Question: So, how do you feel about a 4 team playoff now?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think the four-team playoff is just fine and advocated it.

What I DON'T advocate is what is put in there to prevent us from advancing - the selection committee. I was ALL FOR the top four BCS playoff, that would have been so easy.

But NOOOOO. Funny how the same talking heads who insist that we needed a playoff to settle things because voting was a joke by the coaches and writers have now put the voting in the hands of 16 creative goofs.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I like it as long as it stays at 4. The reason I don't want to go to a 4 team playoff is because within 3-5 years they will expand it to 6-8 teams which will devalue the regular season and there will be to many teams.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm still against it - not because a four team playoff won't be better, but as I've argued over and over (and as CF mentioned above) - it's just a matter of time before an 8th ranked team (or lower) gets a shot.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I think the four-team playoff is just fine and advocated it.

What I DON'T advocate is what is put in there to prevent us from advancing - the selection committee. I was ALL FOR the top four BCS playoff, that would have been so easy.

But NOOOOO. Funny how the same talking heads who insist that we needed a playoff to settle things because voting was a joke by the coaches and writers have now put the voting in the hands of 16 creative goofs.
IMO, if the season ended as is today, I am fairly sure they would select us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have supported it as an improvement from the beginning for the SEC. The SEC is the conference least likely to produce an undefeated conference champion, so it benefits most. Unless the SEC has a horrible season, it will get at least one team into this playoff for the foreseeable future, and occasionally 2 teams. This year it would get 2 teams.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IMO, if the season ended as is today, I am fairly sure they would select us.
How do you - with a committee - select us over:

Baylor (assuming they beat Texas)
Oklahoma State (assuming they beat OU)

One will no doubt be a conference champion. Btw - I don't disagree with your basic point, but I'm saying THIS is what selection committees are about. And besides - you really think Delaney wouldn't argue if Mich St beat Ohio St to make them BOTH one-loss teams that "Alabama didn't even win its division?"

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I have no problem with the expanding the playoffs if we relegate it to conference champions. The conf. Championship game could be the first round.

Condor 63

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2003
Birmingham, AL
home.bham.rr.com
Still don't like it. Politics choose who gets in. Usually the two best teams are fairly obvious despite what the media losers say. They just want more product to sell with extra games.

As soon as you get 3-4 one loss teams and SEC schools are the ones that get shafted no one here will like it. More than likely the best thing that can be said about the new system is the "powers that be" will make sure the SEC either faces themselves or the toughest matchup possible much like they figured out how to rig college baseball when the SEC was uber strong.

Add on to all that the facts of life in the NFL and basketball - soon to be living in a world where a loss isn't all that bad as long as you can just sneak in. The best teams usually don't win the Superbowl because the hot team of the moment frequently knocks them out. That happened anyway yesterday but at least the blame was on us and not some weasel in the NCAA offices kingmaking matchups.

The fact is the current system has consistently produced a matchup of the two best teams. Last year was one of the few failures to do so and we rectified that mistake ourselves on the field.

The 7 win streak SEC type runs are over, the media and the NCAA will make sure of that, and it won't take people long to realize it. It will be obvious.

The media has been selling this load for years. The public unfortunately finally bought into it. The reason the SEC has been cleaning up is the current system forces the best matchup possible.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Wanted it several years ago. Just not in the current committee format. Nothing at all wrong with the current BCS format and going with the top four. Oh but no. Gotta jack around with it. Politics and egos hafta be a part of it!

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
IMO, this situation is a perfect example of how next years 4 team playoff is a vast improvement of the current BCS system.
IMO this situation is a perfect example of why a playoff is a horrible idea.

Part of what makes CFB so great is that the vast majority of the time a loss like this ends the year and you have to wait 365 days for another shot. Don't get me wrong, if the miraculous happens (again) ;) and we get another shot at Aubie I'll be thrilled. I just hate the idea that the loser of this game could ever just shrug their shoulders and say oh well, we'll see you in a month anyway. It's supposed to hurt as bad as this does when you lose so the wins will feel so exhilarating. JMHO

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
How do you - with a committee - select us over:

Baylor (assuming they beat Texas)
Oklahoma State (assuming they beat OU)

One will no doubt be a conference champion. Btw - I don't disagree with your basic point, but I'm saying THIS is what selection committees are about. And besides - you really think Delaney wouldn't argue if Mich St beat Ohio St to make them BOTH one-loss teams that "Alabama didn't even win its division?"
Easy. Although this was far from our best performance, we were just one coaching call from wrapping it up (passing up on FG after Coopers 99 yd TD) and one one in a thousand play (FG miss runback). Most polls have us #4, guessing BCS has us same.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.