Post Iron Bowl Workplace Smack Talk

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
I work with several big college football fans, but only 1 is a barn grad. He's a big fan, but isn't a trash talker, and neither am I. He knows I'm a passionate fan, so he hasn't came by my desk yet. He'll give me a little time, then he'll come by and talk about the game. What gets me is all of the fans of other teams on Facebook. My news feed was all about the game Saturday night, and 80% was Vile fans gloating over the Bama loss. Their team was actually on TV, but they would rather Facebook post about Bama. That burns me up more than anything. I guess when you don't have much to cheer for, you focus on something more interesting.

Bamagirl26

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005
Auburn (UGH)
I work at the Barn. I've gotten a lot of ," Got a second?" comments. They've actually been pretty tame. Way better than I was expecting. Maybe because I'm not horrible to them when we win. The day is young, though.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I work with several big college football fans, but only 1 is a barn grad. He's a big fan, but isn't a trash talker, and neither am I. He knows I'm a passionate fan, so he hasn't came by my desk yet. He'll give me a little time, then he'll come by and talk about the game. What gets me is all of the fans of other teams on Facebook. My news feed was all about the game Saturday night, and 80% was Vile fans gloating over the Bama loss. Their team was actually on TV, but they would rather Facebook post about Bama. That burns me up more than anything. I guess when you don't have much to cheer for, you focus on something more interesting.
Had a who fan post on fb something about "Rammer Jammer...." can't finish quote because of profanity, but I leveled him with the fact that he had to pull for other teams to beat Bama because his wasn't good enough. Just another hater...unfriended.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
None here...put the quietus on it quick. If it flares up later, it will be literally stomped out.
Ditto. I don't tolerate it either. I don't do it to them and I'm sure as hades ain't going to allow them to do it to me. Had one come in and tell me he watched a history of the Iron Bowl on espn this weekend, he was testing the waters. I looked up and over my reading glasses with my best Coach Saban stare, conversation ended.

Roll Tide

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't talk smack to my Aub coworkers. We talk football.

One hasn't really said anything about the game to me. The other didn't really wait. Asked me how I liked the win. I said Bama played poor. He took off with "I think we took you off your mental game." I just looked at him like he's an idiot, which he is because I have to explain what a 4-3, 3-4, etc is to him. After a few seconds, I asked "What does that even mean?" He explained that football is a mental game and Auburn got Alabama off of its mental game. When I tried to say the only mental aspect about it was Gus wanting the defense to think and that happened, he said "Oh, you're butt hurt!!!" I hate Auburn.

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010
I haven't said anything at all about the game to any Bama fans here -- and won't unless they bring it up. I've talked about the game with a Miami fan and two Tennessee fans... that's it...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have a rule that I live by as a fan - when my team wins, I don't broach the game as a subject of conversation until/unless my rival friends bring it up first. For instance, I have a couple of very good friends who went to ND. After Alabama beat them in January, I did not reach out to any of them - I waited for them to get over the loss and reach out to me.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
Had an Aubie ask me and another BAMA fan, "Got a second." I had to laugh. I shook his hand and congradulated him on 'his' win. He blushed, closed his mouth and we to his office. We lost. They won. Oh well, on to the bowl game and next season.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
At church yesterday I didn't hear any gloating. I think they were all still in shock to be honest. Most just said it was a classic game. One Aubie said that Bama didn't deserve to be #1 playing like they did against AU. And, he's right. He said that Bama should've put the game away at least four times. Before you flame him he's a great guy who was in no way being obnoxious.

Now social media is a different story. I don't get on much anyway but definitely will not for a LONG while.

On another note I would like a rematch somehow. If Mizzou wins out and OSU gets beat as do other 1 loss teams maybe one of the at large BCS would take it. It would be smart financially for them to do so. That game would get more attention than the NC game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Well, I must say, my Monday has been alright after all! :DThe barners at my job had a victory celebration planned where they were going to go prancing down the halls blowing kisses the way $cam used to when he was at the barn. They were all cranked up and ready to go, when all of a sudden, the handcuffs got put on the situation. I don't know what happened, but ALL of them who were wearing auburn gear were sent home and told to change clothes. I think they ticked off the powers that be last Wednesday by taking it upon themselves to declare it "team spirit" day. They were told that this is a business, and that the way they dressed last Wednesday and the way they were dressed this morning was highly unacceptable and an embarrassment to the place. They were also told (right before they were sent home to change clothes) that this is NOT the weekend, and that they were NOT at home watching a football game and that if they could not return to work in professional attire and with professional attitudes, then perhaps a couple of days away from work, minus pay, may be in order to help put things into perspective. They all went home and came back in different clothing and were a little, shall we say, quieter. I have never really seen eye to eye with the higher ups at my job, but today, I could just hug their necks!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
At church yesterday I didn't hear any gloating. I think they were all still in shock to be honest. Most just said it was a classic game. One Aubie said that Bama didn't deserve to be #1 playing like they did against AU. And, he's right. He said that Bama should've put the game away at least four times. Before you flame him he's a great guy who was in no way being obnoxious.

Now social media is a different story. I don't get on much anyway but definitely will not for a LONG while.

On another note I would like a rematch somehow. If Mizzou wins out and OSU gets beat as do other 1 loss teams maybe one of the at large BCS would take it. It would be smart financially for them to do so. That game would get more attention than the NC game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, at Mass yesterday, Fr. Boudreaux (guess who he's a fan of) made a point to comment on the game, and started to smack talk then stopped quickly. He never made mention in the past of the prior two Bama-barn games, or any other Bama games that I can recall. Yes, it was a remarkable last play, but he didn't mention that at all. He is not considered by most parishioners as the most popular of the two parish priests.

tmv85

All-SEC
One of the interns came in my room this morning before everybody else did, which wasn't unusual. His first words were "it was an exciting weekend" to which I replied "yeah, but unfortunately, I started getting this cold." A few minutes later to broached the subject again, but this time he said he was glad AJ lost. Not the team. AJ.

I asked why, and his reason was "because of his comments." I looked at him with complete confusion and asked what comments. He said, "The ones where he said he likes to see awbrin fans cry and this was 'just another game.'"

Wrong thing to say because 1) you got AJ's quote about fans crying wrong. He said it in reference to ALL fans, not just the ones from the armpit of the universe, and 2) his philosophy, which has been part of the mantra since Saban came, is that each play, each down, each game is just that...the next play, the next down, the next game.

I went on to say that he need not say anything negative about AJ because he is nothing but a class act. And then I pulled up AJ's quote and read it to him verbatim.

The older awbrin fans I can tolerate. The ones who weren't born until the mid to late-80s not so much.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Got mostly Bama fans at work. The few that aren't, are vile fans....

Of course they came in with their laughter and jeers saying "what happened to your beloved Tide Dan?"

I merely said "if I have to spell it out for you, w-e l-o-s-t....I figured as many times as you all have lost, you should be able to spell it backwards!"

I then proceeded to tell them what a shame it is that they have to live vicariously through the victories of other teams to feel relevant......

Not another word has been spoken about it since!

RTR!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Almost everybody has been nice (they are all Ga. Tech and Clemson people) I have had two people take a shot. One made one comment and let it go. The other keeps making comments and will not let it go. He is a partner in the architecture firm so I can tell him what he can do with his comments. He is also a Georgia Tech grad and fan and he is 60 so he has a hatred for all things Alabama.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
At church yesterday, all of the Ohio State folks that are close to me we're very gracious and told me how much they respected what Bama had been able to accomplish the past few years. One even said, OSU would give anything to be in our shoes.

Tomorrow when I return to work, I am sure I will have a few throw salt into the wound.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
In 2010 I made it a point to congratulate all barner co workers on their win and on the NC. I have yet to hear a response from any on the 2011 and 2012 IB or NC games. I congratulated all by email immediately following the game and the taunts began from one I never hear from and who never goes to games despite having a child who lives there. She was telling me how it's great to be a barnie tiger. I just commented that it is today. She responded that it always is, to which I said then why weren't you telling me this last year or all year long.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I never talked smack after the Iron Bowl, no matter what has happened. I'm married to an AU grad, which is bad enough. Most aubies can't help themselves, however, because they don't have much to gloat about on a regular basis. Thank God we moved to Illinois last year and I don't have to listen to them in the workplace. I deactivated my Facebook account last night because I don't want to listen to any more gloating.:)

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
None here, nor at church yesterday. Luckily, there are few if any Auburn fans at my workplace. The only comment I heard was from a great friend & neutral observer who loves sports & doesn't really have a strong team allegiance (went to Millsaps in Jackson). All he said was, "How did they lose that game??" The Auburn grads I know at church are generally nice folks. Since their son is a Sports Mgmt. major @ USM, they were still busy being astounded & stoked about USM's field-dressing of UAB. Didn't get around to UA-AU game at all.

Even on social networks, I've heard VERY little obnoxiousness. Only had to cull one guy from the Facebook friends herd. (He's an LSU fan who was hammering the "Bama's mythical national championships" talking point.) Un-friend is your friend. :biggrin2:

BamaNWE

Dec 9, 2010
I came in to work to find a rubber Barn bracelet hanging on the arm of my chair and another hanging from a horn of a deer I have in my office. I know who did it (he's a Florida fan) and we both needle each other a little all in good fun. I quietly removed them and cut them into teeny tiny pieces and disposed of them like the trash they are. Its like they were never there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.