Question: So, how do you feel about a 4 team playoff now?

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
For those of you already saying we need to hurry and go to 8 teams, I have to throw in my $.02.

I strongly disagree. I do believe it will happen, but I definitely don't think it is gonna fix anything or make anything better.

Our concern as Bama fans right now is that we could possibly finish this season as a team that is widely considered a top 2 or 3 team, having only lost one tough SEC road game and finished by beating 2 top 5 teams in the last few weeks, but being passed over because Ole Miss won the SEC and we already had our shot at them and there are other 1-loss conference champs out there!

We all know that is possible and we all know it is DO-DO! A team that might look like the 5th or 6th best team gets in over what everyone agrees is the 3rd or 4th best team (Bama) because they won the B1G or Big12.

Going to an 8-team format where all 5 power conference champs are automatically in would just make that worse! Having a team in the playoffs that no one really thinks is a top-10 team would be the rule rather than an exception. Plus with 3 at-large you know there would be more random, arbitrary requirements added. Notre Dame would automatically be in if they finished ranked in the top 10. They would also probably reserve a spot for the highest ranked non-power 5 conf champ as long as they are ranked in the top 25. They would probably also declare that no conference can get more than 2 teams in (conf champ plus one at large).

Right now the issue is a team that is 5th in most everyone's eyes gets in over the team most everyone agrees is #4, because they won a conference or because they scheduled a power-5 non-conference game. With an 8-team system like that, it would be the norm every year that some top 10 teams would be out and some teams ranked well below them would be in.

Plus the real issue with a system like this would be the fact that if you win your conference you are guaranteed a spot means you need to rest all your starters in your season-ending rivalry game because you have already clinched your division title. Boy that is good for college football ain't it? If i want that crap I'll watch the NFL.

Although I do fear we will grow to 8 and then 16 and then I think we will have done considerable damage to the sport I love so much, I do have to admit it is really exciting right now. I hope we at least tarry on the 4 team system for the full 12 years before we jump.

-Sully

Last edited:

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

I'm not lost on how losing a left tackle could have an influence on Oregon—especially protecting the blind side. I'm also very well aware that of the 18 sacks Oregon has allowed this season only one came in their loss.​

Editor note: Plagiarized from another board. :smile:
Bogus information. Arizona had 5 sacks in that game. As usual I am unimpressed by the Oregon defense (does it even exist?) but the O-line injuries have been significant.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I'd be very happy about the 4 team playoff if they had used the BCS formula to decide the teams. Having a committee is only to manipulate and avoid a result like the Bama LSU playoff. But, by issuing ratings early instead of waiting to the end of the season, I think they will tend to be fairer than if they waited until the season ended.
No matter how it shakes out, there will be a huge uproar, now there are real people to be angry at. It's much easier than being mad at a computer.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
For those of you already saying we need to hurry and go to 8 teams, I have to throw in my $.02.

I strongly disagree. I do believe it will happen, but I definitely don't think it is gonna fix anything or make anything better.

Our concern as Bama fans right now is that we could possibly finish this season as a team that is widely considered a top 2 or 3 team, having only lost one tough SEC road game and finished by beating 2 top 5 teams in the last few weeks, but being passed over because Ole Miss won the SEC and we already had our shot at them and there are other 1-loss conference champs out there!

We all know that is possible and we all know it is DO-DO! A team that might look like the 5th or 6th best team gets in over what everyone agrees is the 3rd or 4th best team (Bama) because they won the B1G or Big12.

Going to an 8-team format where all 5 power conference champs are automatically in would just make that worse! Having a team in the playoffs that no one really thinks is a top-10 team would be the rule rather than an exception. Plus with 3 at-large you know there would be more random, arbitrary requirements added. Notre Dame would automatically be in if they finished ranked in the top 10. They would also probably reserve a spot for the highest ranked non-power 5 conf champ as long as they are ranked in the top 25. They would probably also declare that no conference can get more than 2 teams in (conf champ plus one at large).

Right now the issue is a team that is 5th in most everyone's eyes gets in over the team most everyone agrees is #4, because they won a conference or because they scheduled a power-5 non-conference game. With an 8-team system like that, it would be the norm every year that some top 10 teams would be out and some teams ranked well below them would be in.

Plus the real issue with a system like this would be the fact that if you win your conference you are guaranteed a spot means you need to rest all your starters in your season-ending rivalry game because you have already clinched your division title. Boy that is good for college football ain't it? If i want that crap I'll watch the NFL.

Although I do fear we will grow to 8 and then 16 and then I think we will have done considerable damage to the sport I love so much, I do have to admit it is really exciting right now. I hope we at least tarry on the 4 team system for the full 12 years before we jump.

-Sully
Won't go to 6 teams anytime soon. Won't go to 8 teams anytime EVER. Would put them out of business. NCAA rule mandates that NCAA administers any playoff of 8 or more teams.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
If they, Big 12-2, can gain entry to the playoff without having to play a championship game, ala Notre Dame, why would they risk it? We can only hope the committee will continue to punish them for playing one fewer game. Hopefully they will punish the Irish similarly if they were to be in contention, some day. And yet the media wants to take us to task for not going to 9 conference games just because other leagues have done so.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
As others have mentioned, the lack of a championship game really wasn't what kept them out of the playoffs as there are 5 power conferences and only 4 slots. The lack of a championship game didn't help, but it's going to be very hard for a TCU or Baylor to get in over an Ohio State.

Baylor and TCU are only 90 miles apart so it is likely they'd they'd be in the same division anyway. The lower rated Baylor would have been in the championship game and TCU would have been sitting home.

Last edited:

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
I would be fine with the four team playoff if they would simply use the old BCS formula for selecting the top 4 teams. Looking back over the BCS years, the top four would have right almost every time. I guess that was too simple.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Personally, I have loved the playoff this year. It kept about 8 teams relevant to the NC discussion deep into November, they got the playoff teams correct (IMHO anyways), and the 3 best teams this year (Bama, FSU, and Oregon) all have a shot to settle things on the field.

I cannot imagine how the inaugural season could have gone better. I have loved every week of it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.