Question: So, how do you feel about a 4 team playoff now?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How is it not?

All they're doing is adding an extra game at the end. Formula is changing that's all.
It's exactly what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus-One_system

But the BCS was better. In RARE cases you might have a third place team that could legitimately be 'the best', but I cannot recall a 4th place team ever having a legitimate argument for being the best. It would require four undefeated teams from the major conference - I don't think that's ever happened.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's exactly what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus-One_system

But the BCS was better. In RARE cases you might have a third place team that could legitimately be 'the best', but I cannot recall a 4th place team ever having a legitimate argument for being the best. It would require four undefeated teams from the major conference - I don't think that's ever happened.
You had four legitimate claims in 2000:

Miami beat Florida State (barely)
Washington beat Miami (relatively easily, score a tad deceptive)
Washington lost to two-loss Oregon (in the best conference in the land that year, it ain't like Oregon was lousy)

And Oklahoma, who was unbeaten.

And it also depends on how much "credit" we want to give Utah in 2004 or the cluster of unbeatens in 2009.

In general terms I agree with you, but I think it's better to have no injustice at all than the old "well, we think Alabama with one loss is better than Oregon with one loss, even though both lost at home by the same margin to top ten teams." One can hardly say a two-loss number four who beats two unbeaten foes in the final two games (or two one-loss foes at worse) is "unworthy" as a champion.

Of course, my solution was simply to keep the BCS and make it four teams. The new setup makes every single ranking including number one completely meaningless all the time.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It would take only one of the four in each year to be different to make the image 100% incorrect. The only way any year would be correct would be if all 4 are conference champions. I did not look at it that closely.
The final four doesn't all have to be conference champions. Most likely 3 of them will be and probably one at large but I don't think its a requirement to make the final four. We would have definitely made the final four in 2011 even though we were not conference champs that year. I know that circumstance was unusual but something similar to that seems to happen almost every year.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We will never see 2 SEC teams in it though.
I suspect that within four years, maximum, we'll see two SEC teams in it. Regardless of what you might think about bias, there's zero question that the SEC is the big daddy in CFB right now, and there's currently no one who can knock the SEC out of that position.

Unless the committee is willing to take serious heat for leaving a one-loss SEC team out, I'd not be surprised to see two of them in the first two years. That said, they will undoubtedly place them so they play each other first rather than risking a repeat of 2011.

Looking back over recent years, here are the year's ranking when two SEC teams were in the top four (last two weeks, depending on what you look at ranking-wise):
2013: Bama & barn; USC & barn
2012: Bama & UF; Bama
2011: Bama & LSU; Bama & LSU
2009: Bama: Bama & UF
2008: Bama & UF; UF

That's a LOT of SEC teams finishing in the top two after weeks 15 or 16 - that won't be easy to overlook by the playoff committee if they don't want to catch flack. While most conferences would love to see the SEC falter, the reality is they all know we collectively OWN CFB right now, and if you want to have a rightful claim to being the best, it's going to be through an SEC team.

Anything less would be hollow and everyone knows it, whether they'll admit it or not...

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I know all of us thinks the world hates us and the SEC, but I don't think that the committee is determined not to allow two SEC teams in.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Personally I had no problem with the BCS because we did get to see #1 vs #2 nearly every year. What other sports league (professional even) can claim this? That's what it was designed to do and in my mind, it succeeded. Once the SEC became very dominant a lot of fans started pushing for playoffs not realizing (or had their heads in the sand maybe) that the future is now set to have 1 or 2 SEC teams involved most seasons going forward. They're getting what they asked for. I can't wait to hear the rage.

Personally, I would love to have seen an 8 team playoff (and yeah I've called for it at times) but it's impractical from a student/athlete standpoint and hurts the sport as well. For College football, 13-14 games a season is plenty and in fact I wouldn't mind seeing that reduced by a game. If you have an 8 game playoff, the season will be shot. They want to add games to make more money? I think by adding a couple of playoff games, you make a couple of season games for each team somewhat irrelevant. Who will attend these playoff games? Probably not as many "fans" as people think. These games will be similar to mini-Super Bowls with people in attendance who are not really fans of the teams. The bowls will pretty much be shot too. Believe it or not, they are still a big deal to some of these smaller schools or big schools who haven't been relevant in some time. Personally, I think it's been fine the way it's been. Why change it? I know. $. That's it.

We should have told the teams like Boise St to get lost a long time ago. We respect you guys as a great mid-conference program but this is for the big boys. If you don't like it, pay for a seat at the table and take responsibility for all that comes with it. I can't help but feel in some ways these guys (and other programs like them), ESPN and the very casual college football fan are responsible for this mess. I do hope the 4 team playoff goes well for the sake of the sport but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Personally I had no problem with the BCS because we did get to see #1 vs #2 nearly every year.
Which has nothing to do with whether or not a BETTER WAY exists to determine a champion.

What other sports league (professional even) can claim this?
The World Cup?

One could argue that you can only have 1 vs 2 if you have poll rankings, which most sports do not have.

That's what it was designed to do and in my mind, it succeeded. Once the SEC became very dominant a lot of fans started pushing for playoffs not realizing (or had their heads in the sand maybe) that the future is now set to have 1 or 2 SEC teams involved most seasons going forward. They're getting what they asked for. I can't wait to hear the rage.
Well, a lot of fans have wanted a playoff of some sort going back 30 years or more. I don't even think it necessarily became more popular - what happened was that everyone with an opinion and a password can express it for millions to see.

Personally, I would love to have seen an 8 team playoff (and yeah I've called for it at times) but it's impractical from a student/athlete standpoint and hurts the sport as well.
If by "hurts the sport" you mean "makes the regular season mean less," I agree (and I don't think some folks have thought that one through). I'm sorry but while I disagree with the eight-team playoff, how in the world is it "impractical" for the student/athlete? In 1979, Alabama played eleven regular season games and won it all. Thirty years later, Alabama played FOURTEEN games and won it all.

How is it humanly possible that three extra games (which only TWO TEAMS) would have is somehow impractical for the student/athlete when we've gone from 11 to 13 or 14 games? Just last year, the following teams played fourteen games:

Florida State
Auburn
Stanford
Michigan State
Missouri
Arizona State
Ohio State
USC (west)
Duke
Northern Illinois
Marshall
Rice
Colorado State

So somehow thirty years ago, it was "impractical" for us to have a fourteen-game season for TWO teams and now we have a 14-game season for thirteen. I cannot understand logic like that. Oh, and let's add bowl games to the mix - going from 15 to 35 - and force another FORTY TEAMS to play an extra game, the first of which will began DURING FINAL EXAMS.

Again - I don't understand how in the world forty teams playing an extra game is more rational or endured by the student athlete than EIGHT teams playing one extra game, four playing two, and two playing three. If someone is against a playoff that's fine but cliched arguments like that particular one grate on me because I can't bring myself to believe that even the college folks with PhDs who argue this actually are dumb enough to believe their spin. (If they are, it's time to get them off campus and into an asylum).

Now - none of that is directed at you personally (as you're just noting the argument) but the bad arguments in favor of a position don't help it any more than the insane notion of the pro-four team playoff folks saying out of one side of their mouths "humans are biased" and out the other side "so we need a 'blue ribbon panel' of humans to make this decision."

For College football, 13-14 games a season is plenty and in fact I wouldn't mind seeing that reduced by a game.
I concur.

If you have an 8 game playoff, the season will be shot. They want to add games to make more money? I think by adding a couple of playoff games, you make a couple of season games for each team somewhat irrelevant. Who will attend these playoff games? Probably not as many "fans" as people think. These games will be similar to mini-Super Bowls with people in attendance who are not really fans of the teams.
I'm not sure about this. I can see the BCSNCG becoming this and fans having to go to the semi-final or whatever.

The bowls will pretty much be shot too.
The bowls have been a joke now for 25 years.

Believe it or not, they are still a big deal to some of these smaller schools or big schools who haven't been relevant in some time. Personally, I think it's been fine the way it's been. Why change it? I know. $. That's it.
Again - all true.

We should have told the teams like Boise St to get lost a long time ago. We respect you guys as a great mid-conference program but this is for the big boys. If you don't like it, pay for a seat at the table and take responsibility for all that comes with it. I can't help but feel in some ways these guys (and other programs like them), ESPN and the very casual college football fan are responsible for this mess. I do hope the 4 team playoff goes well for the sake of the sport but I'm not optimistic.
You said it well.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know all of us thinks the world hates us and the SEC, but I don't think that the committee is determined not to allow two SEC teams in.
One area of concern needs to be the highly esteemed Dr Tom Osborne. This is the same guy, mind you, who intentionally dropped his own conference mate Colorado from number ONE to number four in the final 1990 poll in a fit of petulant anger that hand delivered Ga Tech their UPI national championship. I realize Tom's team was the only one that played BOTH teams, but dropping CU to FOUR (not two or three, FOUR!) after the Buffs had knocked off Notre Dame and at a point in time it ensured CU would lose half the national title was just plain wrong. It was particularly egregious when this self-same Tom Osborne just a few weeks earlier had urged all the Big Eight coaches who had a vote to "stick together" (hold the rope anyone?).

Think about it: Tom Osborne DROPPED a team from NUMBER ONE after that team had beaten mighty Notre Dame. Why? Well probably because at that time Tom had not yet won a national title.

Is this really the kind of person who needs to be rational and coherent and making these decisions? I don't think so. Even if he's just one vote, he'll pull a Jesse Ventura by appealing to himself over and over ("Hey, I'm the only one here with head coaching experience and success against the SEC, I beat LSU in 1987").

Not good.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
No it's not, but it will be determined not to allow two teams in from any conference. That in itself will take care of the SEC.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Even if I am wrong about the two teams from one conference, you can take the following to the bank. There will NEVER, EVER be two teams from the same conference in the NCG. That is the ENTIRE reason the BCS is dead and the committee is alive.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Could not have said it better myself.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I realize what I say is kind of like a broken record, but I'll say it again

1. There will be personal bias from the Selection Committee against the SEC count on it.
2. The selection of the conference champions to the final 4 will trump the SEC runner up.
3. If all 5 major conference champions are undefeated and ranked 1-5, in all probability the ACC will probably be left out.
4. When #4 happens or sooner, the playoff will expand to 8 teams, which is probably better for college football and could offset some of the members' bias.
5. The playoff system, whether 4 or 8 teams, will kill the interest in the bowl games not included in the playoffs. As someone said earlier, the bowl games become exhibition games with all the excitement and pageantry associated with an exhibition game.
6. College football moves closer to the NFL model and will change college football as we knew it forever.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You had four legitimate claims in 2000:

Miami beat Florida State (barely)
Washington beat Miami (relatively easily, score a tad deceptive)
Washington lost to two-loss Oregon (in the best conference in the land that year, it ain't like Oregon was lousy)

And Oklahoma, who was unbeaten.
That looks like one legitimate claim to me. It's easy to get lost in determining number two, but a championship is never about #2. I've openly stated that it even the BCS wasn't always fair, in that it would sometimes match-up a team that executed the regular season flawlessly, with a team that hadn't. The defense, in my mind though is that the #1 team is like having the belt in boxing, and being #2 makes you the top contender. You beat the champ, you are the champ, but that in no way means that the #2 contender, and #3 contender have any legitimate claim at a title. It was the only scenario that practically guaranteed that the most deserving team was in the championship game. Oklahoma won that year, and the #2 team in the AP had two less wins, and one more loss. No other legitimate claims...

And it also depends on how much "credit" we want to give Utah in 2004 or the cluster of unbeatens in 2009.
None :), and in 2009 Florida demolished Cincinnati, and TCU got beat by a team that wasn't even in the top 4. So, I'd say none again. I think we all know that if we wanted the top two teams to play in the BCS, Alabama and Florida would have had to have a rematch. I don't think it was possible to watch TCU or Cincinnati play and think you were actually watching the best team in college football, certainly not during their bowl games. Also, neither Utah (2004, 2008), nor BSU (2009) were in the top 4, and are largely irrelevant to this discussion, unless of course we think that the committee really will go down the list and pass over the 4th and 5th team in favor of a cupcake conference school.

I think there is a distinction though, between crimsonaudio's point, which is that "I cannot recall a 4th place team ever having a legitimate argument for being the best", and your point which seems to be that sometimes #4 could really be #2 (which I agree with, but I don't see a single instance in which #4 in the BCS should have been #1). I think that's irrelevant though, since being a champion isn't about being #2. This will all end though, the era of being able to say the #4 team is clearly not on par with the champion is behind us.

I don't mean to argue with you, your knowledge is second to none, I think I just have a slightly different perspective.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That looks like one legitimate claim to me. It's easy to get lost in determining number two, but a championship is never about #2. I've openly stated that it even the BCS wasn't always fair, in that it would sometimes match-up a team that executed the regular season flawlessly, with a team that hadn't. The defense, in my mind though is that the #1 team is like having the belt in boxing, and being #2 makes you the top contender.
I understand (and have known awhile) that this is your position - but there's simply no reason to hold it. (I'm referring to the circular argument that #1 is all it's about).

"We will arbitrarily decide before the season that Team X is number one. Team X begins with a TRIPLE advantage: a) if they go unbeaten, they're in; b) their loss doesn't count as much as anyone else's (insert Alabama and Oregon losses in 2012 here); c) if they lose early, it hurts them less."

I understand that's your position (in a nutshell), but I don't see any reason to hold it.

You beat the champ, you are the champ, but that in no way means that the #2 contender, and #3 contender have any legitimate claim at a title. It was the only scenario that practically guaranteed that the most deserving team was in the championship game. Oklahoma won that year, and the #2 team in the AP had two less wins, and one more loss. No other legitimate claims...
But again, this is a circular argument that there's no reason to accept. In essence, we're saying this:

Oklahoma beat Florida State head-to-head, therefore, it counts

Miami beat Florida State head-to-head, but it DOES NOT count

Washington beat Miami head-to-head, but it DOES NOT count

There is simply no rational reason for subscribing to that argument.

I would have LESS PROBLEM with your number one starting argument if and only if the rankings carried over into the next season (e.g. Alabama was number one to end 2012, so they start at #1 in 2013 - not because we think they're the best but because nobody beat them during the off-season). Of course, if we followed what you're saying here, then consider the insanity:

1) Auburn starts 2011 as number one (remember - they should have lost to Utah St, speaking of absurd)
2) Auburn then loses to unbeaten Clemson, so now Clemson is number one.
3) Clemson loses to Ga Tech, but Tech already has two losses but now they're number one
4) Va Tech beats Ga Tech, but they already lost to Clemson, who lost to Ga Tech

At some point we do get the subjectivity. I don't really mind the subjectivity, but there's simply no reason to say, "Okay Miami and Washington, YOUR LOSSES COUNT but Florida State's does not!!!"

Granted - that was under "the old BCS" before they changed the formula, so I doubt that could happen. And I actually agree with you IN LARGE PART on the subjectivity (e.g. the eyeball test) being okay in determination. In fact, you and I probably agree on about 90% of the way this ought to be.

But I don't think it's right to say that Miami's loss to Washington in week two hurts them worse than FSU's loss in October hurts thejm.

None :), and in 2009 Florida demolished Cincinnati,
But you can't use the result of a game that hasn't even been played to make the decision, either :)

I think ALL of us thought Florida was a solid number two that year, and that's where the four-team playoff thing sort of takes a ride.

and TCU got beat by a team that wasn't even in the top 4.
But you're arguing in circles again and assuming the legitimacy of the ranking. Again - you can't use a game that has not even been played to determine the teams that will make the playoff.

So, I'd say none again. I think we all know that if we wanted the top two teams to play in the BCS, Alabama and Florida would have had to have a rematch. I don't think it was possible to watch TCU or Cincinnati play and think you were actually watching the best team in college football, certainly not during their bowl games.
It's not that I disagree with you, but:
a) who thought Boise St could beat OU?
b) who thought Utah could beat Alabama?
c) who thought Louisville could beat Florida?
d) who thought UCF could beat Baylor?

And going back a bit - NOBODY gave Alabama a chance to beat Miami in 1993 outside of Corky Simpson and the state of Alabama. The 1992 Tide was bland and boring, and while SEC champs, folks were making the EXACT SAME ARGUMENTS you're making here against other teams ("Alabama only beat little ole La Tech by 13 points, and it was 6-0 in the fourth qtr, they only led Tulane 6-0 at the half, they were tied with 5-6 Auburn at the half, Florida State was much more impressive").

Also, neither Utah (2004, 2008), nor BSU (2009) were in the top 4,
But again, you're arguing in circles here and assuming the legitimacy of the ranking. In short, you're saying "this team is number X simply because we think it is number X and therefore it doesn't matter that they have the same record as team Y that we rated below them even after Team Y beat them."

This is less of a problem with number four but it gets to be a big one for two and three.

Let me state again: the BCS WAS FAR BETTER than things like the following:

1) 1983 - Nebraska can't play Texas (only 2 unbeatens) so Miami wins the title
2) 1989 - Notre Dame beats Colorado so....Miami wins the title
3) 1990 - Ga Tech and Colorado can't play so.....they split it
4) 1991 - Washington and Miami can't play so....they split it.
5) 1994 - Nebraska and Penn State can't play so....to hell with Penn State, Nebraska is the champ
6) 1996 - Arizona State and Florida State can't play so......Florida is the champ (but why does their loss to FSU count less than Ohio State's loss to Michigan?)
7) 1997 - Nebraska and Michigan can't play so......they split it

So the BCS was better in that sense.

Furthermore, I'll even throw in with you on this one - the only times I can think of that the BCS got the wrong matchup - egregiously wrong - were 2001 and 2003. The other debatable matchups (2000, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008) were at least minimally defensible on various grounds (e.g. it's not like Washington-Miami-FSU in 2000 were so superior to one another that the wrong team got picked).

And I'll even be charitable and say that the 2001 fiasco had more to do with 9/11 than anything else. Oregon and (I believe) Fresno State had a game scheduled 9/16. Because neither team had an open week before the season ended, the game was cancelled. If Fresno had won then Colorado's SOS would have boosted enough to put them in as a two-loss team against Miami while if Oregon had won, the Ducks would have played.

The one truly insane matchup was putting the OU team that got drilled, 35-7 by K-State, in against LSU. That was a farce so bad the BCS changed its formula (but too late to settle the never to be played USC-LSU game).

So ON THE WHOLE the BCS was, in fact, right. I don't dispute this, and it's why I oppose anything beyond a top four of the BCS. As I've said multiple times: the BCS was never as good as its spin doctors said and never as bad as Tim Brando wanted to pretend.

and are largely irrelevant to this discussion, unless of course we think that the committee really will go down the list and pass over the 4th and 5th team in favor of a cupcake conference school.

I think there is a distinction though, between crimsonaudio's point, which is that "I cannot recall a 4th place team ever having a legitimate argument for being the best", and your point which seems to be that sometimes #4 could really be #2 (which I agree with, but I don't see a single instance in which #4 in the BCS should have been #1). I think that's irrelevant though, since being a champion isn't about being #2. This will all end though, the era of being able to say the #4 team is clearly not on par with the champion is behind us.

I don't mean to argue with you, your knowledge is second to none, I think I just have a slightly different perspective.
I think I'm done at this point. You and I agree on what we want - a relevant, meaningful college regular season capped with a deserving and undisputed champion. Heck, I even agree with you on keeping the BCS but simply expanding it. All the years of complaint always had to do with teams in the top four (except that lone "we believe in Boise" crap from ESPN in 2010).

But you and I both oppose this interloping of a committee.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do agree with those who have said keep the former BCS selection process to determine the 4 finalists, this makes the most sense. IMO, the selection committee is doomed from its beginning due to severe criticism from bias and biased alliances which will eventually force the playoffs to 8 teams.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I do agree with those who have said keep the former BCS selection process to determine the 4 finalists, this makes the most sense. IMO, the selection committee is doomed from its beginning due to severe criticism from bias and biased alliances which will eventually force the playoffs to 8 teams.
This is what the money grabbers want. They couldn't care less about the student athlete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.