be as special once we have a playoff, because it won't represent the same level of season long excellence.

In relation to Alabama and this year, as it stands they would almost certainly not be in a four team playoff. Their SoS isn't high enough to overcome the fact that they didn't win the conference. It's nice to pretend that those both are not playoff criteria, but they are, and they will absolutely count. It is not just who ever is in the top 4 of the AP poll and they did that deliberately, to help prevent the same conference from sending two teams. Yes, there are scenarios that this Alabama team would get into a four team playoff, but it's far from certain at this point in time. Would I like the playoff to go ahead and start this year? Sure, why not, it's going to happen next year like it or not, I care about Alabama first and foremost, but I still fundamentally dislike the playoff and see it as harmful.

Finally, we can't take the short view of the impact of a playoff, we have to take the long view. If the past three championship Alabama teams played in a playoff, it's all but certain one wouldn't have won a title, so essentially what we're hoping for here is a scenario in which Alabama wins 3 titles and well, they already did that. Do we really think G-Mac with broken ribs could have played in back to back weeks against top level competition? If not, AJ has to burn a red-shirt and isn't even available this year, to just give one example of the implications of that extra game.

I think the playoff is bad for college football, and I felt that way back before Alabama had one BCS title. They won three, and the system seemed to work quite well in terms of rewarding truly deserving teams.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
2012 Week 15 BCS Standings

Rank Team
1 Notre Dame
2 Alabama
3 Florida
4 Oregon
5 Kansas State
6 Stanford
7 Georgia
8 LSU
9 Texas A&M
BCS ranking will not matter anymore. with the selection committee all that goes away. There would not be 4 sec teams in a 8 team playoff at all so forget that dream. Louisville and Northern Illinois would have been in because of idiotic love of the underdog.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I still dislike it, and on a fundamental level. I think it cheapens the whole the whole process. Imagine if the game against Auburn didn't matter that much, if Alabama goes into that game knowing they could lose and still contend for a title? It in the least weakens the perception that each and every game is crucial to winning a title. I do feel like titles just won't be as special once we have a playoff, because it won't represent the same level of season long excellence.

In relation to Alabama and this year, as it stands they would almost certainly not be in a four team playoff. Their SoS isn't high enough to overcome the fact that they didn't win the conference. It's nice to pretend that those both are not playoff criteria, but they are, and they will absolutely count. It is not just who ever is in the top 4 of the AP poll and they did that deliberately, to help prevent the same conference from sending two teams. Yes, there are scenarios that this Alabama team would get into a four team playoff, but it's far from certain at this point in time. Would I like the playoff to go ahead and start this year? Sure, why not, it's going to happen next year like it or not, I care about Alabama first and foremost, but I still fundamentally dislike the playoff and see it as harmful.

Finally, we can't take the short view of the impact of a playoff, we have to take the long view. If the past three championship Alabama teams played in a playoff, it's all but certain one wouldn't have won a title, so essentially what we're hoping for here is a scenario in which Alabama wins 3 titles and well, they already did that. Do we really think G-Mac with broken ribs could have played in back to back weeks against top level competition? If not, AJ has to burn a red-shirt and isn't even available this year, to just give one example of the implications of that extra game.

I think the playoff is bad for college football, and I felt that way back before Alabama has one BCS title. They won three, and the system seemed to work quite well in terms of rewarding truly deserving teams.
I quoted this because it's worth reading twice and I agree with every word.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
Only thing I'm against is the selection committee..If the play-off was based off the BCScomputer rankings..I would be 100% behind it..
I agree. The 4 team playoff concept does not make games meaningless. In all likelihood, 1 loss might not get you in and 2 would more than likely guarantee you watch it on T.V. However, inject the human factor and you have biases, arguments, politicking, and corruption. On certain years you might actually have to go undefeated to make the "4".

Media should not get a vote, period. Heck, they can't even present a non-biased view on T.V., how can they be trusted to exercise ethics in the ballot box. Watch ESPN and the agenda they push. Case in point, the regurgitation of a 1 year old contact between Saban's agent and Texas during LSU week. There is nothing wrong with presenting your opinion, but when they start making their own news, I take offense to that.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I think we would probably be in the four teams. They would look at the losses and Oklahoma State lost to WV and Baylor lost pretty badly to Oklahoma State.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I agree. The 4 team playoff concept does not make games meaningless. In all likelihood, 1 loss might not get you in and 2 would more than likely guarantee you watch it on T.V. However, inject the human factor and you have biases, arguments, politicking, and corruption. On certain years you might actually have to go undefeated to make the "4".

Media should not get a vote, period. Heck, they can't even present a non-biased view on T.V., how can they be trusted to exercise ethics in the ballot box. Watch ESPN and the agenda they push. Case in point, the regurgitation of a 1 year old contact between Saban's agent and Texas during LSU week. There is nothing wrong with presenting your opinion, but when they start making their own news, I take offense to that.
They have been in it for years - AP

mgebama

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 20, 2005
Would have been a great playoff in 2012 with 8 teams. Remember too if OSU is not on probation, then OSU vs ND is the NC game. Several teams in this group could have beaten either as Bama did ND.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
They have been in it for years - AP
Fully aware of it because it has been a mess for years. Time to end the controversy of opinion injected rankings. Set the criteria for the formula. It is what is then. There is no room for "I feel" in it. "I feel" got the Irish their 1966 ring. Whether it has benefited Bama in the past or not, get the journalism majors out of it. If people insist on the human factor being involved, keep the coaches (although I have my own questions on the ethics of some).

A computer formula based system is the only way to ensure that the "Good Ole Boy" system doesn't take place. It guarantees that, based on preselected criteria, that the four best make it. Not the 4 biggest fan bases, the team with the coolest most modern video game offense, or team from the Midwest, South, West Coast, etc.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.