News Article: The 13 reasons Alabama lost the Iron Bowl, some obvious, others more subtle

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think it does help put things into perspectives. I said earlier that it was a series of unfortunate events, and really that's all there was to it. It wasn't one guy, it wasn't one play, it wasn't one call. It was a series of things happening at the wrong time.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
7. Movement?
Now to the controversial false start that cost Alabama three huge fourth-quarter points. Foster was lined up for a 28-yard field goal attempt with 14:08 remaining. Flags came in and Arie Kouandjio was called for moving early as Foster's field goal sailed through the uprights. Replays did not show any movement — perhaps the slightest of flinches — for a stunned Kouandjio. It would have broken a 21-21 score, and combined with the 99 yard AJ McCarron-to-Cooper touchdown a few minutes later would have put the Tide up two scores in the fourth quarter. That scenario would present itself again, however.
My dad missed the game. The best way I could describe this "movement" was Arie looked like he may have farted or something. The movement was extremely minimal.

This game is like the previous losses under Saban since 2008: there wasn't one thing that caused the loss. Several things led to the loss.

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
I would add the fact that Drake was not running the ball in the second half, after he looked significantly healthier and more explosive than Yeldon during the few carries he got in the first half. I really think if we hit them with Drake late in the game, when AU's defense was obviously tired, we win. That really bugged me, although there may have been a reason I didn't know about. It could NOT have been injury, since several here have pointed out that he was in on special teams. Anyway, it's in the past now.

This list helps put the game in perspective, process how it happened, and then look forward. Obviously the players and the coaches made way too many mistakes to win. For the players, they are all ages 18-21, and they play this game so much better than I ever could. I am very proud and very thankful for all they have given to represent our program and university with such excellence and class. For the coaches, they are still the best in the game, and it's not close IMO. CNS is competitive as hell, and will learn from this loss and come back better next time. I have no doubt about that. Auburn better watch out. Roll Tide!!!

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I would add the fact that Drake was not running the ball in the second half, after he looked significantly healthier and more explosive than Yeldon during the few carries he got in the first half. I really think if we hit them with Drake late in the game, when AU's defense was obviously tired, we win. That really bugged me, although there may have been a reason I didn't know about. It could NOT have been injury, since several here have pointed out that he was in on special teams. Anyway, it's in the past now.

This list helps put the game in perspective, process how it happened, and then look forward. Obviously the players and the coaches made way too many mistakes to win. For the players, they are all ages 18-21, and they play this game so much better than I ever could. I am very proud and very thankful for all they have given to represent our program and university with such excellence and class. For the coaches, they are still the best in the game, and it's not close IMO. CNS is competitive as hell, and will learn from this loss and come back better next time. I have no doubt about that. Auburn better watch out. Roll Tide!!!
Excuse me, but I have to disagree. AU's defense was not tired at all. In fact, I think their defense was probably the deepest it's been in a long time because they substituted a lot more on their defense than we did on our offense.
I'm not arguing the point about running Kenyan Drake vs. Amari Cooper because I have no idea why CNS played them the way he did, nor is it my business to second-guess him.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
On No. 11, there is no mention of the obvious downfield blocking before the pass. Maybe that was why HaHa and CJ broke off of the coverage. This can be seen on the replay. The FB is at least 6-7 yards passed the line of scrimmage blocking, and at least two linemen are 4-5 yards passed the line of scrimmage blocking. I'm not blaming the loss on that one play, but that was a huge missed call. That it was a close game does amplify it. We did, however, have plenty of opportunities to take the game out of the hands of the officials.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
On No. 11, there is no mention of the obvious downfield blocking before the pass. Maybe that was why HaHa and CJ broke off of the coverage. This can be seen on the replay. The FB is at least 6-7 yards passed the line of scrimmage blocking, and at least two linemen are 4-5 yards passed the line of scrimmage blocking. I'm not blaming the loss on that one play, but that was a huge missed call. That it was a close game does amplify it. We did, however, have plenty of opportunities to take the game out of the hands of the officials.
Ref's were too busy watching the Bama offensive linemen to see if they could detect any phantom movements on the sideline...

Agree that Bama lost the game with mistakes, missed opportunities, and missed assignments on offense and defense. Some of the same errors have popped up all year and Auburn played better than I thought they were capable of.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The pass to Coates is null because linemen were already downfield. Realistically he couldn't throw the ball, but got away with it. It's not a breakdown...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I figure if only Colt hadn't gotten hurt a few years ago, we would have won the Iron Bowl with no problem.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The pass to Coates is null because linemen were already downfield. Realistically he couldn't throw the ball, but got away with it. It's not a breakdown...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I believe Coach Saban said it was a breakdown during his press conference. Can't rely on ref's to make the right calls. The defensive backs are not instructed to ignore potential receivers if they notice illegal receivers downfield or illegal contact by the offense.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Maybe only one failed since one was supposed to stick with the receiver and the other was supposed to go for the QB.
That may be the case. My guess would be that C. Jones was supposed to stay with the receiver and HaHa would pursue the runner. There is a reason why it is against the rules for offensive lineman to be beyond the line of scrimmage when a forward pass goes beyond the los. The defense accurately reads a running play and pursues the runner to make a tackle. Phil Savage actually said something about that play to CNS during the post-game interview. I agree that you have to take the game out of the hands of the officials. But in context to this one play only, the officials didn't do their job.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That may be the case. My guess would be that C. Jones was supposed to stay with the receiver and HaHa would pursue the runner.
This is what Saban indicated in the post-game presser. The CB's job was the receiver. He had no run support responsibilities on that play. He did not do his job/trust his teammates.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Anybody else see the 3 lineman and fullback across the LOS blocking when Marshall threw the TD pass? Was this just blatantly missed because it seems that type of call has a ref assigned to it?

I'm not saying this cost the game but it did cost pts at a bad time.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Anybody else see the 3 lineman and fullback across the LOS blocking when Marshall threw the TD pass? Was this just blatantly missed because it seems that type of call has a ref assigned to it?
This gets into the most pressing problem with the hurry-up no huddle offense that just isn't being addressed. I've seen concern addressed to make sure that they get the ball set fast enough for the offense, but what about refs focusing on insuring that Auburn follows the rules, while they do all their misdirection?

The main goal is Auburn's offense is to confuse the offense, and the refs. They just try to create chaos, and hope that everyone not in an Auburn uniform gets confused. If there are not going to be any specific rules to address this sort of offense, there absolutely needs to be extra resources put in place to in the least insure they are following the rules that do exist. I continue to believe that a large reason this sort of offense is effective is because they are not being fully bound to follow existing rules.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.