An observation about Auburn fans and the Alabama/Auburn relationship.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
First, I have to say this. I don't think it is fair to judge all Auburn fans. There are people who have a legitimate connection to the Auburn, perhaps they or someone close to them went to Auburn, or they grew up near Auburn. Likewise, if your parents were Auburn fans, then it's pretty normal for that to be passed on to children.

Secondly, I am one of those that believes that Auburn is not Alabama's true rival. Tennessee is Alabama's true rival, Alabama went decades without playing Auburn (and much longer without playing in Auburn), and did Alabama miss that? I think not. It was pressure on the part of Auburn that enabled both of those things to happen. Auburn needs Alabama, they feed off of Alabama, they're like a bum who waits for someone to throw away what's left of their food and eats it. The Alabama/Auburn game is the season for Auburn. It's why they have their bye before they play Alabama, it's how they decide whether to keep or fire their coaches. Geographically, and logically they should switch places with Missouri (and go to the SEC East), but Auburn would never give up playing Alabama because Alabama makes Auburn relevant.

I live in Mobile, and that's about as close to neutral ground as you're going to find within the state. I've seen more Auburn gear in the past two days than I've seen in the past month. Why is that? I see people wearing Alabama stuff year round, if I go virtually anywhere I'm assured of seeing someone in an Alabama shirt or Alabama hat. Auburn though? It fluctuates wildly, and that is derived from what motivates a majority of Auburn fans to become Auburn fans. For instance, on Saturday morning I saw a Florida fan wearing an Auburn hat. He has much more Florida gear than Auburn gear, but he dug up his Auburn hat to wear before the game, to show that he's a not Alabama fan.

As I discussed the game, I couldn't help but notice that the Auburn fans I encountered were mainly women, and mainly people who showed no interest in college football on other occasions. I'm talking about people I'd known and talked to for a couple of years, and the first war eagle I'd heard from them came on Saturday morning. You couldn't get them to discuss football before then, and in most cases if you quizzed them on Auburn's season I'd surmise they'd mostly be ignorant. For instance, I noticed a split family, Alabama fan man, Auburn fan woman. I asked them after the game how that went, and she said she hung the Christmas tree up during the game.

I'm not trying to say women don't care about football, but generally they don't care about football as much as men do. Auburn, for people in the state that are tired of hearing about college football, and tired of hearing about Alabama, represents the perfect way to get revenge. My father was an Alabama fan, my siblings were Alabama fans. My mom, who was from Florida? She declared she preferred Auburn because Alabama cared more about football than academics (I guess she was ignorant of Auburn's priorities). My brother-in-law is a huge Alabama fan, and he's a popular, outgoing guy. His slightly less popular identical twin brother? He's an Auburn fan. My brother-in-law's daughter (despite her parents and brother being Alabama fans), decided she was an Auburn fan for a while. Same thing with my brother's emo daughter, who surrounded by Alabama fans decided to say she was an Auburn fan.

There have even been a lot of Auburn players that basically ended up there because they couldn't get an offer, or immediate playing time from Alabama. Auburn is the team you cheer for if you don't like Alabama, Auburn is the school you go to if you can't cut it at Alabama. That might not be the case 100% of the time, but it's the case a majority of the time. You cheer for Auburn because you're tired of hearing about Alabama. You cheer for Auburn because you're tired of hearing about college football. You cheer for Auburn, like one friend's mom (who lives in Missouri and knows nothing about football really), because you want the underdog to win. The key point here is that Auburn fans are for the most part have based their relationship with Auburn, on how they feel about Alabama football.

This is why Auburn fans would rather both teams lose than both teams win. This is why Auburn fans celebrate Alabama losses as much as Auburn victories. This is why for most Auburn fans, they'd rather beat Alabama and lose the rest of their games, than lose to Alabama and win the rest of their games. They are not fans of Auburn football, they're just not Alabama fans. I've said it before, but most Auburn fans would gladly see Auburn football commit murder suicide with Alabama football.

As for Alabama fans, I saw a few posts about needing the NFL in the state, or about caring too much about Alabama football. Well, this loss is a heck of a lot like the loss to LSU. When Alabama lost to LSU, it seemed like they had virtually no chance at a championship, and virtually no chance at the SECCG. The impact was virtually the same, and in a lot of ways the game was a lot like the loss to Texas A&M as well. So, what was so different? Why did this game make people rethink how much they cared about football? Well, the issue is how much they cared about Auburn football. I don't really think it's that Alabama fans care too much about Alabama football, it's that some fans care far too much about another team.

I noticed this behavior to a lesser extent the past couple of years. As we went over scenarios that got Alabama into the BCSCG, some of them involved Auburn winning games. I saw multiple fans, including my brother state that they would never cheer for Auburn, period. I saw that a lot here as well, but what is that ultimately saying? That's saying you care more about Auburn than Alabama. That you'd rather something bad happen to Auburn, than something good happen to Alabama. Likewise, I saw multiple posts on this board after the loss to Auburn stating a National Championship would be meaningless because Alabama lost to Auburn.

Seriously? That could negate the championship? The loss to LSU didn't negate it, the the loss to A&M didn't negate it, but somehow, for some reason, Auburn matters more. That is a problem, that is an issue. Many Alabama fans care far too much about Auburn. Auburn is just another opponent, and Alabama needs to beat them in all facets, in particularly because of proximity. But, Auburn shouldn't mean too much to us. We're Alabama fans, and that's what should be important.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
We have one Barner fan in our family. We call him a genetic mutation. We have discussed electric shock treatment, counseling, and drugs, but we finally decided it is just something we have to live with. We just look at him and are thankful. There but for the grace of God, go I.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I don't know when all this started about auburn not being our biggest rival, but that is erroneous. We don't have to base our entire existence around them like they do us, but still, they are our biggest rival. It's not tennessee. It didn't suddenly change to LSU just because Saban came from there. It's still auburn. Unfortunately, no Alabama head coach since Bear Bryant has approached the rivalry this way. To Perkins, Curry, Stallings, Dubose, Fran, and Shula, it was just another game. And even to Saban, it's just another game. perkins had to follow the bear, so he knew at best, he would never have been the long term solution for head coach. Hence, the auburn game didn't mean that much to him. Curry couldn't beat auburn at Georgia Tech. He knew that he too was in fact, just a placeholder at Bama. Hence, he wasn't all that concerned about auburn. Stallings, like Saban, had a higher emphasis on another team. But in Stallings' case, it was tennessee. Dubose was clueless, Fran was biding his time, and Shula was in an impossible situation. And, for Saban, the team to beat is, naturally LSU. Well, I'll say this, the game had better regain it's meaning in a hurry. As someone else already posted, SO much importance has been placed on LSU because that has been the team to beat to win the West. Until now. You know what? LSU has been replaced. Anybody who does not see that is naive. For all intents and purposes, auburn is in fact, the new LSU in the West. LSU is headed downward, while auburn is clearly moving in the opposite direction.

I don't get why the players don't have that same intensity for auburn that the players of the past did. Remember 1997, for instance? We were just dreadful that season. Yet, we played well enough to beat auburn. In fact, we HAD the game won, if not for that fumble at the end. Tell me that that's not an intensity for a rivalry. I don't know what has happened, but something has changed. Maybe we've just got so many out of state players now, and hence, auburn doesn't mean quite that much to them.

As for auburn people. They are the enemy. NONE of them are "alright" in my book. Anybody thinking that any of them have anything good to say about any of us are fooling themselves. I have zero love, trust, or respect for those sick, sick individuals. I don't know them, and I don't want to know them. I have even quit speaking to and have disowned relatives who are barners. So much so, that I will never help them with anything in life. Is that extreme? Sure. But I don't care. It's the way I feel, and all the Bama fans who are barner sympathizers telling me that I shouldn't feel that way won't change my mind in the slightest.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I used to feel that Tennessee was our true rival. Historically, they are. They were the team to beat in order to have supremacy in the South. It was always Alabama or Tennessee. As you've pointed out, Auburn was indeed an afterthought from 1906 until 1948.

But what has happened at Tennessee over the last several years is not simply a program in a down cycle. The environment has changed, and Tennessee has not been able to change with it. Their lifeblood has always been recruiting out of state, and they have become surrounded by programs that are far more stable and attractive than they are. They can no longer raid Alabama, Georgia, Florida, or South Carolina for necessary talent. Their program has thus fallen into financial chaos and they've been unable to hire a good coach. Usually, in the case of historically great programs, you can be assured that they'll recover from their down cycles. I'm not certain that is the case with Tennessee. This game has been totally non competitive since 2007 (except for the 2009 game). That's not a rivalry. In the past, when one team would go on long winning streaks against the other, it was still a close, competitive game. So what I'm saying is, it may be time to reconsider this thought process that Tennessee is our "true" rival.

As for Auburn, this is only Gus's first year. So much of their future will be dependent upon what he does. Does he take another job somewhere or does Auburn pony up the cash to keep him? But make no mistake about Auburn. You are right their obsession lies with Alabama. And they will devote all of their resources to beat us. If this were Southern Miss we were talking about, we wouldn't have to worry so much. But this is a program that's proven itself very capable of disrupting our success. In that vein, I understand where JessN is coming from in his post game article. So much devotion has been placed on the LSU game. For a while actually, we were really ticked off with Florida and we dominated them into oblivion. But LSU is on the downward slide. Les Miles has done nice maintenance job, but he's running out of steam and that train isn't going to be chugging along so nicely for very much longer.

I do believe that chances are that Auburn is going to be the program in the West that we've got to contend with. Malzahn knows what he is doing - and their talent level is only going to rise.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I do believe that chances are that Auburn is going to be the program in the West that we've got to contend with. Malzahn knows what he is doing - and their talent level is only going to rise.
There are a lot of Malzahn doubters on this board, and I disagree with all of them. Some of them will come around after this game, but others will look at the fluke finish and the mistakes, and continue to discount the way they were able to move the ball at will on a top defense, and everyone else on their schedule, for that matter. Far from being "smoke and mirrors," it leverages manpower, recognition of defenses, sowing confusion in the opponents, and creating opportunity. And don't think for a second that Malzahn's O is doomed without a freak athlete running threat at quarterback. His Tulsa offense set NCAA records for passing with a statue at QB. He is a master at using his available tools effectively, and AU is now a force to be reckoned with.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
[QUOTE=TideEngineer08 As for Auburn, this is only Gus's first year. So much of their future will be dependent upon what he does. Does he take another job somewhere or does Auburn pony up the cash to keep him? [/QUOTE].

I believe this to be the key for auburn's future. after this season, win or lose in the SECCG, Gus will be a hot commodity, let's see how much he loves auburn.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
There are a lot of Malzahn doubters on this board, and I disagree with all of them. Some of them will come around after this game, but others will look at the fluke finish and the mistakes, and continue to discount the way they were able to move the ball at will on a top defense, and everyone else on their schedule, for that matter. Far from being "smoke and mirrors," it leverages manpower, recognition of defenses, sowing confusion in the opponents, and creating opportunity. And don't think for a second that Malzahn's O is doomed without a freak athlete running threat at quarterback. His Tulsa offense set NCAA records for passing with a statue at QB. He is a master at using his available tools effectively, and AU is now a force to be reckoned with.
Spot on in my opinion. I hope he goes to Texas, but I have a feeling he is about to get a huge, renegotiated contract from the boogs. We might as well get ready to deal with it and recruit for it.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
I've noticed that the people I know who are true Auburn fans do have some tie to the university, either their parent, sibling, they went themselves, their kid goes, etc. The "fly-by-night" Auburn fan is, indeed, usually someone who just wants to pull against Alabama. I've also noticed that these people tend to have an inferiority complex, so that fits perfectly. Every Bama fan I know is impressed by the university/team and wants to be FOR someone who wins, not against someone.

As far as Saban's approach to Auburn, if they become more successful and the one to beat for the West, won't that just take care of itself? I mean, the approach to that game will change dramatically if they're a serious threat to Alabama's yearly goals, and Saban will treat them accordingly. If Gus starts poaching in Saban's recruiting areas, that would change his mind also.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
No they're not.
Then what are they? They might be a despised opponent, but they're not Alabama's historical rival, and they're certainly not the second best program in the SEC.

The additional importance we place on Auburn is without Auburn having the merit to be accorded this. They're the sixth best SEC program historically. In terms of accomplishments Auburn is closer to Wake Forest than Alabama. It's like Michael Jordan caring a lot about John Starks. Yes, Alabama absolutely needs to try their best to beat Auburn, but otherwise they're only important because we make them important.

To look at it another way, is Auburn the biggest obstacle to Alabama winning the SEC or to winning a national championship? Well, in 2008 it was Florida that kept Alabama out of the BCSCG, in 2010 it was LSU that took Alabama out of contention for the SECCG, in 2011 it was LSU that handed Alabama their only loss and kept them out of the SECCG, and in 2012 it was Texas A&M that put Alabama's BCSCG hopes in peril. How then can we conclude that Auburn is somehow much more important?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Then what are they? They might be a despised opponent, but they're not Alabama's historical rival, and they're certainly not the second best program in the SEC.

The additional importance we place on Auburn is without Auburn having the merit to be accorded this. They're the sixth best SEC program historically. In terms of accomplishments Auburn is closer to Wake Forest than Alabama. It's like Michael Jordan caring a lot about John Starks. Yes, Alabama absolutely needs to try their best to beat Auburn, but otherwise they're only important because we make them important.

To look at it another way, is Auburn the biggest obstacle to Alabama winning the SEC or to winning a national championship? Well, in 2008 it was Florida that kept Alabama out of the BCSCG, in 2010 it was LSU that took Alabama out of contention for the SECCG, in 2011 it was LSU that handed Alabama their only loss and kept them out of the SECCG, and in 2012 it was Texas A&M that put Alabama's BCSCG hopes in peril. How then can we conclude that Auburn is somehow much more important?
They are in our state and we have to hear about it from them whenever they are good enough to knock us down.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Bottom line folks. Tennessee is done. TideEngineer08 hit the nail right on the head. They are not simply in a down time. They are down. They are out. I do not see them doing much of anything ever again. Vanderbilt now owns them. Vanderbilt.Tennessee is no more of a threat to us than Devry University. LSU is in trouble. We are in the beginning of the end of the Les Miles era, and he would do good to have an exit strategy right now. While LSU may not sink to the depths that tennessee has, they are about to drop off. A losing season is coming for them, soon. Count on it. There is no good way to say this without sounding like I'm calling out Saban, but here goes. I'm happy that Saban has put a few beat downs on his former team. But, it's time for him to move past that. He was at LSU from 2000-2004. It's going to be 2014 soon. His time in Baton Rouge ended many years ago. He's been with us nearly twice as long. It's time to view auburn as more than "just another game". And it's time to view LSU with a tad less angst.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Minimizing Auburn as just another opponent is ridiculous. It's our biggest game of the regular season. Bama football would not be as fun without Auburn. It's, in my opinion, the greatest rivalry in college football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I've noticed that the people I know who are true Auburn fans do have some tie to the university, either their parent, sibling, they went themselves, their kid goes, etc. The "fly-by-night" Auburn fan is, indeed, usually someone who just wants to pull against Alabama. I've also noticed that these people tend to have an inferiority complex, so that fits perfectly. Every Bama fan I know is impressed by the university/team and wants to be FOR someone who wins, not against someone.

As far as Saban's approach to Auburn, if they become more successful and the one to beat for the West, won't that just take care of itself? I mean, the approach to that game will change dramatically if they're a serious threat to Alabama's yearly goals, and Saban will treat them accordingly. If Gus starts poaching in Saban's recruiting areas, that would change his mind also.
Well, if the game this year didn't change the mindset of Coach Saban and everybody else associated with the team, I don't know what would.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

All excellent points, but AU is the in-state rival and they are now in a position with Malzoid to make our lives miserable every year if Coach Saban doesn't get the team totally focused on this game.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.