Question: So, how do you feel about a 4 team playoff now?

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
The BCS was 150+ opinions (voters) combined with the calculations of 6 computers (with their various formulas) that provided xxxx results. Opinions are neither right or wrong, they're just opinions. The results of those opinions (i.e. the NCG and now the playoffs) can be deemed right or wrong...depending on one's agenda. The results of the BCS must have been wrong for the agenda of the ptb, because it was scrapped and replaced by this "committee" and their "criteria". The BCS was scrapped for a reason. Now we have 13 opinions that will determine the playoff participants and their seeds. Will these opinions be deemed right by the ptb? If not, will this "committee" be scrapped also? IMO, no...but it will lead to an 8 team playoff...which will be "great" for the ptb. Their agenda is to get the most "popular" teams involved in this playoff. The most popular and the best are not the same.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I tend to agree with this, but since there are 5 power conferences and if you happen to have 5 undefeated conference champions which conference gets left out?
That's a great question. I think in this scenario this is where they "earn their money" (not sure if this is a paid position or not). They would have to decide the weakest conference of the 5 I suppose.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Don't understand why so many continue to say they should have used the BCS formula. The BCS formula, that gave us Bama and LSU in their NCG, is THE reason a change was made. The BCS formula was NEVER an option.
It may not have been an option but it is what they should have used. Leaving this up to 13 individuals is madness. The controversy will only get bigger. The anger over Bama/LSU will seem like nothing after a couple of years of this formula.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I envision the reaction to the selection committees top four will be very similar to the reaction to the OJ jury's verdict in 1995.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I envision the reaction to the selection committees top four will be very similar to the reaction to the OJ jury's verdict in 1995.
If the committee's selection doesn't mirror the top 4 on the AP poll at the end of the season, it will be madness. In essence, the AP poll will drive the narrative for this playoff, and so far the strength of schedule hasn't really factored in.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really like Herbstreit, but how can anyone still have FSU in their top 4? Maybe this is his list of picks to make the playoff, which would make more sense, but I don't think that FSU is a top 5 team.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I really like Herbstreit, but how can anyone still have FSU in their top 4? Maybe this is his list of picks to make the playoff, which would make more sense, but I don't think that FSU is a top 5 team.
I agree, but for the moment you can't justify taking them out. They have the longest active winning streak in the country, and no matter how badly they play, they keep finding a way to win. They are the defending national champions, and no matter how bad they look, you can't drop them until they lose.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree, but for the moment you can't justify taking them out. They have the longest active winning streak in the country, and no matter how badly they play, they keep finding a way to win. They are the defending national champions, and no matter how bad they look, you can't drop them until they lose.
I don't agree with this line of thinking in college football. This FSU team isn't defending anything because they have not won anything. This FSU team is very different from the team that won it all last year. Finally, if last year matters so much, why is Auburn not in the top 4?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I don't agree with this line of thinking in college football. This FSU team isn't defending anything because they have not won anything. This FSU team is very different from the team that won it all last year. Finally, if last year matters so much, why is Auburn not in the top 4?
I like your viewpoint, and I personally agree. Unfortunately the media shares my statement and will take last year into consideration.

Here's the thing, my post only works if FSU wins out. If they lose, then you are right and last year goes out the window. Still, if they do win out, how can you possibly keep an undefeated ACC team out of a 4 team playoff?

You are right, last year means nothing at this point. However, it gives the media something to hype and gives FSU an over inflated sense of accomplishment.

I hope that FSU loses and is kept out. My only point, is that they have to be considered in until they lose. Thankfully all the speculation means nothing, and the true top 4 will work itself out through the course of the season.

Now to answer your last question. It's simple, because SNASS.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
They're pitching the OOC schedule so they don't have to compare relative conference strength. A two loss conference winner will get in before a one loss Alabama.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
First it was SOS. Now it's OOC SOS. This is the "beauty" of how this is set up. They can change their criteria to fit whatever they want.

Now, had they just started with an 8 team playoff, it could have included all Power 5 Champs, plus 3 at-large teams - including a non Power 5 team if necessary. It would be hard for many to argue and get mad in this scenario (emphasis on hard - not impossible).

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
They're pitching the OOC schedule so they don't have to compare relative conference strength. A two loss conference winner will get in before a one loss Alabama.
Not a chance a two loss CC gets in over one loss not CC Bama. I think the CC would be more of a deciding factor between two one loss teams..

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
First it was SOS. Now it's OOC SOS. This is the "beauty" of how this is set up. They can change their criteria to fit whatever they want.

Now, had they just started with an 8 team playoff, it could have included all Power 5 Champs, plus 3 at-large teams - including a non Power 5 team if necessary. It would be hard for many to argue and get mad in this scenario (emphasis on hard - not impossible).
I agree, they change their criteria based what is happening in the SEC. They should have started with an 8 team playoff. Power 5 Champs, plus ND (they can't be left out) and 2 at large teams.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
The one thing that I have confidence in right now is that they will have to release a ranking next week. Let's say Alabama is #4. Then Ole Miss and MSU lose. We'd probably move up to #2. If they then drop us to #5 after the conference championships behind 2-loss Oklahoma and 1-loss Notre Dame (or whatever), it will essentially invalidate their in-season rankings. Even non-Alabama fans will say after week 8 next year, "Who cares about the rankings - they will just put their top 4 in at the end of the year anyway."

Is there a process in place to replace a member? Or, will Archie's "position" just remain vacant?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.