Question: So, how do you feel about a 4 team playoff now?

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
To me the playoff was the right thing. I feel we should of had the pairing of us vs. FSU in NEW ORLEANS & OHIO STATE VS OREGON in the PASADENA. (MORE OF A rose bowl feel)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I still hate it.

I guess it's easy to overlook this, but what we saw today was the two best regular seasons get erased.

Last edited:

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
I think they got it right. However, I would have liked to see a TCU/Oregon match-up. Had to put Florida State in, though. They beat ND on a call that is never hardly made (pick) and GA Tech, both who looked pretty good in their bowl games. SEC has been in a Playoff for a while now (SECCG).

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I still hate it.

I guess it's easy to overlook this, but what we saw today was the two best regular seasons get erased.
FSU didn't belong no matter the record. That was the only mistake . We went to the Sugar Bowl and just lost.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I still do not like it. This bowl season I watched 2 bowls games including the playoff game we were in. For me the Rose and Sugar bowl were not even bowl games. None of the playoff games will be bowl games for me. It was just another game to play to see if you play for the Championship.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
FSU didn't belong no matter the record. That was the only mistake . We went to the Sugar Bowl and just lost.
If you look at off field issues, they didn't belong. If you look at what they did, on the field, yes... they belonged and then some. Their schedule was as difficult as Oregon's, and more difficult than Ohio State's, and they did not lose in the regular season. That used to mean something.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's easy enough to argue that Oregon and Ohio State were the two best teams. I never liked Alabama's chances in this playoff. But, what we are seeing is a clear shift from the most deserving team, to who ever the "best" team is. There's no way, no way at all that Ohio State's resume stacks up to the other teams in the playoff, and they clearly had the worse loss. But, they might very well be the best team and to some people that matters most.

Edit: It's easy enough to forget, but the updated SoS has Alabama at 2, FSU at 22, Oregon at 29, and Ohio State at 44. It might also be easy to forget when it's all said and done that Alabama and FSU combined for one regular season loss, and a combined SoS that was less than Ohio State's. I don't see how you can look at that and think that the regular season has not been severely diminished.

Last edited:

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I still don't like it. Under the BCS Bama would have been playing the Number 2 (Oregon, which Bama still might have ended on the losing side, Oregon was/is very impressive) instead of losing to a very capable and fired up number 4 that smelled blood and had nothing to lose. Wait until they expand this mess to 8 teams and a hungry, fired up, motivated, underdog #8 plays a smug, overconfident, entitled #1 and bests them. Football has too few games played to submit a team that has done great all year to the possibility of having one bad game against a normally inferior team and then seeing that team possibly losing in the NC game to the #7 team. If my #1 team is going to have a bad game, at least make it to the #2 team in a two team Championship instead of running a gauntlet of two or three games where injuries and just plain bad luck. or just a bad day, cost them an otherwise deserved Championship. JMO.

Forgot to add...ROLL TIDE!

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I think this first year did tons of damage to the SEC image. That's what i think. We won't get the benefit of the doubt by the selection committee now if there are six 1 loss teams.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Under the BCS, I think it would have been Bama playing FSU for the crytal trophy. As it turns out, neither are deserving and now a better team will win it. In that regard, I like the playoff even though it worked against us this year. Maybe one year it will work for us.

Edit: TCU should have been in it. I don't know who you leave out, but I think TCU and Oregon are the two best teams this year. I would love to see that game.

Last edited:

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Didn't like it when it was announced and hate it now. It allows a inferior team the chance to play in a championship, especially in a one game series.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Didn't like it when it was announced and hate it now. It allows a inferior team the chance to play in a championship, especially in a one game series.
I'm not sure inferior is quite right, I think undeserving is more appropriate. However, a playoff does randomize things and increase the chances of an inferior team winning. For instance, clearly either team could have won the game last night. It's easy to say Ohio State is the better team, but really who knows? You replay that game, and Alabama stays healthy on defense, it could have played out differently.

What we can say for sure, is that Alabama earned their #1 seed, they had a better regular season, and there's no question at all that they were deserving. Ohio State? They played a lousy SoS, they lost to a mediocre Virginia Tech team, and one can easily argue they did not earn a right in the regular season to play for a championship. There will be years though, in which the difference will be even more stark, in which a two loss team will get a chance at knocking off an undefeated team, and I'm saddened by it. Not just because Alabama lost, my stance has been unwavering on this issue, I just think it's eroding something special and unique that college football had, which was the most important regular season of the major sports.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I'm not sure inferior is quite right, I think undeserving is more appropriate. However, a playoff does randomize things and increase the chances of an inferior team winning. For instance, clearly either team could have won the game last night. It's easy to say Ohio State is the better team, but really who knows? You replay that game, and Alabama stays healthy on defense, it could have played out differently.

What we can say for sure, is that Alabama earned their #1 seed, they had a better regular season, and there's no question at all that they were deserving. Ohio State? They played a lousy SoS, they lost to a mediocre Virginia Tech team, and one can easily argue they did not earn a right in the regular season to play for a championship. There will be years though, in which the difference will be even more stark, in which a two loss team will get a chance at knocking off an undefeated team, and I'm saddened by it. Not just because Alabama lost, my stance has been unwavering on this issue, I just think it's eroding something special and unique that college football had, which was the most important regular season of the major sports.
The playoff is going to favor conferences that dont have to grind through their conference to get into the playoff. As we can see, the SEC is such a meat grinder that it will be difficult to have enough depth to compete, imo. This was a bad injury year for us but look around the conference this year. There were some horrific injuries to several teams that effectively derailed their hopes. I said it in another thread but even with a 3 week layoff we still looked like a tired and beat up team last night. Come to think of it we might of have stopped running left because of Cam's shoulder and ankle injuries simply could have held up to that abuse throughout the game. In fact there may have been other injuries along the OL not well known that may have bent us toward more passing.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If the old BCS system were still used then an Alabama vs FSU title game, as it turned out, would have not pitted the two best teams. Had the BCS picked Alabama vs Oregon, as it turned out, we would have been the team embarrassed. It would appear that TCU, after the fact was more deserving than FSU and possibly Alabama.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
If the old BCS system were still used then an Alabama vs FSU title game, as it turned out, would have not pitted the two best teams. Had the BCS picked Alabama vs Oregon, as it turned out, we would have been the team embarrassed. It would appear that TCU, after the fact was more deserving than FSU and possibly Alabama.

Come on Gray, that is stretching it to say Bama didn't deserve to be there.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.