Question: So, how do you feel about a 4 team playoff now?

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
We have no idea what teams the committee would have picked. So.....

That is exactly right. That is what scares me so much. There are just enough Bama haters out there that could somehow manipulate the votes.
Considering the panel, I think the SEC is represented pretty well, but I think having a 13 person committee for this is just absurd. 1 single harris poll will have less bias than this. It is like society is regressing. No one took Stats in college at all.
In case you haven't figured it out...I'm opposed to the committee. :biggrin2: Don't mind the 4 team playoff, especially if we have 3 undefeated teams. 13 person jury is stupid when there are better alternatives.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I dont know who are all the committee members. But I think I can honestly say that Tom Osborne and Archie Manning will regret ever getting involved with this. This has a real opportunity of blowing up in their faces.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
This is who would have been in the playoffs over the years. Wonder how we would have fared last year and in 2008?
That's assuming though that they actually select the top 4 teams each year, and that also assumes that they will allow two teams from one conference in. We'll have to see if that transpires, but if they were going to base the teams simply based off of rankings I don't think they would need a committee of 15 people to do it. If that were the case you can keep the rankings as is and just expand the games. Mark it down, there will be more human control in the matter than in previous years.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I thought the posted image was interesting and, while no one can say it's exactly 100% correct, I think it's safe to assume that it's 75%+ correct. Those actually look like a bunch of great match ups to me and I'm excited to see how it shakes out this year.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I once read someone who wrote that the point of the NFL playoffs wasn't to be "the best team" but instead to win the playoffs. I can live with that in the NFL as there is a remarkable amount of parity. But in college football - this is going to be a bitter pill to swallow.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I thought the posted image was interesting and, while no one can say it's exactly 100% correct, I think it's safe to assume that it's 75%+ correct. Those actually look like a bunch of great match ups to me and I'm excited to see how it shakes out this year.
Those rankings are the Top 4 in the Final regular season BCS rankings and the image is 100% correct using those rankings. If the committee had been in existence those years, I suspect the image would be 100% incorrect.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
where did you come up with that?

I am sorry but no team that lost to Louisiana Tech should ever make a playoff (Us in 99?)
Yeah something like that worries me. Say fsu loses to a bad acc team mid season but we lose to a 1 loss georgia team in Atlanta and you have an undefeated Michigan state and Oregon with fsu taking the Acc who gets in between us and fsu with us having the only legit loss

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
where did you come up with that?

I am sorry but no team that lost to Louisiana Tech should ever make a playoff (Us in 99?)
They were 8-3 and got some Top 25 votes.

Should they have beaten us? No.

But is that REALLY worse than:

a) 2001 Nebraska getting shelled, 62-36, by twice beaten Colorado?
b) 2003 Oklahoma getting sandblasted, 35-7, by the same K-State team that lost to Marshall?
c) 2011 Okie State losing to Iowa State

Keep in mind that while the La Tech loss was humiliating, we DID play BY FAR the toughest schedule in the nation that year. Yes, we lost to them, but then we beat Florida in the Swamp, where they had not lost in five years and then drilled them later. Go look at the games we played AFTER La Tech. The teams we beat had a combined record of 80-40 (a .667 winning pct) and went to eight bowl games, winning five. The only "breathers" we had after La Tech were against 3-8 LSU and 5-6 Auburn. Those were our EASY games after LT.

Also - if the whole purpose is to avoid "injustices," how in the world does Texas get in over Utah in 2004? And once you've done that, how in the world can Florida NOT make it over TCU or Cincinnati in 2009?

AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO WIN YOUR CONFERENCE???????????

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah something like that worries me. Say fsu loses to a bad acc team mid season but we lose to a 1 loss georgia team in Atlanta and you have an undefeated Michigan state and Oregon with fsu taking the Acc who gets in between us and fsu with us having the only legit loss
I realize you're speaking theoretically but that can't possibly happen this year since Mich St and Oregon play each other.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Those rankings are the Top 4 in the Final regular season BCS rankings and the image is 100% correct using those rankings. If the committee had been in existence those years, I suspect the image would be 100% incorrect.
100% incorrect? Nothing would be right?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I dont know who are all the committee members. But I think I can honestly say that Tom Osborne and Archie Manning will regret ever getting involved with this. This has a real opportunity of blowing up in their faces.
They are:

Jeff Long - Arkansas AD
Barry Alvarez - former Wisconsin head coach (think he's the AD there now)
Michael Gould (a 3-star general in the USAF)
Pat Haden - USC AD
Tom Jernstedt - former Oregon athlete who worked for NCAA for 38 years
Oliver Luck - WVA AD and former NFL backup QB with Oilers (Andrew's dad)
Archie Manning
Tom Osborne
Dan Radakovich - Clemson AD
Condolezza Rice - former Sec of State (Stanford/Bama girl)
Mike Tranghese - former Big East comish
Steve Wieberg - a Mizzou based journalist who wrote for USA Today for 30 years
Ty Willingham - former Stanford/UW/Notre Dame mediocre head coach, Mich St grad

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I realize you're speaking theoretically but that can't possibly happen this year since Mich St and Oregon play each other.
Yeah forgot about that, but it's one thing that worries me.
Also as much as the nation points out our strength of schedule I think it may bite us even though it's bogus. And don't forget the playoffs were made in the wake of the "injustice" that the nation was given in 2011 but the SEC's injustices done upon them in 03 and 04 fell on deaf ears by the nation.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
It would take only one of the four in each year to be different to make the image 100% incorrect. The only way any year would be correct would be if all 4 are conference champions. I did not look at it that closely.
I think AntiAgentOrange's point when he said 75+% was that three of the four teams each year would still make it in the committee era - not that three out of four years, the committee would have agreed with the top 4 in the BCS.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.