Question: So, how do you feel about a 4 team playoff now?

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
This "Blue Ribbon Schmuck Panel" is going behind a curtain to deliberate, no transparency as to the criteria for selection.

The nation as a whole despises The SEC. I cannot see how anyone thinks an independent selection committee will unveil a legit group of 4.

They will take Conference Champs in year one, I will bet anyone on that

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Can we get a consensus on the following things?

1) If the selection committee picks the top four there's no need for the committee?

2) If the selection committee does NOT pick the top four there's no need for rankings?

3) If we had to go to a playoff format:
a) four is the absolute maximum to preserve the integrity and meaning of the regular season
b) four is the absolute maximum to allow for unusual circumstance without it necessarily being fatal to any contenderyou
c) we should simply have taken the Top Four BCS ranked teams

Can we get above 90% agreement on all of the above? Even if you are a BCS advocate (kRaZy and a few others), could you agree to these? And if you think polls (non-BCS) is preferred, could you agree with the above given the circumstances? And if you support a 4/8/16-team playoff......could you agree with the above points?
Bill, you have me totally confused.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Cliff Notes - Can we get a "Consensus" to validate my opinions?
What is your opinion?

You're quick to criticize - what EXACTLY is your opinion?

What - in your view - is the best way and why?

Simply answer the question.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Bill, you have me totally confused.

Let's go point by point.

Do you agree with the following:

1) If the selection committee picks the top four there's no need for the committee?

In other words, if the committee selects the top four ranked teams (1-4), it's pretty much useless in the first place?

2) If the selection committee does NOT pick the top four there's no need for rankings?

Do you agree that if the committee does NOT pick the top four then the ratings are generally useless?

Do you agree that:
3) Since we went to a playoff format:
a) four is the absolute maximum to preserve the integrity and meaning of the regular season

(Explanation: four is better than 8, 16, etc? Four maintains real meaning to regular season (no 7-6 playoff teams because they happened to win the Sun Belt Conference, for example)

b) four is the absolute maximum to allow for unusual circumstance without it necessarily being fatal to any contender
(Explanation: four teams permits the possibility of a stumble without a loss AUTOMATICALLY eliminating you)

c) we should simply have taken the Top Four BCS ranked teams

(Explanation: would c not have been better than a selection committtee? I have yet to hear anyone advocate a selection committee who is not named Tim Brando; I'm sure someone has but I haven't heard them).

It's simply a question. Maybe we cannot.

But could not MOST folks agree to the above even if they advocate something other than a four-team?

I think the bcs system was working fine. All you gotta do is win your games and your gonna play in the national title game . The new playoff system is a joke and will become a bigger one. They will keep expanding the playoff system till it takes away from the regular season.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think the bcs system was working fine.
Not really the question but thank you for stating your view.

All you gotta do is win your games and your gonna play in the national title game .
You mean like Auburn did in 2004?

An SEC champion went undefeated - and did not play in the national title game.

And let's be blunt: we were basically two injuries away in 2005 from us being in the same setup.

However, if you win all your games NOW, you're in, so I fail to see how this validates the BCS.

The new playoff system is a joke and will become a bigger one. They will keep expanding the playoff system till it takes away from the regular season.
I agree, but that's not really what I was asking, either.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I will attempt to respond although I am not sure where all this is going, but anyway:

1. If there is no committee then who or what determines the top 4 teams. The committee does exist to rank the teams 1-4 and above and also selects the bowl game participants.
2. See #1. Will the only poll left be the AP? I do think that if the committee's charge is to rank the teams, not just 1-4 then none of the other polls need to waste their time and money or even exist.
3. My first preference would be to continue to let the BCS model select the 4 highest rated teams. Since this did not happen then my second choice would have an 8 team playoff. Somehow making the committee select 8 teams seems to dilute some of the bias.

Not sure any of what I said made any sense, but IMO, you either have a 13 person committee's collective judgment with bias and no polls or continue with the polls as they were and use this in the computer rankings much like the BCS model. You cannot have it both ways.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw, let me make another observation: despite all the anger, petulance, and upset folks here, deep down every single one of you knows that you are NOT suddenly going to stop watching Alabama football just because you don't agree with how the national champion is determined.

And the powers that be know that, too.

So for all of the anger and upset folks - it's not going to move you one iota (and I include myself in this collective plural btw).

(I have one hope: that the power of the bowl games cartel will prevent the expansion to the eight-team playoff).

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Agree with Selma. Should have just taken the top 4 BCS teams. There has never, to my recollection, been a team ranked 5 or lower in the BCS with a legitimate claim that they should play in the NC game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Don't understand why so many continue to say they should have used the BCS formula. The BCS formula, that gave us Bama and LSU in their NCG, is THE reason a change was made. The BCS formula was NEVER an option.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Don't understand why so many continue to say they should have used the BCS formula. The BCS formula, that gave us Bama and LSU in their NCG, is THE reason a change was made. The BCS formula was NEVER an option.
Sure it was, but that was when only 2 teams were coming out of it. I don't even really care about the BCS, they could have used an average of the 2 mainstream human polls for all I care. The point is that such a system, where we wind up with the top 4 ranked teams (by BCS, poll average, whatever) in the playoff, would "get it right" 99.99999999% of the time. This "committee" idea is asinine and will just feed the argument to expand the playoff to 8 or more. At that point, the regular season really gets watered down. Much of the fun of college football, for me anyway, is in the week-to-week tension of trying to stay undefeated, or if we a get loss, watching to see if the dominoes will fall to get us back in the hunt. I just hate to see that go away.

Last edited:

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
People say that because the BCS pretty much got it right every year in many's opinion.

Yes, the anti-BCS sentiments amped up after 2011, because the BCS gave us the game that SHOULD have been played, not the game many necessarily WANTED to see. I fear the "Blue Hair Panel" has the unwritten missive to provide the latter.

I think the Panel, faced with 2011 dynamics, would NEVER select a deserving Alabama, hiding behind the Conference Champ thing.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
They don't want to "get it right". Regardless of what they say, the CFP is not about selecting the best teams. The only time that happens is when the top 4 teams just happen to also be conference champions.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Simply put, they will put the top 4 conference champions in. Not the best 4. Maybe they'll prove me wrong -- I hope so but I am not counting on it.
I tend to agree with this, but since there are 5 power conferences and if you happen to have 5 undefeated conference champions which conference gets left out?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.